Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification Process

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: Verification Process

there are companies out there like tu eq ex that use credit bureaus information, state info, drivers liscense info, property info, etc. they go indepth into your background and match it out with those questions they ask. the card companies pay them to do that. 

Message 11 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm shocked they ask for your relatives' info

i haven't moved much, changed jobs much, and pretty stable, established history so i don't have much for the credit card companies to "verify"

for citi and amex when i first started it was a simple online application and approval.

for discover, i vaguely recall them asking me questions like which street address are you associated with and than give four options..or what lender have you had a mortgage with..again with multiple choice and there was like five of these..

amex when i applied again, maybe because i'm already a member? none.

chase..they said i made a mistake on my app in leaving part of it blank..but other than that and my CR being frozen when i applied, there was no further verification needed.

pretty lucky and am not pushing it as i won't be apping for a long time *knock on wood*

Message 12 of 38
ddemari
Super Contributor

Ive had them ask me people i was assocaited with and it was an ex who i used to live with. I get the family stuff all time and its specifc info otherwise if it were vague, u would possibly answer wrong. Sometimes its the streets and loans u have and more times its a variety of public information shared that is not stated directly on your cr report but can be associated with.
Message 13 of 38
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

@Saleen099 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Saleen099 wrote:

Your story and thoughts about going through verification with the credit card company?   

My only real experience with verification was, oddly enough, with Care Credit.

After I submitted my app, it processed for what seemed like minutes, then web page told me they needed to verify my identity.  It then proceeded to ask me three questions; one of which was a company I "had been associated with" - which was a previous employer, easy enough.  Question#2 asked me to select a car I've owned from a list, and it reached way back, as in late 90s... made me think a minute, but no problem.  The last question gave me the name of one of my brothers, and asked me to provide his month of birth (!).  This one genuinely impressed/creeped me out a bit, but of course I knew the answer... no problem. 

Apparently something was still not quite on the mark, because then I was given an application number and instructed to call a toll free number.  I called the number, and got a very friendly lady.  After taking my application number and verifying my name, she asked me to confirm my cell phone number (I gave my cell as my home phone, but didn't indicate this - either she assumed, or had a way to know).  She then sent me a text message with a five-digit number, and asked me to read the number back to her.  I did so, and after a few seconds of 'furious' clicking away at her keyboard, she told me, "congratulations, you're account has been approved".  She also volunteered to give me the new account number over the phone, which I've never had another company do before.

Very thorough, but a bit 'weird' how they knew details about my siblings...

I went to the similar situation (CHASE)and they were asking things I was very very awkward and scared  to answer even know I knew the answer. My question is is where do they gather all this information from? 

Lexis Nexus, Innovis?

Message 14 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Dahlia77 wrote:

@Saleen099 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Saleen099 wrote:

Your story and thoughts about going through verification with the credit card company?   

My only real experience with verification was, oddly enough, with Care Credit.

After I submitted my app, it processed for what seemed like minutes, then web page told me they needed to verify my identity.  It then proceeded to ask me three questions; one of which was a company I "had been associated with" - which was a previous employer, easy enough.  Question#2 asked me to select a car I've owned from a list, and it reached way back, as in late 90s... made me think a minute, but no problem.  The last question gave me the name of one of my brothers, and asked me to provide his month of birth (!).  This one genuinely impressed/creeped me out a bit, but of course I knew the answer... no problem. 

Apparently something was still not quite on the mark, because then I was given an application number and instructed to call a toll free number.  I called the number, and got a very friendly lady.  After taking my application number and verifying my name, she asked me to confirm my cell phone number (I gave my cell as my home phone, but didn't indicate this - either she assumed, or had a way to know).  She then sent me a text message with a five-digit number, and asked me to read the number back to her.  I did so, and after a few seconds of 'furious' clicking away at her keyboard, she told me, "congratulations, you're account has been approved".  She also volunteered to give me the new account number over the phone, which I've never had another company do before.

Very thorough, but a bit 'weird' how they knew details about my siblings...

I went to the similar situation (CHASE)and they were asking things I was very very awkward and scared  to answer even know I knew the answer. My question is is where do they gather all this information from? 

Lexis Nexus, Innovis?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. 

Especially Lexis... there's not much they miss.

Message 15 of 38
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
Ive had them ask me people i was assocaited with and it was an ex who i used to live with. I get the family stuff all time and its specifc info otherwise if it were vague, u would possibly answer wrong. Sometimes its the streets and loans u have and more times its a variety of public information shared that is not stated directly on your cr report but can be associated with.

Well, it's not unheard of for people to not be able to answer their own verification questions. For some reason, I always get "what color is your car?" on mine. Smiley Frustrated I think it was for my Barclays Savings account that they asked the name of the street I lived on when I was 4 years old. (Good thing I lived on that street until I was 14 or else I may not have remembered!)

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 16 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Callandra wrote:

@ddemari wrote:

Well, it's not unheard of for people to not be able to answer their own verification questions. For some reason, I always get "what color is your car?" on mine. Smiley Frustrated I think it was for my Barclays Savings account that they asked the name of the street I lived on when I was 4 years old. (Good thing I lived on that street until I was 14 or else I may not have remembered!)

Yeah, I've had that problem before myself. 

Sometimes when they're asking about old addresses, they'll show a 'mish-mash' of an old address and the "legal" name of the developent the house was in.  Technically it's incorrect, and I should choose "none of the above" as my selection - what if it were a trick question?  LOL - but when I see it I know it's what they're looking for, so I just choose it and it usually works...

Message 17 of 38
ddemari
Super Contributor

I had blocked this out of head but when I did an online verification with PNC bank and also for Barneys NYC credit card. The questions they asked me, made me have to research quickly for property information. My grandfather has the same name as me. We both live in the same state. For some reason, if I white page him, my name is also shown under his address, I can tell because of my middle Initial. 

So I get a series of questios regarding a mortgage taken out in 1995, the sale price of the house from 1995, if any of these lenders where used to mortgage the house. 

Mind you, I dont live there and thats that not my house. The last question asks about a credit card opened in Nov. 2014, one of the anwsers is Barclays.

So I go to zillow.com real quick. have to find out the sale price of the house in 1995 etc, enter it in with the barclays question and was approved. It was super confusing to me lol. 

Message 18 of 38
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

I had one of those questions asked by Chase  on Wednesday about a family member that I have not spoken to or heard from him in over 15 years  if it wouldn't for the possible answers I probably never even got it right. 

Message 19 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whenever I app or request a CLI on a credit card that pulls Equifax, the company has to verify that I'm the one making the request. It can be a pain especially if I'm out of town, but other than that its no big deal. Best of luck!!!
Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.