Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venture Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Venture Questions

Good Morning Everyone Smiley Happy

I currently have two capital one cards. A soon to be 9 year old QS1 and a 1.5 year old QS. Both of these were converted to QS1/QS from Platinum Mastercards in March 2015. I have 6 vacations next year and I believe it is time for a miles card. I want the Venture just because me and Cap One have been on and off friends for many years and I just prefer them over others. In February, I will have to reserve a hotel and that's when the first trigger is pulled so I'll probably app for the Venture in Feb. I still have 5 collections, and by Feb will probably have 4 (used to have 13+) so it's a little if-fy if I'll get approved.

If I app for the Venture and do not get it, then I plan on trying to PC one of the above cards to a Venture. If I'm successful with that and miss the point bonus, if I apply for a Venture later in 2016 and get it, will they still let me go for the point bonus since I'll already have a Venture? And when I do app and get that venture, is it possible to de-PC the PC'd venture back to a QS?? I don't want to lose my QS1 because that's my oldest card on file and it has a 9.7% APR.

Last question, if I end up with two Ventures, are you able to move the points (or whatever they are called) between the cards like you can do the QS Rewards?

Also to point out, my QS has an Authorized User (my sister) which also throws a wrench into the issues. Just trying to help her get some credit before she sets foot in the real world.

Thanks everyone!! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Venture Questions

check the pre-qual first.  that may clear up some things.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't prequalify for anything unfortunately. Smiley Sad no matter what selection I make or information I put in.

Capital One just recently started sending me Platinum Mastercards to my doorstep. I'm so confused because I already have QS1/QS. Lol

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't prequalify for anything unfortunately. Smiley Sad no matter what selection I make or information I put in.

Capital One just recently started sending me Platinum Mastercards to my doorstep. I'm so confused because I already have QS1/QS. Lol

Venture requires excelent credit. I think if you are under 700 they will deny you. If you don't have many hard hits recently may be worth trying for it though.

Message 4 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 6 vacations next year and I believe it is time for a miles card.

Don't just assume that.  "Miles" cards aren't all the same for one thing.  Some are just restricted cash back cards.  Miles/points programs also vary so you have to carefully consider programs and ensure that you can use redemption methods that maximize value and avoid those that offer poor value.

You really have to look at your spend, the earn rates on potential cards and redemptions for miles/points programs.  Vacations alone don't determine if a card is suited to the individual though it lis likely with 6 vacation in a year that there is a bit of spend there.  Run the number for your spend to verify.  Sign on bonuses may also be worth considering if you can leverage them.

I'd suggest gathering your needs/wants and then selecting a card versus just selecting the Venture.  If you've done your due diligence and have determined that the Venture offers the best rewards for your spend and redemption methods then definitely go with it but don't just rule out other candidates based solely on what you've provided in your OP.

@Anonymous wrote:

I still have 5 collections, and by Feb will probably have 4 (used to have 13+) so it's a little if-fy if I'll get approved. 

See if there's anything you can do to address these.  Hit Rebuilding.  Always work on derogs as they tend to have a signficant impact and hold one back as long as they report.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 6 vacations next year and I believe it is time for a miles card.

Don't just assume that.  "Miles" cards aren't all the same for one thing.  Some are just restricted cash back cards.  Miles/points programs also vary so you have to carefully consider programs and ensure that you can use redemption methods that maximize value and avoid those that offer poor value.

You really have to look at your spend, the earn rates on potential cards and redemptions for miles/points programs.  Vacations alone don't determine if a card is suited to the individual though it lis likely with 6 vacation in a year that there is a bit of spend there.  Run the number for your spend to verify.

I'd suggest gathering your needs/wants and then selecting a card versus just seelcting the Venture.  If you've done your due diligence and have determined that the Venture offers the best rewards for your spend and redemption methods then definitely go with it but don't just rule out other candidates based solely on what you've provided in your OP.

@Anonymous wrote:

I still have 5 collections, and by Feb will probably have 4 (used to have 13+) so it's a little if-fy if I'll get approved. 

See if there's anything you can do to address these.  Hit Rebuilding.  Always work on derogs as they tend to have a signficant impact and hold one back as long as they report.

As this poster said all travel cards aren't created equil. I would look at which airlines or hotels you use most and try to get a card that transfers best to that airline or hotel. Also if you travel a lot a card that gives a good bonus when you travel may pay off for you. I recomend looking at the points guy website he does some good analysys. He does tend to favor the Chase CSP card ( a great card) but I feel he is given a big sign up bonus from chase but it is a good site over all to look at different rewards programs. I would wait and get your score a bit higher and then apply for a card that transfers the best to the airlines and hotes that you like.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm taking a shot at it because I've seen people on who has fair credit scores but gets by because of their profile with Capital One. I'm two months shy of 9 years with them and have a Car Loan through them that've paid over the amount (sometimes $1000+ over the amount) since December 2011. I was hoping these little things would help with that but I'm aware of the collections and whatnot that sits on my CR.

Depends... 8 on Equifax, 5 of Experian, 7 on Transunion (3 on each is Capital One so they account for 9 total Inquires between them)

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I haven't done as much research as I've only looked at a few. I've mainly read up on Venture more than others though. Though, I admit, it is leaning towards the familiarly with Capital One and their random methods lol

From what I've read, their purchase eraser and the abilities to use on anything trip related (flights, rentals, hotels, etc.) seems to work for me. It hurts me that I paid $3.2k (which was just the hotel and flights) on a single trip in November on the Discover IT and it didn't do anything for me. I feel like I could have put that purchase on a card that mattered.  The total of my trips push about $11k which I believe warrants a travel card (I believe?).

The 5 collections that are left are the tougher ones (student loans) so those will take a little bit more time to eliminate!

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I (try) to only stay at SPG and Marriot hotels. SPG is AmEx and they tend to require a higher elite status of credit. I have an AmEx card but they barely let me in the door (as you see with the $500 CL that they won't raise lol). Besides, they're merging with Marriot so I don't know how useful that card will be in the immediate future. The Marriot Card I read up on a little bit. It didn't look to stand out to much for me. Me and Chase has some unfriendly history so I'd rather not poke and prod and wake them at this moment lol

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have the Venture, but I have the Venture One. Venture One also stated "excellent credit" no annual fee, but less miles. When I got the Venture One about a week ago, my scores were between 617-622 because of crazy utilization. I had a Cap1 Credit card 10 years ago when I turned 18. Charged it off in bankruptcy 2 years ago. Also have a Quicksilver and Quicksilver 1 for 1.5 years. If you've been paying on time with them, I don't understand why you wouldn't be approved. I have 3 cards with them. Newest is only 6 months old. They like loyalty it seems like. :-)
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.