cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa AND Mastercard

Established Member

Visa AND Mastercard

Hi, guys.

I would like to clarify something. I do tend to be obsessive (i.e., cover all bases).

Both my Cap One Quicksilver MC and my Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa do the same thing with rewards (1.5% cash back). I am not interested in Chase ultimate points. I am strictly a "cash back" dude.

I use AMEX BCP for 6% groceries and 3% gas (even though I don't travel much). I use Quicksilver for the 1.5% back. I was thinking of  also carrying the Freedom Unlimited for two reasons:

I would have both Mastercard and Visa on my person (the two big guys).

In case Cap One declines my purchase I would still have Chase as a backup.

Both cards pay out 1.5% so there is no real disadvantage for using one or the other.

AMEX acceptance is not as good, so I would hate to have this happen at a "Visa/Mastercard only" merchant.

Discover sits in my sock drawer as an emergency backup, just in case my wallet is lost/stolen.

?????

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Visa AND Mastercard

Your logic makes sense to me.

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Reserve • PenFed Power Cash Rewards
Also have: Chase United MileagePlus Explorer • UNFCU Azure • NFCU cashRewards • NFCU Go Rewards • PenFed Promise
Message 2 of 18
Super Contributor

Your input is logicalSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 18
Established Contributor

Sounds good to me, though I don't know of any place that takes MasterCard and not Visa, so it seems like two Visa cards would be just as good as a Visa/MC combo.  But if I were going to carry a Visa/MC combo, I would do the Fidelity Visa and the Citi DoubleCash MasterCard, and get 2% instead of 1½%.

Chris.

Message 4 of 18
Established Contributor

My ideal cash back lineup:

Amex BCP - excellent grocery earning rate may be worth the AF

Citi DC MC - 2% catch all with excellent protection benefits

Cap1 Premier Dining Rewards MC - 3% restaurants, my biggest category, also no FTF

Chase Freedom Visa - for when 5% categories are better than above

That would cover the Amex/MC/Visa networks.

Message 5 of 18
Valued Contributor

MrDisco99 wrote:

Cap1 Premier Dining Rewards MC - 3% restaurants, my biggest category, also no FTF

You forgot Bank of America Cash Rewards which gives minimum of 3 percent on gas.  If you have Bank of America accounts it goes up to 3.3to 4.5 percent depending on your balance.

BOA Cash Rewards, AMEX BCE, AMEX PRG, AMEX Ameriprise Platinum, AMEX SPG, CITI AADvantage Platinum, Chase Hyatt, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Southwest Plus, Barclay Arrival +, Barclay AAdvantage Red Aviator, USAA Prefered Cash Rewards , Cap One Quicksilver, Lendup L card, JCrew, Pottery Barn, Express, NFCU Go Rewards.
Message 6 of 18
Valued Contributor

frogman1 wrote:

MrDisco99 wrote:

You forgot Bank of America Cash Rewards which gives minimum of 3 percent on gas.  If you have Bank of America accounts it goes up to 3.3to 4.5 percent depending on your balance.

Actually it goes up to 5.25%.

Perks, purchase protection, and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum.....Price rewind and extended warranties: Costco.....Travel insurance: Prestige and Hyatt.....Renewal night: IHG.....Taxes/Misc: SPG.....SD and of limited use: Discover, Freedom, FreedomUn, ED, BCE, Arrival

Total CL: Enough
Message 7 of 18
Highlighted
Established Contributor

1. 2% cards are readily available, get one and use it as your base card.

2. Release your Discover from SD for its 5% category.

3. PC your FU to Freedom for its 5% Category.

4. SD your QS until you visit a foreign country.

Message 8 of 18
Established Contributor

frogman1 wrote:

MrDisco99 wrote:

I didn't include it because the BCP already returns 3% on gas and I don't have 100 grand to park in a ML account.

Message 9 of 18
Super Contributor

johnny50 wrote:

Hi, guys.

I would like to clarify something. I do tend to be obsessive (i.e., cover all bases).

Both my Cap One Quicksilver MC and my Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa do the same thing with rewards (1.5% cash back). I am not interested in Chase ultimate points. I am strictly a "cash back" dude.

I use AMEX BCP for 6% groceries and 3% gas (even though I don't travel much). I use Quicksilver for the 1.5% back. I was thinking of  also carrying the Freedom Unlimited for two reasons:

I would have both Mastercard and Visa on my person (the two big guys).

In case Cap One declines my purchase I would still have Chase as a backup.

Both cards pay out 1.5% so there is no real disadvantage for using one or the other.

AMEX acceptance is not as good, so I would hate to have this happen at a "Visa/Mastercard only" merchant.

Discover sits in my sock drawer as an emergency backup, just in case my wallet is lost/stolen.

?????

Sounds like a good plan if you have room for 3 cards.

FICO8 EQ 721 TU 772 EX 777 Total revolving credit 500k
Message 10 of 18