cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature Account Type: Open Account

New Contributor

Visa Signature Account Type: Open Account

Recently, Chase "upgraded" my BP Visa to Visa Signature. I took advantage of 2.99 BT about 5 months ago, so my High Balance is very close to CL of 15k. That's not a big problem.

 

My question: I got the first credit report and find that its account type is defined as "Open Account," not revolving. Which category does an open account belong to? Is it still considered as revolving or kind of LOC?

 

As far as my credit scores are concerned, TU killed me dropping from 757 (July) to 714 (October, after 14.5k BT) because of high overall UTIL (>20%) and individual UTIL (>95%). However, EQ gave me the similar score even after the BT at 765 (ex ante, it was 766). I have reduced the balance around 12k(~80% individual UTIL and 16% overall UTIL), and find my mid score which a mortgage lender checked is 766 (He didn't give me all three scores). I am just curious how CRAs views this account. Please shed some lights on me.

 

JSK

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: Visa Signature Account Type: Open Account

Well your chase account will still be a revolving account, however since you have a no pre-set spending limit, you do not have a limt being reported I am assuming. So only your highest balance will be reported and as well, your payment history.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 15
Established Contributor

Re: Visa Signature Account Type: Open Account


Chopbrocoli wrote:
Well your chase account will still be a revolving account, however since you have a no pre-set spending limit, you do not have a limt being reported I am assuming. So only your highest balance will be reported and as well, your payment history.

Misconception... you do have a limit assigned to a signature card.

Message 3 of 15
Established Contributor

Re: Visa Signature Account Type: Open Account


FaircreditguyFL wrote:

Chopbrocoli wrote:
Well your chase account will still be a revolving account, however since you have a no pre-set spending limit, you do not have a limt being reported I am assuming. So only your highest balance will be reported and as well, your payment history.

Misconception... you do have a limit assigned to a signature card.


He has an internal exposure limit, however it is not being reported to the CRA's. Notice I said "No Pre-Set." I did not say no limit, I said "No Pre-Set." 

Message Edited by Chopbrocoli on 12-05-2008 06:09 PM
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 4 of 15
Contributor

Re: Visa Signature Account Type: Open Account

I had a Visa signature card with BofA. Mine was reported as MAXED out every month.  My visa signature card had a CL of $11,800 , however, it only reported my BALANCE as of the date my statement closed each month so it appeared that I was maxed out. It never showed my actual CL.

 

So if I owed $400 for the month, it looked MAXED out even though the credit line was $11,800.  I ended up calling BofA and I closed the account and my FICO scores increased approx 20 points that month.

02/14/2009 EQ 797, EX 811, TU 805
Message 5 of 15
Established Contributor

Re: Visa Signature Account Type: Open Account


Chopbrocoli wrote:

FaircreditguyFL wrote:

Chopbrocoli wrote:
Well your chase account will still be a revolving account, however since you have a no pre-set spending limit, you do not have a limt being reported I am assuming. So only your highest balance will be reported and as well, your payment history.

Misconception... you do have a limit assigned to a signature card.


He has an internal exposure limit, however it is not being reported to the CRA's. Notice I said "No Pre-Set." I did not say no limit, I said "No Pre-Set." 

Message Edited by Chopbrocoli on 12-05-2008 06:09 PM

 

..... no..... there is a limit assigned to the card.  As with any card (Amex excluded), when you are approved you have a pre-determined credit limit and you are advised as to the limit.  No different than a signature card, with the exception I can spend over my limit without penalty.

 

Message Edited by FaircreditguyFL on 12-05-2008 04:52 PM
Message 6 of 15
New Contributor

Re: Visa Signature Account Type: Open Account

You are right in that I do have a credit limit of $15,000, but Chase won't charge an over-the-limit fee since it has a no-preset limit feature. Beside, Chase it will report my High Balance of $14,5xx instead of my CL of 15k. It seems to be still considered as a revolving account.
Message 7 of 15
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Visa Signature Account Type: Open Account


jsk wrote:
You are right in that I do have a credit limit of $15,000, but Chase won't charge an over-the-limit fee since it has a no-preset limit feature. Beside, Chase it will report my High Balance of $14,5xx instead of my CL of 15k. It seems to be still considered as a revolving account.

 

 

Usually, this is called a "Credit Access Line."

EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 8 of 15
New Contributor

Re: Visa Signature Account Type: Open Account


psychic wrote:

jsk wrote:
You are right in that I do have a credit limit of $15,000, but Chase won't charge an over-the-limit fee since it has a no-preset limit feature. Beside, Chase it will report my High Balance of $14,5xx instead of my CL of 15k. It seems to be still considered as a revolving account.

 

 

Usually, this is called a "Credit Access Line."


 

So, it is still a part of Revolving accounts, isn't it? Not considered as an installment loan.
Message 9 of 15
Contributor

Suggestion for you

Move that money into an installment account and eat the interest rate until you can pay it off.  Your scores will jump higher than what they are right now.

 

If you cannot do this then move it to another card that reports a credit limit.

 

TheTaxMan

Use your credit wisely during these rough economic times!!!
Message 10 of 15