cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature card - what are these?

tag
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Visa Signature card - what are these?

@Jlu wrote:

@CreditRookie22 wrote:
Jlu makes me want to get one of these cards, lol.

Keep in mind that this was not the Visa Sig concierge that did this for me. The number on the back of the JPM Select card goes directly to a JP Morgan Account Executive in the EO, which IIRC is the same office that handles the Palladium cardholders.

JP Morgan EO > AMEX > Discover

If you ask them to move a mountain they will do it.

For anyone thinking 'I'm full of it'...

(Sigh --Rev)

You and i have the same wallet!  Different card, of course...i have the poor man's version called the "Ritz" but i love it!  I shine my baby w/ turtle wax every two weeks Smiley Wink  Plus, my card has the coolest looking Lion w/ its tongue sticking out is just pure classic..lol

Perhaps I should use the concierge service a lot more often....rather than trying hard w/ my pickup lines at Taco Bell, i should be sipping wine at Le Cirque, Bellagio instead...

::edited for typo::

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 21 of 31
dilettante
Established Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

@CreditRookie22 wrote:

Keep in mind that this was not the Visa Sig concierge that did this for me. The number on the back of the JPM Select card goes directly to a JP Morgan Account Executive in the EO, which IIRC is the same office that handles the Palladium cardholders.

You and i have the same wallet!  Different card, of course...i have the poor man's version called the "Ritz" but i love it!  I shine my baby w/ turtle wax every two weeks Smiley Wink  Plus, my card has the coolest looking Lion w/ its tongue sticking out is just pure classic..lol

Perhaps I should use the concierge service a lot more often....rather than trying hard w/ my pickup lines at Taco Bell, i should be sipping wine at Le Cirque, Bellagio instead...

::edited for typo::

Hahaha, I wouldn't call the Ritz "the poor man's version"! The AF is $395 vs the Select's $95. Plus, word out is that they will be discontinuing the Select in a year and changing it to CSP for those who currently have the Select.

Though Jlu got "lucky" with the concierge services, I can't say that I find either JPM Palladium/Select or Ritz concierges all that great. I've been able to find better deals, perks, reservations etc. just by calling the places directly on my own than what they have been able to do. It is a nice back up to have in case it's inconvenient to Google on my own and they are the nicest, eager bunch but nothing to say that it's a great benefit.

Message 22 of 31
kroberts67
Established Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@kroberts67 wrote:

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I've seen many a talk about Visa Signature Cards but I don't know why they are so wanted.  What makes a card a Signature card, what are the perks, why do you all want them so badly?

Visa Signature cards offers a number of perks such as travel protection, concierge services, entertainment/ luxury hotel & other stuff deals, etc. Also, Visa Signature reports as "flexible spending credit card" (other term given- NPSL) which means that you can go over your given limit w/o overlimit fees, as long as you pay the excess by the due date.

Thank you, my Barclays just reported as flex spending and i've heard the term but didnt know what it meant.

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 23 of 31
kroberts67
Established Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

Their concierge service is subpar at best.

Take JP Morgan's conceirge service as a comparison: One busy Saturday night with no prior reservations I call the number on the back of my JP Morgan Select card and explan that I'm in the middle of a crowded 5-star restaurant with a 2 hour wait and an impatient date by my side. Less than 5 minutes later the hostess gets a phone call from JP Morgan's Executive Office and within 2 minutes my date and I are sitting in one of the best seats in the house sampling Italian wines 'on the house'.

I'll never forget that night. That was one night that I feel like JP Morgan got me laid. Smiley Happy

Now that's a perk!  Smiley Wink

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 24 of 31
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Jlu wrote:

@VirusCredit13 wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

@CreditRookie22 wrote:

No one thinks your full of it. BTW Your not allowed to post actual pictures of cards though

I know they aren't allowed - this isn't my first day. There's just more people full of it on these forums nowadays. INB4 mod delete.

You may be right on that point; however, effectively mandating a moderator spend some of their time (limited resource) when something is known to be against forum policy, doesn't earn respect either.

        
Message 25 of 31
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@phonic wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@phonic wrote:

Some might consider it an 'I made it' status, but they would be delusional.

Sure, a VS card in general offers reasonable perks and requires a $5k minimum CL, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm not saying it shouldn't be a goal for people rebuilding credit or just starting out, but it shouldn't be considered some 'upper class' status.

Outside of the uber-elite cards like the Centurion and JPM, which have much more stringent asset and spending requirements that 99.999% of people will never qualify for, credit cards don't mean much.

If I recall correctly, the Visa Infinite is somewhat more 'elite', with an even higher CL requirement, but that isn't offered in the US.

