cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venture sign up bonus eligible after recently being AU on venture card?

tag
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Venture sign up bonus eligible after recently being AU on venture card?

I've called 4 times and asked the reps and nobody seems to know the answer...

I'll explain my situation.

I'm currently an authorized user on my girlfriends Capital One Venture card she's going to PC it to a QS. After she does that, I want to apply for my own Venture card, I just don't know if I'll still be eligible for the 40,000 miles bonus, seeing as how I was JUST an authorized user of a Venture.

The website says, "Existing or previous accountholders may not be eligible for this one-time bonus."

I just don't know if an authorized user is considered an "accountholder", and none of the reps at Cap1 seem to know either...

Does anyone have some knowledge or experience on this?

I appreciate the answers and help in advance!

Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
6 REPLIES 6
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Venture sign up bonus eligible after recently being AU on venture card?

@Cashbackjunky wrote:
I've called 4 times and asked the reps and nobody seems to know the answer...

I'll explain my situation.

I'm currently an authorized user on my girlfriends Capital One Venture card she's going to PC it to a QS. After she does that, I want to apply for my own Venture card, I just don't know if I'll still be eligible for the 40,000 miles bonus, seeing as how I was JUST an authorized user of a Venture.

The website says, "Existing or previous accountholders may not be eligible for this one-time bonus."

I just don't know if an authorized user is considered an "accountholder", and none of the reps at Cap1 seem to know either...

Does anyone have some knowledge or experience on this?

I appreciate the answers and help in advance!

Cheers!

It wasn't your account, it was your girlfriends and whatever sign up bonuses she may have received would be considered her, not yours. She just allowed you to make purchases against her account.

You should be fine opening your own account and receiving whatever current sign up bonus is available to you as long as you didn't have a previous account that you applied for and were responsible for.

Message 2 of 7
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

That's what I'm thinking too, but I kind of want to double check. I'm hoping someone who has done this in the past can chime in.

Thanks!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

Message 3 of 7
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Just called again and the rep didn't have any idea and he transferred me to the applications department, which is closed until Monday...
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

Message 4 of 7
happypill
Valued Contributor

You can get the Venture bonus even if you yourself have received the bonus and even if you already have another Venture card open.  Lots of people have done it.

Message 5 of 7
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

@happypill wrote:

You can get the Venture bonus even if you yourself have received the bonus and even if you already have another Venture card open.  Lots of people have done it.

Really? So the verbiage from the website I referenced in my OP isn't enforced? 

Good to know!

Thanks!

837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

Message 6 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Cashbackjunky wrote:

@happypill wrote:

Really? So the verbiage from the website I referenced in my OP isn't enforced? 

Good to know!

Thanks!

Yep, that's right... historically this hasn't been enforced even with an existing cardholder applying for the same card again, and getting the bonus a second time (or more).  This could always change at some point, though.

That being said, technically you're not a cardholder, just an AU - the previous bonus went to your GF, not to you - so there's nothing to be concerned with in any case.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.