Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification Process

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Verification Process

I had a lot of trouble logging in to my mobile accounts when I used a new phone.  I have had a previous address on my CRs that wasn't mine, managed to get it removed but it comes back from time to time.   So two banks kept presenting me with questions from the CRs for verification  "Which of these was your street address in Qunicy"    and when I said "none of the above" that was clearly the wrong answer and it presented a lot more questions (including that again) until I finally got enough right in a row.

So I guess I better learn the details of the wrong address for next time!

Message 31 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I had a lot of trouble logging in to my mobile accounts when I used a new phone.  I have had a previous address on my CRs that wasn't mine, managed to get it removed but it comes back from time to time.   So two banks kept presenting me with questions from the CRs for verification  "Which of these was your street address in Qunicy"    and when I said "none of the above" that was clearly the wrong answer and it presented a lot more questions (including that again) until I finally got enough right in a row.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way, too...

I used to live on a street called Heather Lane.  About half the time, when given an address verification question, in the list will be "999 Heather Ridge".  My house on Heather Lane was in a corner of town referred to as Heather Ridge on the legal paperwork, but the development was signed and known as something completely different. 

The first few times I assumed the "999 Heather Ridge" was a trick, and I would select 'none of the above', and like you, would get more detailed questions, usually the amount of a car payment for a car I had back in the 90s (yep, really...).  I finally learned to just go with "Heather Ridge" and the problems for the most part went away.

I've had various amounts of luck getting the addresses cleaned up from my reports.  There are addresses on a couple of them that I've never lived at (or even received mail at) but they are so far down the list of all the various spellings of the places I have lived I've just grown to ignore them.  Sometimes when I'm really bored I might give it another go... Smiley Frustrated

Message 32 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yeah, I learned that the hard way, too...

I used to live on a street called Heather Lane.  About half the time, when given an address verification question, in the list will be "999 Heather Ridge".  My house on Heather Lane was in a corner of town referred to as Heather Ridge on the legal paperwork, but the development was signed and known as something completely different. 

The first few times I assumed the "999 Heather Ridge" was a trick, and I would select 'none of the above', and like you, would get more detailed questions, usually the amount of a car payment for a car I had back in the 90s (yep, really...).  I finally learned to just go with "Heather Ridge" and the problems for the most part went away.

I've had various amounts of luck getting the addresses cleaned up from my reports.  There are addresses on a couple of them that I've never lived at (or even received mail at) but they are so far down the list of all the various spellings of the places I have lived I've just grown to ignore them.  Sometimes when I'm really bored I might give it another go... Smiley Frustrated

Nice.  My case is a little different since I never lived in that town at all, so none of the addresses are the least bit recognizable.    Hey, wonder if it where longtime_lurker lived!

Message 33 of 38
toi34
Established Contributor

I hate when they pull from Public Records. Somehow there are two men I don't know, nor are relatives, that verification departments ask me about. They only thing me and these two men have in common are our last names?! ...yet they ask me their birthdays and city of residence????! Luckily only Bloomingdales does this whenever I have asked for a CLI. So I have just resigned myself to NEVER GETTING A CLI from Bloomingsales! Smiley Very Happy

Message 34 of 38
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@TuffTurkey wrote:

Just got off the phone with cap1. They recieved Docs and said it can take up to 3 weeks for a decision and if approved then they will send a card and the whole 7-10  it takes to get it.

Three weeks that's a little excessive. 

Message 35 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@toi34 wrote:

I hate when they pull from Public Records. Somehow there are two men I don't know, nor are relatives, that verification departments ask me about. They only thing me and these two men have in common are our last names?! ...yet they ask me their birthdays and city of residence????! Luckily only Bloomingdales does this whenever I have asked for a CLI. So I have just resigned myself to NEVER GETTING A CLI from Bloomingsales! Smiley Very Happy

Is there any way to remove innacurate info from public records, or will only removing them from CRs do? Because that sounds like a pain in the butt for something that isn't even your fault.

Message 36 of 38
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@toi34 wrote:

Is there any way to remove innacurate info from public records, or will only removing them from CRs do? Because that sounds like a pain in the butt for something that isn't even your fault.

The credit bureaus and CCC's use Innovis and Ardis the majority of the time for extra info on them.  You can get copies, especially of your report from Innovis.  They have a number of different files on you and packages they sell with your information so be sure to ask for all reports.  I think there's one they don't have to give you but the rest you can get.  You can try to correct info and you can also also freeze your reports.  Their are sites you can google where they have input from people that have gone through all of this.

The major thing that is objectionable about these companies are that they are, in a sense, another type of credit bureau and a reporting company all in one, yet they don't have to operate under the same guidelines nor can you use the same methods to dispute.  But Cap One for instance is a big puller of Innovis' info on applicants as are many others.  And if you can deal with the hassle of it all it can be quite eye opening to see how much information they have collected about you and distribute.

Message 37 of 38
iv
Valued Contributor

@Dahlia77 wrote:
The major thing that is objectionable about these companies are that they are, in a sense, another type of credit bureau and a reporting company all in one, yet they don't have to operate under the same guidelines nor can you use the same methods to dispute.  

...not "in a sense" - they are CRAs, and they are just as subject to the FCRA as the big three, including consumer access to reports, and accuracy/dispute handling. Same rules.

The CFPB publishes a list of CRAs here: http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201501_cfpb_list-consumer-reporting-agencies.pdf

Quoting their introduction page:

The list includes information about how you can obtain copies of your reports. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), all CRAs are required to give you a copy of your report if you request it. Many will do so every twelve months for free if you request it. Additionally, they must give you a free copy of your consumer report if an adverse action is taken against you based on information in your report from that company, and under other specific circumstances. All CRAs must provide you with a copy of your report for a reasonable fee (for calendar year 2015, the maximum allowable fee is $12.00). Keep in mind that not every CRA will have information on every consumer.

Most of the companies in this list provide reports for free. We tell you which do. To order your report from a company listed below, simply click on the company link we provide. Some companies have separate forms for requests by postal mail. We provide links to those forms for you too.

It’s important to fact-check your credit reports from the biggest nationwide CRAs every twelve months to ensure they are accurate, especially if you intend to purchase a home or car or otherwise intend to apply for credit in the future. If you are applying for a job, lease or insurance policy, fact-check specialty reports ahead of time to ensure there are no errors. Finally, if you have been a victim of identity theft, fact-check your reports.

If you find information in your consumer report that you believe is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right under the FCRA to dispute the report’s content with the CRA and the company that furnished the data. Under the FCRA, companies must conduct – free of charge – a reasonable investigation of your dispute. The company that has provided the incorrect information is obligated to correct the error, and to notify all of the CRAs with whom it provided the inaccurate information, so they can update their reports with the correct information. No one can remove information that is current, accurate and negative. Beware of those who claim that they can. It is probably a credit repair scam.

You can learn more about disputing a reporting error on our website, and what to do if you see the same error in more than one report. You can also submit a complaint to us. We will forward your complaint to the company and work to get you a response. We handle consumer reporting complaints about report accuracy and completeness errors, and other consumer reporting topics, such as, if you are dissatisfied with a company’s investigation of an earlier dispute, if you believe your consumer report was used improperly, if you have problems getting access to your consumer reports, or if you are dissatisfied with consumer reporting products and services, such as credit monitoring and identity protection. Visit our website to see if a company listed below appears in our Consumer Complaint Database.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.