Right, this forum is rebuilder heavy, so it is a goal.  Out in the real world, most people wouldn't notice if they had a sig card or not, and $5K isn't much as a barrier to people with decent credit.    I have never used any of the perks, many of which some issuers offer on lower level cards anyway.

Thank you, longtimelurker. For us ordinary people, a Visa Siggy card DOES say "I've made it." No, not, I've made it into the international jet set, but "I've made it" to good credit, to decent CLs, to being trusted and given a small sign of extra respect by my cc company.

Calling us "delusional," phonic, is pretty cruel, and wrong besides. We've "made it" to a level that means something to us, even if it wouldn't mean something to somebody with an Amex Centurion.

That said, I have two Siggies, have never used the Signature benefits, but am glad to know the benefits are there anyhow. One of the Siggies was also my first five digit instant approval and for somebody in my position I tell you that was a rush.

Gunnar419, I'm not sure why you think my statement was 'cruel', because that clearly was not the intention. If you read what I said, you will see that I specifically went out of my way to differentiate the difference between someone rebuilding their credit or starting out versus the habit of many people thinking that a particular card or type of card conveys some status in the real world. And as I said, the latter of which would be delusional if they thought that a VS card means anything, other than you having reasonably good credit.  Some people think that 'Platinum' Visa/MCs mean something, but they too would be wrong.

Visa is very loose in terms of qualifications for their classes. Even though VS is supposed to require $5000 minimum CL, some banks offer them for less apparently.

So my point still stands - outside of a very, very limited set of cards that the majority of people don't have a shot at getting, there is very little meaning to the rest of them. Outside of personal goals. And if your personal goal is a prime card with a good limit, or a particular VS card because of it's benefits, then that is great.

phonic, you're right. My calling it cruel was a big overstatement. I'm sorry for doing that.

I agree that Signature cards don't convey or imply any high status, but I disagree that they're only a goal for people who are starting out or rebuilding. I've had credit for decades and have never had to rebuild, but until recently I didn't pay much attention to credit and had only a couple of cards with modest limits. My first Siggy was a thrill and it remains a sign that I'm managing my limited finances well and that I've earned my way in the credit world.

I don't have a big income and I'm not a high flyer, so having Visa Signature cards and World MCs is definitely something for me and a lot of other ordinary credit users to aspire to.

Message 26 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

phonic, you're right. My calling it cruel was a big overstatement. I'm sorry for doing that.

I agree that Signature cards don't convey or imply any high status, but I disagree that they're only a goal for people who are starting out or rebuilding. I've had credit for decades and have never had to rebuild, but until recently I didn't pay much attention to credit and had only a couple of cards with modest limits. My first Siggy was a thrill and it remains a sign that I'm managing my limited finances well and that I've earned my way in the credit world.

I don't have a big income and I'm not a high flyer, so having Visa Signature cards and World MCs is definitely something for me and a lot of other ordinary credit users to aspire to.

I would still put it differently:   There are various factors to look at when choosing to apply for a CC.  IMO, whether it is a VS/WMC/WEMC should be WAY down the list of factors.  Things like how its reward program fits your spending are much more important.   And while I think that should be obvious, we HAVE seen posts here of people asking about/applying for cards simply because they are VS/WMC etc.

If these type of cards truely had outstanding benefits not available on lower-level cards, then of course it would be different.   But, as an example, many would get value from say a Plat Freedom (or QS) than a Visa Sig that gives 1% rewards

Message 27 of 31
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

+1 to many of the posters here.

I will say I've used the extended warranty once, and I was glad I had it (warranty was 60, wire in back came lose in the 3rd month, replaced promptly), but the rest is all glam-glam for most customers. 

And to add to perks used: Price Rewind on my Dividend (not a VS) saved me like $80 when I rebuilt my computer. Smiley Happy

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 28 of 31
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

If these type of cards truely had outstanding benefits not available on lower-level cards, then of course it would be different.   But, as an example, many would get value from say a Plat Freedom (or QS) than a Visa Sig that gives 1% rewards

Absolutely true and well said, longtimelurker. I agree, I'd go for a good rewards card over the perks of VS or WMC. Of course it's even better when it's a 5% rewards card that's also a Siggy or World!

Message 29 of 31
Jlu
Established Contributor

Kind of going OT here but it is true the JPM Select cardholders will be converted to CSP within a year or so. I already have a CSP and when I asked if I could PC my JPM Select to the Palladium it sounded like a real possibility. Of course I'd likely need to move about $100k into a Chase Private Client account, but the EO sounded like I might be able to do just a straight PC from JPM Select -> Palladium without the need for a CPC account.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.