cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature card - what are these?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Visa Signature card - what are these?

@phonic wrote:

Some might consider it an 'I made it' status, but they would be delusional.

Sure, a VS card in general offers reasonable perks and requires a $5k minimum CL, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm not saying it shouldn't be a goal for people rebuilding credit or just starting out, but it shouldn't be considered some 'upper class' status.

Outside of the uber-elite cards like the Centurion and JPM, which have much more stringent asset and spending requirements that 99.999% of people will never qualify for, credit cards don't mean much.

If I recall correctly, the Visa Infinite is somewhat more 'elite', with an even higher CL requirement, but that isn't offered in the US.

Right, this forum is rebuilder heavy, so it is a goal.  Out in the real world, most people wouldn't notice if they had a sig card or not, and $5K isn't much as a barrier to people with decent credit.    I have never used any of the perks, many of which some issuers offer on lower level cards anyway.

Message 11 of 31
CreditRookie22
Contributor

Jlu makes me want to get one of these cards, lol.
Message 12 of 31
bobbay
Established Contributor

Lol

Signature card please.

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 13 of 31
bobbay
Established Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

Their concierge service is subpar at best.

Take JP Morgan's conceirge service as a comparison: One busy Saturday night with no prior reservations I call the number on the back of my JP Morgan Select card and explan that I'm in the middle of a crowded 5-star restaurant with a 2 hour wait and an impatient date by my side. Less than 5 minutes later the hostess gets a phone call from JP Morgan's Executive Office and within 2 minutes my date and I are sitting in one of the best seats in the house sampling Italian wines 'on the house'.

I'll never forget that night. That was one night that I feel like JP Morgan got me laid. Smiley Happy

Lol

Signature card please.

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Impressive!
Message 15 of 31
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@phonic wrote:

Sure, a VS card in general offers reasonable perks and requires a $5k minimum CL, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm not saying it shouldn't be a goal for people rebuilding credit or just starting out, but it shouldn't be considered some 'upper class' status.

Outside of the uber-elite cards like the Centurion and JPM, which have much more stringent asset and spending requirements that 99.999% of people will never qualify for, credit cards don't mean much.

If I recall correctly, the Visa Infinite is somewhat more 'elite', with an even higher CL requirement, but that isn't offered in the US.

Right, this forum is rebuilder heavy, so it is a goal.  Out in the real world, most people wouldn't notice if they had a sig card or not, and $5K isn't much as a barrier to people with decent credit.    I have never used any of the perks, many of which some issuers offer on lower level cards anyway.

Thank you, longtimelurker. For us ordinary people, a Visa Siggy card DOES say "I've made it." No, not, I've made it into the international jet set, but "I've made it" to good credit, to decent CLs, to being trusted and given a small sign of extra respect by my cc company.

Calling us "delusional," phonic, is pretty cruel, and wrong besides. We've "made it" to a level that means something to us, even if it wouldn't mean something to somebody with an Amex Centurion.

That said, I have two Siggies, have never used the Signature benefits, but am glad to know the benefits are there anyhow. One of the Siggies was also my first five digit instant approval and for somebody in my position I tell you that was a rush.

Message 16 of 31
Jlu
Established Contributor

@CreditRookie22 wrote:

Keep in mind that this was not the Visa Sig concierge that did this for me. The number on the back of the JPM Select card goes directly to a JP Morgan Account Executive in the EO, which IIRC is the same office that handles the Palladium cardholders.

JP Morgan EO > AMEX > Discover

If you ask them to move a mountain they will do it.

For anyone thinking 'I'm full of it'...

Edit: photoshopped pics can be unphotoshopped.  --Rev

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 17 of 31
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

@CreditRookie22 wrote:

Keep in mind that this was not the Visa Sig concierge that did this for me. The number on the back of the JPM Select card goes directly to a JP Morgan Account Executive in the EO, which IIRC is the same office that handles the Palladium cardholders.

No one thinks your full of it. BTW Your not allowed to post actual pictures of cards though

Message 18 of 31
Jlu
Established Contributor

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

@CreditRookie22 wrote:

No one thinks your full of it. BTW Your not allowed to post actual pictures of cards though

I know they aren't allowed - this isn't my first day. There's just more people full of it on these forums nowadays. INB4 mod delete.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 19 of 31
phonic
Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@phonic wrote:

Thank you, longtimelurker. For us ordinary people, a Visa Siggy card DOES say "I've made it." No, not, I've made it into the international jet set, but "I've made it" to good credit, to decent CLs, to being trusted and given a small sign of extra respect by my cc company.

Calling us "delusional," phonic, is pretty cruel, and wrong besides. We've "made it" to a level that means something to us, even if it wouldn't mean something to somebody with an Amex Centurion.

That said, I have two Siggies, have never used the Signature benefits, but am glad to know the benefits are there anyhow. One of the Siggies was also my first five digit instant approval and for somebody in my position I tell you that was a rush.

Gunnar419, I'm not sure why you think my statement was 'cruel', because that clearly was not the intention. If you read what I said, you will see that I specifically went out of my way to differentiate the difference between someone rebuilding their credit or starting out versus the habit of many people thinking that a particular card or type of card conveys some status in the real world. And as I said, the latter of which would be delusional if they thought that a VS card means anything, other than you having reasonably good credit.  Some people think that 'Platinum' Visa/MCs mean something, but they too would be wrong.

Visa is very loose in terms of qualifications for their classes. Even though VS is supposed to require $5000 minimum CL, some banks offer them for less apparently.

So my point still stands - outside of a very, very limited set of cards that the majority of people don't have a shot at getting, there is very little meaning to the rest of them. Outside of personal goals. And if your personal goal is a prime card with a good limit, or a particular VS card because of it's benefits, then that is great.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.