cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VentureOne or Barclays Arrival Mastercard?

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: VentureOne or Barclays Arrival Mastercard?

So I've gotten a couple of ARs on this thread. I simply want to say this.. I've removed the offending posts. What posts that are left are fine. If you aren't enjoying speaking to each other, I'd recommend to end the topic... period. Walk away from the thread. Smiley Happy Thanks!!
Message 31 of 42
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Kenny wrote:
So I've gotten a couple of ARs on this thread. I simply want to say this.. I've removed the offending posts. What posts that are left are fine. If you aren't enjoying speaking to each other, I'd recommend to end the topic... period. Walk away from the thread. Smiley Happy Thanks!!

In other words are there any actual adults left in here?

Please act like it.

Message 32 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the advice and the entertainment. I appreciate all of your opinions and thoughts, even if it turned ugly. 

You're the man Kenny. 

Message 33 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I understand the Capital One rewards system correctly, then wouldn’t it make sense to convert the VentureOne into a Quicksilver after earning the better signup bonus? VentureOne is marketed as a travel card, and Quicksilver as an everyday card, but I don’t really see any differences in the cards apart from the initial bonus and long-term rewards rate. Am I missing something? Quicksilver has no foreign transaction fees, and once you get those out of the way, just about anything can be called a travel card.

Amex did seem a bit behind the times (until the recent announcement of upcoming changes) in charging those on the PRG.

Message 34 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I understand the Capital One rewards system correctly, then wouldn’t it make sense to convert the VentureOne into a Quicksilver after earning the better signup bonus? VentureOne is marketed as a travel card, and Quicksilver as an everyday card, but I don’t really see any differences in the cards apart from the initial bonus and long-term rewards rate. Am I missing something? Quicksilver has no foreign transaction fees, and once you get those out of the way, just about anything can be called a travel card.

This is accurate.  

I can think of no compelling reason to apply for the Venture One over the Quicksilver.  At least the Venture would have a 40K bonus and 2X spending for 12 months before reqeustiing a potential PC to the QS.

Message 35 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Also, not to reignite the debate, but even without bonuses:   if you get the Arrival +, you get 2x everything that first year, with no AF.   With Arrival, you get 2x only on some things.   So, yes, it generally is a worse card.

The only downside is the need to PC after the first year (or close if things change and PC isn't available).   But if that really is a barrier, so are a lot of things discussed here (recon, asking for CLI etc).

And as I've said before, if your spend is really small, then we end up arguing about very little indeed.   The difference between 1 and 2% on a small spend is not worth the time discussing it.  Instead of posting, go and find some coupons or price compare your local supermarkets and you will earn more.

Message 36 of 42
jsucool76
Super Contributor

All I'm going to say is that the ventureone is a pointless offering by capital one. It offers 1.25% back and redemption is limited to travel. The quicksilver offers 1.5% back (still no annual fee) redeemable for straight cash.

The ventureone card should never even be considered, for any reason. Just throwing away rewards.
Message 37 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Also, not to reignite the debate, but even without bonuses:   if you get the Arrival +, you get 2x everything that first year, with no AF.   With Arrival, you get 2x only on some things.   So, yes, it generally is a worse card.

The only downside is the need to PC after the first year (or close if things change and PC isn't available).   But if that really is a barrier, so are a lot of things discussed here (recon, asking for CLI etc).

And as I've said before, if your spend is really small, then we end up arguing about very little indeed.   The difference between 1 and 2% on a small spend is not worth the time discussing it.  Instead of posting, go and find some coupons or price compare your local supermarkets and you will earn more.

I was so distracted by the side discussions that I neglected to bring up this point.  

Over the years, I've always made the best effort to offer a poster the best advice based on what I believe is the best value proposition.  Whether they accept it or not, isn't relevant; but, what is however is that a person receives the pertinent information with which to make an informed decision.  On this thread, in between the side discussions and my considerations of what "may" or "may not" be discussed ended in my offering the OP a dimished quality of advice than I otherwise would have in years past without these recent restrictions.

Message 38 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
All I'm going to say is that the ventureone is a pointless offering by capital one. It offers 1.25% back and redemption is limited to travel. The quicksilver offers 1.5% back (still no annual fee) redeemable for straight cash.

The ventureone card should never even be considered, for any reason. Just throwing away rewards.

This is true.  

I can't believe rather than addressing this, I got distracted by the side stuff.  The OP could have gotten better advice on this thread, especially from me.

Message 39 of 42
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Aw. I missed all the fun. Smiley Tongue

Also, to harken back to the earlier posts of this thread:

It is nearly impossible to not spend enough to meet bonus min spends.

Just go to a friend, or relative, pay all their bills and get $$ from them. That's what I do.
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.