cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin America Comenity Shopping Cart Trick??

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Virgin America Comenity Shopping Cart Trick??

@fedxboy wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@jaebsf wrote:

Thanks, but looking for answers. Not guesses. Too much of that on here. But appreciated.

Just FYI - Virgin America is NOT a Shopping Cart Trick.  You don't "load" or "add" anything in a "cart".  It's a pre-approval offer or "pop-up" that displays when you log into or create your account.  Which would apply the same way for the Total Rewards and the Fuel Rewards Network programs for instance.

Hello FinStar,

I beg to differ.  I got the "pop-up" after setting up a round trip flight -- so technically, I was "adding" things in a "cart"Smiley Tongue  Otherwise, I have never received the "pop-up" while signed into my Elevate account.  YMMVSmiley Very Happy     Now, the Total Rewards Visa did happen that way -- with a "pop-up" upon signing  into my account.  Lastly, the Fuel Rewards MC never gave me a "pop-up"   Comenity sent me a pre-approval via the USPS.

Let this whole thread be an example of   YMMV    aka  Your mileage may vary,  soft vs hard pulls included~~!!

You mean, you "added/booked" a flight to your reservation (which may have included seat assignment), but there was really no "cart" (unlike buying panties at VS or sports gear at Sportsmans Guide Smiley Tongue)

YES AND YES and the final result was

ComenityVirgin.jpg

Oh NEAT!  Soooo... ummm... did you bite?  Smiley Tongue  Or, was this purely experimental for the pop-ups?  I haven't tried Virgin America to see if I get pop-ups.  I tried FRN last year but it was *meh* so I didn't go for it, same with Total Rewards.  Orbitz might be a decent one but I can't apply for anything for a good while (trying to be good Smiley Tongue)

Message 31 of 40
fedxboy
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@jaebsf wrote:

Thanks, but looking for answers. Not guesses. Too much of that on here. But appreciated.

Just FYI - Virgin America is NOT a Shopping Cart Trick.  You don't "load" or "add" anything in a "cart".  It's a pre-approval offer or "pop-up" that displays when you log into or create your account.  Which would apply the same way for the Total Rewards and the Fuel Rewards Network programs for instance.

Hello FinStar,

I beg to differ.  I got the "pop-up" after setting up a round trip flight -- so technically, I was "adding" things in a "cart"Smiley Tongue  Otherwise, I have never received the "pop-up" while signed into my Elevate account.  YMMVSmiley Very Happy     Now, the Total Rewards Visa did happen that way -- with a "pop-up" upon signing  into my account.  Lastly, the Fuel Rewards MC never gave me a "pop-up"   Comenity sent me a pre-approval via the USPS.

Let this whole thread be an example of   YMMV    aka  Your mileage may vary,  soft vs hard pulls included~~!!

You mean, you "added/booked" a flight to your reservation (which may have included seat assignment), but there was really no "cart" (unlike buying panties at VS or sports gear at Sportsmans Guide Smiley Tongue)

ComenityVirgin.jpg

Oh NEAT!  Soooo... ummm... did you bite?  Smiley Tongue  Or, was this purely experimental for the pop-ups?  I haven't tried Virgin America to see if I get pop-ups.  I tried FRN last year but it was *meh* so I didn't go for it, same with Total Rewards.  Orbitz might be a decent one but I can't apply for anything for a good while (trying to be good Smiley Tongue)

NOPE.. didn't bite!! They always give me their HIGHEST APR!!!!Smiley Mad  I have 6 of their majors and I think I'm going to  cut loose the Total Rewards Visa (need to redeem the reward credits or forfeit them)  and the Fuel Rewards MC.      Yes, this was purely for illustration purposes  Smiley Wink  I have the Orbitz Visa too and it worked the same way -- booking a flight and coming to the payment screen.  I did bite on the Orbitz card.     Like you, I really shouldn't open anything else for a while.......

ORBITZVISAPREAPPROVAL.png

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 32 of 40
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

@jaebsf wrote:

I expressed gratitude in my reply. I wasn't trying to be unpleasant. It is a question out of pure curiosity. But "amost certainly" isn't a "definitive answer". One can only be supplied by someone who has been thru the process and know the out come. The question was direct at them. This forum would be of much great value if those with answers rather than guesses replied. And I appreciate that those with guesses are well intended.

I just went through the process  and it is a hard pull.  Equifax.  That's a definitive answer.

Message 33 of 40
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@fedxboy wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@jaebsf wrote:

Hello FinStar,

ComenityVirgin.jpg

NOPE.. didn't bite!! They always give me their HIGHEST APR!!!!Smiley Mad  I have 6 of their majors and I think I'm going to  cut loose the Total Rewards Visa (need to redeem the reward credits or forfeit them)  and the Fuel Rewards MC.      Yes, this was purely for illustration purposes :smileywink:  I have the Orbitz Visa too and it worked the same way -- booking a flight and coming to the payment screen.  I did bite on the Orbitz card.     Like you, I really shouldn't open anything else for a while!Smiley Embarassed

ORBITZVISAPREAPPROVAL.png

Thanks for posting this fedxboy!  I'm definitely going to give Orbitz some thought next year.  Thankfully, my True Value Discover and DSW Visa got decent APRs when approved last year.  Orbitz, Sportsmans Guide and/or CREDO would be the only ones I'm remotely interested but we'll see Smiley Wink

Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
I've never heard of this card til just now. Seems like everyday something new is coming out. How does one keep up? Lol

It's been around forever. Comenity took over in 2014.

Message 35 of 40
Lyythine
Established Contributor

This has been a great read. I have nothing to add, just noting my enjoyment.

If anyone needs a definitive answer on anything (credit related or not), feel free to PM me and Ill tell you what to do.  

If you need me, Ill be changing my name to "Oracle of Delphi"

Message 36 of 40
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I know for a fact that it will result in a soft pull... or a hard pull.

that's just an answer from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about though.

if you need to ask this question, it means that the card isn't valuable enough to take the risk on, and you probably don't need it.

when you see a valuable card, or a card with a really great bonus, you jump on it.

nobody ever asked in the Amex Plat 100k offer, the PRG 50k offer, the Ritz 140k offer, the prestige/premier 50k offer if it was a hp or sp to apply. they just did, cause those offers were/are all worth the hp. my guess is Virgin america card is not.

(some asked if it would be hp/sp if denied cause of amex's wonky rules that are all YMMV anyways but I see that as a different)
Message 37 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was declined last July (maybe August) with the Pre Qualified pop up and it resulted in a HP on EQ.

The Pre Qualifieds are not always a guarantee.  Anything from one card reporting slightly differently from when they last Softed you to the way your address reads on the credit report not matching up (example on some CRAs my middle name shows and on others it does not and some have Junior and some do not).  

It was worth the HP for me even though I didn't get it because I do fly that airline.  

Most pre qualifieds for me are like playing roulette .  Nixon and Irish were just trying to help.  They follow the boards a lot so they probably remember more what others post on here and can give you good advice and I think they were trying to help your from searching 1000s of pages on shopping cart tricks.  

Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really want to try for this card but there isn't a airport locally that has virgin america Smiley Sad shoudl I still apply? I could still use the additional credit. 

Message 39 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I really want to try for this card but there isn't a airport locally that has virgin america Smiley Sad shoudl I still apply? I could still use the additional credit. 

@Anonymous,

I suggest you start your own thread as this thread is old and the person that started this thread has not been on for over 2 months.

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.