Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Platinum requirements degradation

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Visa Platinum requirements degradation

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

I think they should assign names for lower levels of cards all the way down to starter and secured cards.

The Bronze card.

The Cherrywood card.

The Driftwood card.

The Pressed Particle-Board card.

The Paper Napkin Card.

The T.P..... oh, you get the idea.

+10

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 11 of 42
learnin113
Established Contributor

LOL

Message 12 of 42
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

My take is that those 'Gold' or 'Platinum' makes people feel good. Hey I have a Cap One Platinum woohoo with a $1100 CL...I feel good already that it's a Platinum Smiley Happy

Zync is a very cheap metal as in Amex Zync, but its a gr8 card with all its perks and $25 AF,, go figureSmiley Happy

Message 13 of 42
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

I think they should assign names for lower levels of cards all the way down to starter and secured cards.

The Bronze card.

The Cherrywood card.

The Driftwood card.

The Paper Napkin Card.

This should be a nominee for "Funniest Post of the Year" category!! I won't even try to hazard a guess as to where I truly belong in these categories.Smiley LOL

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 42
CS800
Super Contributor

@dalebb wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

My take is that those 'Gold' or 'Platinum' makes people feel good. Hey I have a Cap One Platinum woohoo with a $1100 CL...I feel good already that it's a Platinum Smiley Happy

Zync is a very cheap metal as in Amex Zync, but its a gr8 card with all its perks and $25 AF,, go figureSmiley Happy

I agree, despite being a charge card the Zync has good perks. I use it sometimes when dining.

But do you think it can beat my Cap One Platinum??? I mean it's a platinum so it's the top of the food chain right???

Message 15 of 42
CS800
Super Contributor

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

The Bronze card.

The Cherrywood card.

The Driftwood card.

The Paper Napkin Card.

What about if your credit is so bad that you dont even get a card *(excluding secured)....I was there not long ago Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 42
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

The Recycled glass card that shatters after every swipe and you need to replace it of course!

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 17 of 42
baronofthenorth
New Contributor

@Gollum wrote:

@baronofthenorth wrote:

[snip]

Platinum is the new entry-level; World, World-elite, and Signature are the high-roller cards now.

Please explain to me how the Simmons First National Bank Visa Platinum is "the new entry level."

Clearly, as others have indicated in this thread, there are exceptions to the rule.  Obviously, Simmons card is upper level, and there are others as well.  My point was simply that 15 years ago you would be hard-pressed to find anything with the "platinum" label on it with a 300-500 CL.  It is not what it used to be.  There are all kinds of cards, prime and sub-prime, with the platinum label.  It is not as exclusive as it once was.  I personally don't care that much.  Extra perks are nice, but labels do not mean much to me either.  The bank that backs it is more important to me.

EQ FICO 695 (4/26/2012)
TU FAKO CK 723
Lender Pulls (for mortgage) 12/03/2012 - 698 EQ, 729 TU, 721 EX
Business Cards: Discover Business Miles and US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards
Personal Cards: Capital One, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon, Wells Fargo Rewards, Amex Zync NPSL, Target, Chevron/Texaco Store Card and VISA, CareCredit
Message 18 of 42
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

What about if your credit is so bad that you dont even get a card *(excluding secured)....I was there not long ago Smiley Happy

I would like to nominate that as "The Screw Up Card".   Smiley Very Happy

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 19 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baronofthenorth wrote:

Having worked in the credit card industry (with a bank that issued both VISA and M/C brand cards) you are correct in your overall observation, though I cannot offer more specific reasons other than a general dilution over time.  However, if you look at the growth of the credit cards industry over the years, opening the "platinum level" cards to more people lured them in thinking they were getting something special.  Remember the regular and "gold" versions?  When was the last time you saw a "gold" card other than Amex?  Platinum is the new entry-level; World, World-elite, and Signature are the high-roller cards now.  

Just like a person used to be able to become an RN with an Associates in Nursing, now it is minimum of a Bachelor's, and they are already projecting requiring a Master's in the not too distant future.  All marketing and money as far as I am concerned in both credit cards and professional degrees.

Not that this has anything to do with the discussion at hand, but that's untrue. You are very much able to get your nursing license as an RN with an Associates. Bachelors is only required for management positions. While I can see nursing programs moving to BSN only for licensing purposes, Master's...doubtful.

Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.