Re: Virgin Atlantic 90k Offer

@Creditaddict wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Remember, Virgin Atlantic charges heavy fuel surcharges even on points redeemed flights. A round trip economy trip to London could cost you between 300-400$ after using your points.

Yeah the real value is with the partner awards like Delta or Virgin America.  Most of the European airlines charge huge surcharges.

My main use would be to fly cross country , 2.5+ CPP value is good enough for me i know its not for everybody :-) I think there is also decent values to fly sq to europe but don't quote me on that i do think you are hit by fuel surcharges tho. 

I can see how the spend requirement is a turn off to some people, but I think it's a solid deal and you get 6 months to fulfill the spend.  I'm debating if I should call for recon.

why are you hesitant to call?

I already have 4 BoA cards:  2 x Alaska Air ($5k each), 1 x Cash Rewards ($10k limit), 1 x Merrill+ ($15k limit).  I also simultaneously requested a CLI on the Cash Rewards.  Just trying to think of the best way to approach the call.  I'd be willing to close one of the Alaska cards though.

sounds like that's how you approach the call!

I agree! Smiley Happy Great approach.

Message 41 of 71
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Remember, Virgin Atlantic charges heavy fuel surcharges even on points redeemed flights. A round trip economy trip to London could cost you between 300-400$ after using your points.

Yeah the real value is with the partner awards like Delta or Virgin America.  Most of the European airlines charge huge surcharges.

My main use would be to fly cross country , 2.5+ CPP value is good enough for me i know its not for everybody :-) I think there is also decent values to fly sq to europe but don't quote me on that i do think you are hit by fuel surcharges tho. 

I can see how the spend requirement is a turn off to some people, but I think it's a solid deal and you get 6 months to fulfill the spend.  I'm debating if I should call for recon.

well you know my feeling on that , the extra 12k you have to spend to get 70k points isn't worth it to me, but i know my situation is much different from yours since i don't have as many cards. with the 12k spending i could get 40k barclays arrival + points, 50k aa, 50 ual, 50k delta. 190k beats 90 k everyday of the week in my book :-)

That would require you to apply! and we all know you won't! lol Smiley Wink

Yeah that stupid prg need to come first before I will apply 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 42 of 71
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Sucked it up and called.  As usual, the analyst was very friendly.  They asked if I just want the rewards program or more credit?  I said both, but offered to close 1 Alaska card if it would help.  He asked how much I was looking for, I just threw out $10k and approved it all on the spot, not even placed on hold once.  Should have asked for more lol.

Anyways, BoA really does have a nice analyst group.  

Message 43 of 71
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@B335is wrote:

Sucked it up and called.  As usual, the analyst was very friendly.  They asked if I just want the rewards program or more credit?  I said both, but offered to close 1 Alaska card if it would help.  He asked how much I was looking for, I just threw out $10k and approved it all on the spot, not even placed on hold once.  Should have asked for more lol.

Great job!

Message 44 of 71
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Nice have you decided how to use your new points ?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 45 of 71
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I might see about transferring to Delta, I need to book a trip to Japan in May 2015.  Will you apply?

Message 46 of 71
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I might see about transferring to Delta, I need to book a trip to Japan in May 2015.  Will you apply?

Congrats on the recon B! Well i applied and was instantly approved but only for 2k...i kinda figured since i have over 50k in credit with them already. Can i call tomorrow and ask for them to close my 30k regular CR and transfer it to the VA or maybe just partial credit...i would still have my Privilege cash rewards with a 26k limit.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 47 of 71
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@dodgerslv wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Congrats on the recon B! Well i applied and was instantly approved but only for 2k...i kinda figured since i have over 50k in credit with them already. Can i call tomorrow and ask for them to close my 30k regular CR and transfer it to the VA or maybe just partial credit...i would still have my Privilege cash rewards with a 26k limit.

I read on another forum quite a few people getting approved for low limit.  I would call the analyst tomorrow and ask if they can consider a higher limit, it will be the same hard pull if it's within 30 days.  Really, if they want you to spend $12k, granting a $2k limit is absurd.  If they give you a hard time ask them to find you a $2k ticket on Virgin Atlantic.

Message 48 of 71
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I read on another forum quite a few people getting approved for low limit.  I would call the analyst tomorrow and ask if they can consider a higher limit, it will be the same hard pull if it's within 30 days.  Really, if they want you to spend $12k, granting a $2k limit is absurd.  If they give you a hard time ask them to find you a $2k ticket on Virgin Atlantic.

good points there B....i really dont mind closing or re-allocating limits just dont want a 2nd HP...I was hoping it would be a temporary limit since i applied on the VA website but im sure that is my actual limit. I dont even know if i would still get the WEMC version and actual bonus.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 49 of 71
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@dodgerslv wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

good points there B....i really dont mind closing or re-allocating limits just dont want a 2nd HP...I was hoping it would be a temporary limit since i applied on the VA website but im sure that is my actual limit. I dont even know if i would still get the WEMC version and actual bonus.

The analyst was good about reallocating another limit and giving me another $5k.  He wanted to move a limit from another card but I asked him to close the Alaska card instead.  I read lhcole got a few CLI using the same hard pull, but I would still ask the analyst to confirm - it's worth a shot.  If not, I'm sure they can adjust your other limits.

Message 50 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.