TEB
TEB

Very Worried!! Will this work!!!??

My credit scores are 708 (TU), 685 (EQ) and 677 (EX).  I need a middle score of 700 to qualify for a mortgage loan. 

I have one late payment appearing in 11/2004.  Since then the card has been paid off. I have never made a late payment since.

I have 2 revolving credit cards:

One with a $1,680 balance and $5000 limit

One with a $14,818 balance with a $20,000 limit

I paid down the credit card with the $14,818 balance to $5500 bringing my Util down from about 87% to 37%.  Do you think this could give me a 15 point increase on my FICO score?

Frequent Contributor
LisaJ

Re: Very Worried!! Will this work!!!??

[ Edited ]

It worked wonders for me, paying down balances, but honestly, it is so individual that I don't think anyone can say for certain.  It may be worth a try, through.

I have jumped a lot of points in a few months, but I changed my credit mix, and the new mortgage had a lot to do with it, too,  giving me my biggest jump. Card-wise, I paid down $2500 worth...score jumped about 9 points at that time, and I added a couple of new accounts to raise my util.

Edited to add:  Have you considered FHA?  You may want to ask this in the mortgage forum if you haven't already; the gurus over there are  filled with great info and got me through my loan nightmare!

Message Edited by LisaJ on 03-16-2009 09:13 AM
WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Frequent Contributor
ralbusta

I've heard estimates of 10 pts per 10% util dropped. The change in my scores in my sig from dec to now is from a drop in util from 80+% to 1%. I've also heard that if you get it under 30% you can get a good boost. I think you should have 15 pts for sure by what you've done already!
Moderator Emeritus

This is a duplicate posting that has been posted on a few different forums.

I am locking this thread and all off the duplicates, except for 1.

Please see http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=34796

Please read the Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines, Terms of Service, and User Guidelines as "bombing" the site with repetitive postings or excessive cross posting is prohibited.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+