Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin America card - Barclays Bank

tag
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Virgin America card - Barclays Bank

I recently got a card from Barclays (Apple card) and this Friday was sent a pre-approved letter in the mail for a Barclays Virgin America card. After trying to convince myself to not apply, and failing, i went online and completed the pre-approved applciation.  i was given the 10-14 notice for review, but also was provided a link to check the status. within an hour the status showed as declined so i assumed it was becuase of my fraud alert.

called the backdoor number and spoke with a nice rep whom asked me why i had 4 inq on my report within the last 30 days. he said their system will automatically decline anyone with too many inq within a small period of time, as a protective measure. i explianed to him i went on a small apping spree, looking for the "perfect card" with a low rate, and high credit line. the offer that were no good i declined and the ones that fit me well i kept.

he said he could not open a credit line, however said that my application would be put on hold and stay on file for 90 days. i could then call in and they would perform a soft pull and review my current Barclays account and if everything loked the same or better (it looks better already, 1% util now and im reporting multiple large tradelines as compared to prior)  they could approve the application without a hard pull.

i was elated to hear this, their customer service really does speak for itself. while i had him on the line, i change my statement and due dates for my other account and asked him when they report based on my statement date and he provided me all of the information i requested. try getting that from crapital one or hsbc!? LMAO

in any case, i was sad i didnt get my immediate approval, but know in a small period of time i can just call in and without a hard pull get the line approved. not sure who all has a barclay card here, but as i said before. their service rocks.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tray
Valued Contributor

Re: Virgin America card - Barclays Bank

I would not say Barclay's are all that, remember you really can never tell with customer service personnel nowadays, hopefully what was said to you still stands whenever you call back.  I have a B&N Mastercard and will have had it for 2 years in October they are not a prime bank, you cannot request cli's.  At one time I did try over the phone and the customer service rep told me anyone asking for a cli needs to make over $200,000 a year LOL, if I made that kind of money why would I even need a cli, what a joke, but when my 1st anniversary came I was given only a $1,000.00 cli after spending thousands on this card.  Also Barclay's has no cli button on their website, this will be my one and only card, Prime cards is the way to go, if I was you that is the route I would take and save my inquiries.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 8
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

the problem with prime cards is they treat people like cattle. i dont want to be refered to as account XYZ, i have a name. i had a card with wamu which then became a chase card. i hated their customer service. i could never get a straight answer from them regarding anything. it was the main reason why in the end i elected to close my account with them and move away from large conglomerates.

800+ Club
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ngerasimatos wrote:

the problem with prime cards is they treat people like cattle. i dont want to be refered to as account XYZ, i have a name. i had a card with wamu which then became a chase card. i hated their customer service. i could never get a straight answer from them regarding anything. it was the main reason why in the end i elected to close my account with them and move away from large conglomerates.

I think Barclays has prime cards and subprime. 

I have had good experience with Barclays and their B&N MasterCard.  Granted their is no luv button on their website, but Chase, Discover and even USAA also have no luv button.  Also, I have had no problems with a CLI.  I've not had my B&N for more than 2 months and I called to request a "small CLI" and was offered an additional $1k, but with a hard pull. 

Except for USAA, I have yet to find a backdoor number that worked as well as Barclays'. 

Message 4 of 8
okiesean
New Contributor

I have thought about applying for an Apple Visa card issued thru Barclays. Does anyone know which bureau or bureaus they pulled from for your applications?

Message 5 of 8
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

They only pull TU

800+ Club
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@okiesean wrote:

I have thought about applying for an Apple Visa card issued thru Barclays. Does anyone know which bureau or bureaus they pulled from for your applications?

They actually offer two Apple cards on the website, one is for financing I guess and its black. Are they both processed equally the same or is one easier to be approved for than the other?

Message 7 of 8
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Im not sure if one is easier than the other. My card is the Barclays Visa, the white card. The application process seemed failry straight forward and once submitted I was able to call within an hour to verify approval.

800+ Club
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.