Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very bad Cap 1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very bad Cap 1

Ok I finished and submitted our 2016 taxes tonight.  As I knew we owed.  I wanted to use my Citi DC for all but owe more than cl.    I asked them for cli - denied not 6 months since last cli..So instead I maxed it out and wanted to put rest on my Cap 1 and take the small loss  .38% .   I owe nothing and have no pending on QS  so this should be a breeze.  Instead   they declined the transaction.  Not nice.  Just for fun earlier today I found out I PQ for a new QS with better rate than my current card .  So I had  been thinking of chat to get the better rate. Now I am thinIking of SD instead.   I used dw Capt 1 to pay it off.  Hey it was not a totally bad night Disco gave me $2500 increase

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Hex
Valued Contributor

Re: Very bad Cap 1

I think I read somewhere that banks keep track of where you use your CCs and they sometimes take AA if you charge things like tax payments or attorney's fees.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never hear that before.   With my Citi  DC I make money as feee is less than cash back. 

Message 3 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Did you find out why they declined it?   Just a fraud alert or some other reason?

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

No idea. Even with the fee I was still below the limit but at a high utization.  I really did not want to go waiting til morning to call as Mondays are very hetic til after lunch and I was scared I would forget.  No fraud email/phone call  They took DW Cap 1 card.  She has a high limit   I had my Cap 1 card declined a few months ago on a site that did not allow cash back cards.  (very strange)   I had my Disco card ready just in case..  I have used Disco to pay last year with double cash bonus.   Disco just gave me $2500 cli yesterday so  they still love me. 

Message 5 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'm sorry to hear you had issues with your Capital One card.  If it were me, I would still call them to find out what happened.

Occasionally I'll get a text message (and email) if their fraud algorithm picks up something, but it's always after the fact - so far they've never declined anything.  After I reply to the message they respond back that I can try again if the first transaction was declined.

Capital One is my 'go-to' for those times where I don't want to deal with any issues... i.e. it's the card I usually use when I need the transaction to simply work with no drama.

Message 6 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah Backwoods on the DiscoverSmiley Happy Their love is fleetingSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you had issues with your Capital One card.  If it were me, I would still call them to find out what happened.

Occasionally I'll get a text message (and email) if their fraud algorithm picks up something, but it's always after the fact - so far they've never declined anything.  After I reply to the message they respond back that I can try again if the first transaction was declined.

Capital One is my 'go-to' for those times where I don't want to deal with any issues... i.e. it's the card I usually use when I need the transaction to simply work with no drama.

I thought Cap 1 was a safe go to card.  I was trying to save money by using that one (Higher cash back) . I have put charges up to $10K on dw Amex BCP on more than one occassion and never had them bat an eyelash.  (DW limit is $20K)    My next game plan would have been Disco..  The largest Disco charge I have have ever put through was around $3K.   

Hopefully, Friday or Monday my Jeep will be back from the shop.  I owe $1K for new carpet and running boards which was what it was in  the shop when some one tried to steal it.  I also owe my  insurance deductable  $500.  You may have seen my misc post (Smorgasboard)  where some one tried to steal my Jeep from the repair shop did  about $1K interior damage plus another $2K electical damage,  The shorted out everything.    I am still upset.  They tried to steel another Jeep and a Dodge Durrango same night. I want max cash back on this little purchase but don't want to be denied when I go to pick this up and pay for with my C1 QS,

I am going to take your suggestion UncleB and call them before i try anything large.    

Message 8 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I thought Cap 1 was a safe go to card.  I was trying to save money by using that one (Higher cash back) . I have put charges up to $10K on dw Amex BCP on more than one occassion and never had them bat an eyelash.  (DW limit is $20K)    My next game plan would have been Disco..  The largest Disco charge I have have ever put through was around $3K.   

Hopefully, Friday or Monday my Jeep will be back from the shop.  I owe $1K for new carpet and running boards which was what it was in  the shop when some one tried to steal it.  I also owe my  insurance deductable  $500.  You may have seen my misc post (Smorgasboard)  where some one tried to steal my Jeep from the repair shop did  about $1K interior damage plus another $2K electical damage,  The shorted out everything.    I am still upset.  They tried to steel another Jeep and a Dodge Durrango same night. I want max cash back on this little purchase but don't want to be denied when I go to pick this up and pay for with my C1 QS,

I am going to take your suggestion UncleB and call them before i try anything large.    

The few times I've reached out to Capital One proactively they seemed genuinely confused (which confused me). 

The first time was to let them know an international charge would be coming through... the guy kept telling me how much available credit I had rather than acknowledge that he understood that I was about to make an international purchase (which isn't typical for me).  Since I'm more accustomed to USAA needing to know about out-of-the-ordinary purchases (and appreciating my letting them know) I admit the lack of concern I perceived with Capital One was annoying, but in any case my order went though with no problem.

The other time I reached out to them was before a large purchase; I got transferred to several different reps who (yet again) seemed confused as to why I was calling, and kept reassuring me that my charge would be OK.  Finally they agreed to take my details, but stressed to me that if it didn't work I could call them on the spot and they could push it through.

I don't know if they actually did something or not, but that purchase was approved with no hassle.  I was on 'standby' to call them up and wouldn't have been too bothered by it, but I was glad it wasn't necessary.

In your case, I would call them now and ask about the declined transaction... for several days they will still be able to see it in their system and might be able to determine what happened.  When you go to get your Jeep (sorry about that, BTW) just have your cell phone with you when the charge is run, and if there's a problem you can have Capital One clear it on the spot (or if you subscribe to text alerts, you can clear it yourself).

Message 9 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Definitely call. It's possible that you encountered merchant error and that Capital One didn't even see the attempt to charge.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.