Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Credit Card Acceptance at Sam's Club

tag
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

Visa Credit Card Acceptance at Sam's Club

Why would they accept Visa credit cards just outside the store at their gas station but not inside the store ???

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Visa Credit Card Acceptance at Sam's Club

@Platinum wrote:

Why would they accept Visa credit cards just outside the store at their gas station but not inside the store ???

Back when the discover card was new, Discover approached Sam's Club and got an exclusive deal to be thier credit partner, much in the way that AMEX is Costco's credit partner, and part of the deal was that Sam's Club couldn't accept Visa and AMEX  cards, the number one and two cards at the time in the store, its only a loop hole that allows them to take visa at the gas station its not inside the club.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 6
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

Back when the discover card was new, Discover approached Sam's Club and got an exclusive deal to be thier credit partner, much in the way that AMEX is Costco's credit partner, and part of the deal was that Sam's Club couldn't accept Visa and AMEX  cards, the number one and two cards at the time in the store, its only a loop hole that allows them to take visa at the gas station its not inside the club.

Oh...thanks jamesdwl...that makes perfect sense.

And this exclusive deal with Discover is that indefinitely or...do you know ???

Message 3 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Platinum wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

Back when the discover card was new, Discover approached Sam's Club and got an exclusive deal to be their credit partner, much in the way that AMEX is Costco's credit partner, and part of the deal was that Sam's Club couldn't accept Visa and AMEX  cards, the number one and two cards at the time in the store, its only a loop hole that allows them to take visa at the gas station its not inside the club.

Oh..Thanks jamesdwl...that makes perfect sense.

I would guess so, its been at least 20 years now. Unless Discover goes out of business or the contract is renegotiated. Which i don't would happen, Sam's likes it because it pushes customers get and use thier credit card with lower swipe fee to the store, and possilble benefits from GE on interest paid, Discover credit network see's no downside.  If you really want to get around it you can buy Walmart gift cards at Walmart with the card of your choice and use at Sam's Club.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 6
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Platinum wrote:

Back when the discover card was new, Discover approached Sam's Club and got an exclusive deal to be their credit partner, much in the way that AMEX is Costco's credit partner, and part of the deal was that Sam's Club couldn't accept Visa and AMEX  cards, the number one and two cards at the time in the store, its only a loop hole that allows them to take visa at the gas station its not inside the club.

Oh..Thanks jamesdwl...that makes perfect sense.

I would guess so, its been at least 20 years now. Unless Discover goes out of business or the contract is renegotiated. Which i don't would happen, Sam's likes it because it pushes customers get and use thier credit card with lower swipe fee to the store, and possilble benefits from GE on interest paid, Discover credit network see's no downside.  If you really want to get around it you can buy Walmart gift cards at Walmart with the card of your choice and use at Sam's Club.

That is exactly what I am doing. I have registered my Walmart gift cards at walmart.com and I put them to auto-reload with my Visa CC. Thanks !!!   Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
w003ptr
Contributor

SRe: Visa Credit Card Acceptance at Sam's Club

Sam's accepts MC credit cards in-store as well.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.