Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venture vs Quicksilver

tag
Drew
Frequent Contributor

Venture vs Quicksilver

Hello All -

Which of these two cards do you think offers the better rewards for everyday purchases?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: Venture vs Quicksilver

The Venture probably isn't of much use if you aren't doing a lot of traveling.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 20
CreditJim
Established Contributor

The only point I'd make is that you can redeem your Venture 'miles' for gift cards too. So if they offer gift cards in any places that you shop in anyway, it's effectively 2% cashback - that's what I used my 'miles' for.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 3 of 20
Drew
Frequent Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

The only point I'd make is that you can redeem your Venture 'miles' for gift cards too. So if they offer gift cards in any places that you shop in anyway, it's effectively 2% cashback - that's what I used my 'miles' for.

That makes sense, however, I thought you could also redeem miles for cash.  Was I wrong in that assumption?

Message 4 of 20
CreditJim
Established Contributor

You can, but not at a good rate. I'm not certain but I think you only get half by redeeming for cash, so it becomes a 1% cashback card, worse than the Quicksilver. The good thing with redeeming for gift cards is they occasionally run specials, where it's less miles for the same dollar amount gift card, so you're then getting even better than 2% back. Of course, only useful if there's somewhere you'd shop anyway. I recently redeemed 90k miles for $900 Lowe's cards when I knew I needed to make a large purchase there.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 5 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

+1

If travel related expenses aren't available for redemption, GCs are the next best option.  Under no circumstances should one redeem for cash at 0.50 cents per point.  Also, one can purchase hotel GCs, and sell them.  The end result would be a coversion of approximately 1.85% cash equivalents.

However, if cash is the preferred method of redemption, the Quicksilver is better, in my estimation.

Message 6 of 20
Stralem
Established Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

You can, but not at a good rate. I'm not certain but I think you only get half by redeeming for cash, so it becomes a 1% cashback card, worse than the Quicksilver. The good thing with redeeming for gift cards is they occasionally run specials, where it's less miles for the same dollar amount gift card, so you're then getting even better than 2% back. Of course, only useful if there's somewhere you'd shop anyway. I recently redeemed 90k miles for $900 Lowe's cards when I knew I needed to make a large purchase there.

Interesting.

I finally got Cap One to change my Journey into a Quicksilver after like five months of trying. Do you think it would be worth it to PC to a Venture, or even a Venture One?

Everyone Else.
Message 7 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@CreditJim wrote:

Interesting.

I finally got Cap One to change my Journey into a Quicksilver after like five months of trying. Do you think it would be worth it to PC to a Venture, or even a Venture One?

There is NO point in changing a QS into a Venture One!   Venture One has a lower redemption rate than QS and less convenient redemption.

Exception is if the QS has an AF (Quicksilver One?) but then I would work on getting the AF dropped rather than convert.

Venture has an AF, and by PCing you lose the sign up bonus, but see if your spend is enough.

Message 8 of 20
CreditJim
Established Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@CreditJim wrote:

Interesting.

There is absolutely no point in PC'ing to the Venture One from a Quicksilver as it's the worst rewards rate of the bunch at only 1.25%. The extra 0.5% you'd gain by PC'ing to the Venture would only be worth it if you spend enough on the card to justify the AF AND there's giftcard options you like IMHO.

Edit to add - Or of course, it could be worth it if you do actually travel and have costs that could be erased using the Venture 'miles'.

Message 9 of 20
Stralem
Established Contributor

Thanks guys. I honestly have no desire for a Venture of any variety, nor do I travel (that changes next year, though). Just never considered the gift card angle.

Everyone Else.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.