Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very impressed with Citi Prestige

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Very impressed with Citi Prestige

Recently every time I've called or chatted citi I've gotten a "We see you've been a customer for over 2 years, I just want to thank you for your loyalty." and 2 years isn't even a long time.

Not sure if that has to do with my opening of a citigold account or not, but I've downgraded it now and it still continues, so who knows.

I look down on all customer service ever since getting the ritz card though. It's spoiled every other lender for me.
Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

The notion that you wouldn't take advantage of the free golf benefit because it's only for one person is a bit strange.  If your golfing buddies even know that's it free for you not sure why they would be upset.  Let them get their own cards or if bothers you so much, divide the cost for paying for 3 people by 4 and everyone saves a little.  I play golf all the time and on many occasions other golfers have free rounds due to bonus cards, etc and it never bothered me once.

Message 22 of 33
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The notion that you wouldn't take advantage of the free golf benefit because it's only for one person is a bit strange.  If your golfing buddies even know that's it free for you not sure why they would be upset.  Let them get their own cards or if bothers you so much, divide the cost for paying for 3 people by 4 and everyone saves a little.  I play golf all the time and on many occasions other golfers have free rounds due to bonus cards, etc and it never bothered me once.

Just joking "a round".....

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 23 of 33
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Redpat is the new king of myfico.
Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very informative thread. Thanks OP!
Message 25 of 33
CreditJim
Established Contributor

@tr24 wrote:

Can you elaborate on the details?  What is your spending like?  How did you get so many points? Is that from the sign up bonus alone? 

Yes, from the sign-up bonus from the Prestige and Premier combined, plus the points from the spend required to get there. I've been impressed with the Premier too in how quickly points add up with my spending, it will be a tough call deciding whether to close that or not.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 26 of 33
CreditJim
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Ah Amex vs Citi in travel perks. 

FHR vs 4th free night

SPG and Hilton gold status vs citi / none

Rental car company status upgrade vs citi none

Golf none / citi 3 rounds, but for cardholder only.  I would have a hard time not paying while others pay.  Golf by yourself whoo hoo.

AA relationship none vs citi yes

200 air reimb. vs citi 250

Avios partner vs citi no for AA work around and good for shot hauls.

citi net jets to rich for my blood, lol.

i might have forgot something but I think I highlighted most.

Both are great cards and each has it's pluses and minuses.

When it comes to the reimbursement not only does the prestige offer more, but its also far easier to get reimbursement since it can be for any airline (where amex requires you to commit to specific airline ahead of time) and it applies to airfare (amex does not reimburse airfare.

SPG gold status for plat is here now, but with recent aquisition by marriott that perk will likely disappear in the future. Hilton gold can be obtained for cheaper, but I agree that citi would be well served linking a hotel status with this card.

Not mentioned but both have lounge status. The plat gives centurion/delta/PP & prestige gives AA and PP. However, the PP via prestige lets you get a guest in for free so it is better than plat when it comes to the PP portion. 

FHR vs 4th free night - These are two different services. Also keep in mind in addition to fourth free night the prestige is a world elite mastercard which has World experiences which is similiar to FHR. 

Prestige has category bonuses where Plat does not. 

Overall I think the prestige comes out ahead unless you need delta lounge access or frequent an airport with centurion lounges or if the hotels you use via FHR are not covered by world experiences. 

Agree with this. I had the Amex Plat before - and I love the Centurion lounges, of which one is in my home airport, but having AA access plus the PP + guest is more useful to me overall. I'm hoping that AA step up their game with their lounges. Having the bonus categories with the Prestige is also very nice, especially with the ease of redemption at a higher rate with AA. SPG status isn't an issue for me as I'm a Plat and qualify on stays anyway with the boost from my personal & business SPG cards. I can honestly see myself keeping the Prestige for a while, its value works out great for me.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 27 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

Agree with this. I had the Amex Plat before - and I love the Centurion lounges, of which one is in my home airport, but having AA access plus the PP + guest is more useful to me overall. I'm hoping that AA step up their game with their lounges. Having the bonus categories with the Prestige is also very nice, especially with the ease of redemption at a higher rate with AA. SPG status isn't an issue for me as I'm a Plat and qualify on stays anyway with the boost from my personal & business SPG cards. I can honestly see myself keeping the Prestige for a while, its value works out great for me.

Likewise.

However, my conundrum is pay the fees for the JPM Ritz, Plat, and Concierge.  Initially, I was going to get rid of the Plat, but with the Centurion Lounges, I've decided to keep it.  While I'm reticent to pay $1,000 in fees just for 3 cards, the benefit of all three has exceeded the costs.

If the Prestige's golf benefit works at Pebble Beach, I'm keeping the card until time immemorial.

Message 28 of 33
jsucool76
Super Contributor

You can check the golf portal to see if it is listed and book your rounds there.

I have all 3 cards as well and I'm torn as to which to keep. I'm really hoping that citi improves the concierge/4th night free quote/booking process.

The plat got a lot more attractive with the addition of citi gold status, but I'm a Marriott man. Ritz and Prestige are definitely keepers for me. Still iffy on the Platinum.
Message 29 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
You can check the golf portal to see if it is listed and book your rounds there.

I have all 3 cards as well and I'm torn as to which to keep. I'm really hoping that citi improves the concierge/4th night free quote/booking process.

The plat got a lot more attractive with the addition of citi gold status, but I'm a Marriott man. Ritz and Prestige are definitely keepers for me. Still iffy on the Platinum.

Well, I'm going to be one too, soon enough!

While I may redeem all SPG points, I'm also accumulating Marriott points.  Of course, I'll keep an open mind and not ready to abandon the new Marriott/SPG program even before I know what it entails.  I haven't stayed at a Marriott in about 10 or 15 years, since my Corp days.  Back then, I just felt the value was underwhelming and cluttered with middle management Execs clad in cheap suits.

Maybe, like Citi, Marriott has improved.  I'll find out, soon enough.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.