TEB

Very Worried!! Will this work!!!??

My credit scores are 708 (TU), 685 (EQ) and 677 (EX).  I need a middle score of 700 to qualify for a mortgage loan. 

I have one late payment appearing in 11/2004.  Since then the card has been paid off. I have never made a late payment since.

I have 2 revolving credit cards:

One with a $1,680 balance and $5000 limit

One with a $14,818 balance with a $20,000 limit

I paid down the credit card with the $14,818 balance to $5500 bringing my Util down from about 87% to 37%.  Do you think this could give me a 15 point increase on my FICO score?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Very Worried!! Will this work!!!??

[ Edited ]

It worked wonders for me, paying down balances, but honestly, it is so individual that I don't think anyone can say for certain.  It may be worth a try, through.

I have jumped a lot of points in a few months, but I changed my credit mix, and the new mortgage had a lot to do with it, too,  giving me my biggest jump. Card-wise, I paid down $2500 worth...score jumped about 9 points at that time, and I added a couple of new accounts to raise my util.

Edited to add:  Have you considered FHA?  You may want to ask this in the mortgage forum if you haven't already; the gurus over there are  filled with great info and got me through my loan nightmare!

Message Edited by LisaJ on 03-16-2009 09:13 AM
WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Frequent Contributor

I've heard estimates of 10 pts per 10% util dropped. The change in my scores in my sig from dec to now is from a drop in util from 80+% to 1%. I've also heard that if you get it under 30% you can get a good boost. I think you should have 15 pts for sure by what you've done already!
Moderator Emeritus

This is a duplicate posting that has been posted on a few different forums.

I am locking this thread and all off the duplicates, except for 1.

Please see http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=34796

Please read the Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines, Terms of Service, and User Guidelines as "bombing" the site with repetitive postings or excessive cross posting is prohibited.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.