Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story

After some request and my own curiosity, I decided to find out which concierge would be best in an emergency, such as if my flight is canceled and I need a different one right away, I decided to compare Visa and Amex Concierges.

First up a unique request. If they can help with something they have never helped anyone else with, then surely they can help with things they do on a daily basis. What is something that is rarely if ever requested? How about a space flight. 

I sent an email to both companies inquiring about the possibilities of space flight. Same text, same time. The request was done by email for both. Within 1 hour I get a call from Visa from a gentleman asking questions so he’s sure what to research on. He tells me he was never asked a request like this and is very happy to work on it. He tells me he will get back to me by the next day at 6 P.M. 

I wake up and already see the email from him (about 17 hours early). In the email is a very detailed PDF consisting of 4 companies, all of their addresses, prices, details of what each experience is/does, pictures, and a story about each one. Safe to say I didn't expect this to be so detailed and nice. 

Meanwhile, I got an email from Amex after reviewing the Visa PDF. The email, in essence, says that they need 7 more days to compile information and will get back to me no later than 1 week. While I can’t say Visa has won based on work since Amex hasn't actually submitted any work, I can say that for time and dedication Visa wins.

Next up something that I actually plan to do. Travel to Hawaii. Once again, I contacted both companies with the exact same request. They were given dates and told I needed flights, car, hotel, and daily experiences. I went into great detail in each category to explain what I prefer and what I dislike. They should have a very clear picture of everything from my preferred flight times to the rental car type to the hotel location.

Within 2 hours I got a call back from Visa from Mr. E. He seemed very passionate about my upcoming travel. He listened and made suggestions that were in line with what I wanted to do. He provided everything from flights, to cars, to hotels. Everything matched my preferences. He also informed me that if I needed anything else or if any of my plans changed, to email him personally. I had an overall great planning experience.

Amex also replied within 2 hours. This time in the form of an email. Very friendly representative who included brochures for every island. However, I was told they can not help me. Only Amex’s travel dept. can help me. This is understandable in my eyes, but I would much prefer to be transferred to a travel agent who has read about my plans so that I didn't have to start from scratch. Including the travel dept. plans isn't a direct comparison of concierges and will be left out.

There are other comparisons that could have been done but id rather not waste any more of there time. I have tried to make this as fair as possible so that you the user can gather an opinion. 

Message 1 of 86
85 REPLIES 85
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story

Interesting post.

I've never tried using Visa signature for travel related services, but am now tempted after your post.  In your estimation, which has been a better experience for you thus far?

Message 2 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Interesting post.

I've never tried using Visa signature for travel related services, but am now tempted after your post.  In your estimation, which has been a better experience for you thus far?

I try to stay away from opinions but honestly; I feel that I received no help from Amex where Visa helped tremendously. I really wanted it to be the other way around as Plat has quite a high AF.

Message 3 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

As much as I dislike Citi, I'd have to give the Trophy to Citi on this one.

Very good post Tanner.

Message 4 of 86
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Interesting post.

I try to stay away from opinions but honestly; I feel that I received no help from Amex where Visa helped tremendously. I really wanted it to be the other way around as Plat has quite a high AF.

I can understand, especially since with the fee on the Platinum, you'd expect them to be better hands down.  I think I'm gonna try the Visa Sig, since I'm going to take Citi up on the 50k bonus on the Premier card.

Do you have if Visa sig has airport access?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Very good post Tanner.

Thank you. I really thought I would get burned for posting this. Its nice to see someone appreciate my test. If your going for concierge solely, save the 450 and go with Visa.

Message 6 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can understand, especially since with the fee on the Platinum, you'd expect them to be better hands down.  I think I'm gonna try the Visa Sig, since I'm going to take Citi up on the 50k bonus on the Premier card.

Do you have if Visa sig has airport access?

Thanks!

I currently know of none. Amex always touts there concierge as the best. Take the space comparison for example. 8 Days Amex vs 6 hours Visa.

Message 7 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Very good post Tanner.

Thank you. I really thought I would get burned for posting this. Its nice to see someone appreciate my test. If your going for concierge solely, save the 450 and go with Visa.

You're Welcome.

I hold 3 AmEx Cards and I'm AmEx all the way, but your post brings to light something positive about Citi, and I find not one thing wrong with that.

I honestly think you have posted something very useful to potential AmEx Plat and Citi Visa Sig applicants.

Message 8 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Very good post Tanner.

You're Welcome.

I hold 3 AmEx Cards and I'm AmEx all the way, but your post brings to light something positive about Citi, and I find not one thing wrong with that.

I honestly think you have posted something very useful to potential AmEx Plat and Citi Visa Sig applicants.

I appreciate that. Any Sig card should work as I was using a sapphire prefered. I really was hoping Amex would be better. I may try one last comparison. Any ideas?

Message 9 of 86
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Very good post Tanner.

You're Welcome.

Absolutely!  In my estimation, since most of my business travel takes me to SE Asia, I've noticed that Citi and HSBC have greater recognition there than Amex.  I like Amex's airport access, but have never used the concierge.  Regarding the 0% foreign transaction, VISA is much more widely accepted internationally than Amex.

Message 10 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.