Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Black Card - who's got one?!?

tag
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Re: Visa Black Card - who's got one?!?

If the Black Card had no AF would you get it? 

Message 51 of 117
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

On my way to Orange County yesterday I noticed a billboard on the 405 advertising this card stating it's now Stainless Steel. I thought to myself, wow they're trying extremely hard to smooze people in. I don't think I've ever seen ads for a Centurion, Palladium or Amex Platinum. In my humble opinion, one of the cool things besides the perks about these cards is the sense of exclusivity. 

I have the "disposable income" to pay the AF on this card but I don't see any real value in it. I think we would see more people with this card if the AF was around the $90-$100 ballpark. No AF would cheapen the "Visa Black" brand and wouldn't much appeal. 

Message 52 of 117
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@-Cal- wrote:

On my way to Orange County yesterday I noticed a billboard on the 405 advertising this card stating it's now Stainless Steel. I thought to myself, wow they're trying extremely hard to smooze people in. I don't think I've ever seen ads for a Centurion, Palladium or Amex Platinum. In my humble opinion, one of the cool things besides the perks about these cards is the sense of exclusivity. 

I have the "disposable income" to pay the AF on this card but I don't see any real value in it. I think we would see more people with this card if the AF was around the $90-$100 ballpark. No AF would cheapen the "Visa Black" brand and wouldn't much appeal. 

Tina Fey did ads for the platinum card on TV, but certainly not a billboard. 

Message 53 of 117
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@-Cal- wrote:

Tina Fey did ads for the platinum card on TV, but certainly not a billboard. 

Thanks for pointing that out, never saw that. 

Message 54 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah the card doesn't look all that great. I like the looks of the black Amex better.
Message 55 of 117
cmg15e

I've occassionally checked their website for a detailed list of benefits, but cannot ever find a detailed set of resources/list of benefits similar to what you can find for the AMEX Platinum.  The '2x points value for airfare' is the only one I can ever seem to find, and if that's what you're getting the card for, you may as well get the Arrival + since it's got the same deal for points, and save yourself 400 dollars/year.  To me, it just doesn't seem like they care to draw customers with benefits, but rather with the image of 'exclusivity'.  

Message 56 of 117
TitaniumCash
Regular Contributor

I received a black envelope with their invitation to apply and an offer of 25,000 bonus points after spending $1,500 within 3 months but already have the Ritz-Carlton card which I am happy with, so I don't think I'll be applying. Unless.......... they offer 100,000 points after spending $500 haha

Message 57 of 117
jm1991
Regular Contributor

even the ritz carlton card seems like a better choice than the black card to me. Club access and gold status would more than make up for the fee

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Message 58 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Visa Black Card and really like it. If you have to worry about the $495.....then don't get one. I chose it over the Am Ex Centurion for a number of reasons. None of which has to do with $'s or net worth. (1) I don't feel like asking my friends to nominate me and (2) I don't want AmEx telling me I have to charge the $250,000 a year to keep the card active. I know the Centurion is more exclusive...it ought to be with what you have to do for it. For me, the Black Card is a very reasonable choice. By the way, I also have an AmEx Platinum
Message 59 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a Visa Black Card and really like it. If you have to worry about the $495.....then don't get one. I chose it over the Am Ex Centurion for a number of reasons. None of which has to do with $'s or net worth. (1) I don't feel like asking my friends to nominate me and (2) I don't want AmEx telling me I have to charge the $250,000 a year to keep the card active. I know the Centurion is more exclusive...it ought to be with what you have to do for it. For me, the Black Card is a very reasonable choice. By the way, I also have an AmEx Platinum

Whatever floats your boat....

Message 60 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.