tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Viewed the same ?

Suppose 3 different scenarios

1-15k limit card
3-5k limit cards
15-1k limit cards

Assuming all other credit factors being equal, would lenders view each of the above scenarios the same or would one look better than the other(s) ?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Viewed the same ?

It's nothing but speculation, but I would say three cards at $5K each.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. Lenders look at the whole profile. So if the first one was your only card, some lenders may say you do not have enough credit history (thin file).

The third one is where I am guilty of, and get in trouble a lot. Lenders like Chase see this as a credit risk for too many accounts opened, especially if it is in a short amount of time.
The third one is ideal. Because it shows that not only are you experienced with large limits, you have the ability to handle multiple accounts with those limits
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correction: I meant to say the second one is ideal.
This is what happens when you're typing on your phone.�
Message 4 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I agree, the second one is probably more preferred.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 7
olehammer
Frequent Contributor

I would bet that option 1 would best maximise your score. You want at least three tradelines open and higher limits on the three would help your single card utilization.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

it depends on your personal report I would imagine... you want both higher limits and higher average age...

say you have 1 card with 15k limit that you've had for 5 years let's say for example... yea the limit is nice and high, but now you decide to open another card and boom, your average age just went down to 2.5 years... but if you're the person with low limits, you'd really wanna get the one card with higher limit to establish some history with high limits

opposed to if you have 15 cards with 1k limit, opening a new line will barely even lower your average age... but your limits aren't high so you have no history of being responsible with high limits... but also... if you previously had 2x 20 year credit cards and now you open 15 new accounts, you've pretty much wasted all you credit history with new accounts and dropped your AAoA to nothing

bottom line, you want higher limits... you want to have a lot of old accounts and open few new ones... I think for most people, option #2 is the most ideal... decent number of lines that shouldn't hurt you too bad and limits are decent...  but I can see how option 1 or option 3 could be preferable in some cases

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.