Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venture 1% cash back?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Venture 1% cash back?

You can get no FTF for free with a QS, so weigh that option. Just use QS where youd incur an FTF and then a double cash or fidelity amex elsewhere. This way no pressure to justify an annual fee.
Message 31 of 45
redpat
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
You can get noFTF for free with aQS, so weigh that option. Just useQS whereyoud incur anFTF and then a double cash or fidelityamex elsewhere. This way no pressure to justify an annual fee.

Not going to juggle cards to save $59. 

If had to worry about $59, I'd kill myself, lol!  We went down this road before.

So you like DC award system of clearing purchases and Citi holds on payments?

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 32 of 45
redpat
Senior Contributor

@black_citi wrote:
I'll wait and see what happens in 6 months. I might keep it or I might consolidate.

No annual fee for the first year,  use the hell out of it for the first year for 2%.  I'm sure there is at least a hotel or some kind of travel within a year.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 33 of 45
black_citi
Established Contributor

You're right red. That's also a viable option. I am starting to hate CCs now lol.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 34 of 45
icyhot
Valued Contributor

As another poster stated I think OP is confusing earning rates with redemption rates. You EARN 2 points for every dollar to REDEEM for 1cent per point for travel. So spending $10000 would give you 20,000 points, thus $200 in travel. 200 is 2% of 10000, not 1%.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 35 of 45
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The dc reward system isnt the best but you do get the 2 percent eventually. Not paying 59 for ventures more instant 2 percent thats restricted
Message 36 of 45
onstar
Established Contributor

Venture is marketed as a TRAVEL card. So if you want to do a comparison with another card, then you should only do it on TRAVEL redemption. Because really, if you're not going to travel much, then this card is not for you.

Having said that, at least for the first 6 years, the Venture is way better than the DC. The $400 signup bonus (if you're disputing this, then read paragraph 1) will pay for over 6.5 years of AF. Plus the no FTF.

I wanted to do the DC but the whole earning thing looked too messy ... so I got the Prestige instead. Yeah, I know, not at all related so I'm not even going to try to compare the two.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 37 of 45
redpat
Senior Contributor

@black_citi wrote:
You're right red. That's also a viable option. I am starting to hateCCs nowlol.

Some of this stuff is pretty entertaining though.

Message 38 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@onstar wrote:

Venture is marketed as a TRAVEL card. So if you want to do a comparison with another card, then you should only do it on TRAVEL redemption. Because really, if you're not going to travel much, then this card is not for you.

Having said that, at least for the first 6 years, the Venture is way better than the DC. The $400 signup bonus (if you're disputing this, then read paragraph 1) will pay for over 6.5 years of AF. Plus the no FTF.

I wanted to do the DC but the whole earning thing looked too messy ... so I got the Prestige instead. Yeah, I know, not at all related so I'm not even going to try to compare the two.

Don't know how much respect we have to give the marketing designation (any more than we did with the Black Visa, where a similar argument would be we have to compare it to "other" cards with prestige, not other better cheaper cards!)     And as general cards can be redeemed for travel as well, the Venture restriction really is a restriction.   

I hate the "for X years it pay AF" type arguments.   Get the Venture for the bonus, and cancel before the AF is due (if the card doesn't make much sense).  You take the money and run, not keep paying AF on the grounds that the bonus pays for it.

Also, not sure what all the fuss is about the complexity of the DC.  You charge, you pay, you earn 2%.  Yes, the 2% comes in two segments, but if you are using the card regulally this is painless enough.   Venture also has extra steps, choosing what to redeem against etc.  Certainly not a whole lot simplier.

But Prestige, sounds like a good choice anyway!

Message 39 of 45
black_citi
Established Contributor

This is why I am glad I found this site. Info like this is very valuable to me. I mean I could have called the CSR and asked them but not all time do they know what's going on. I could have read the paper work that came with the card but it seems some people (if not most) don't do that lol. I'm one of those people. I need to start reading them.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.