Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story

tag
dmbtay
Regular Contributor

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
If you are looking for more tests, why not revisit your assertion that both should excell at things they do every day? While it is nice to know visa sig can help with space travel, I've always seen the value of concierges as getting things done that I either cannot do myself or don't have time to do. What about this: I need reservations tonight, table for 4, trying to impress a potential client/donor/wife/etc. ready, go. I've had hotel concierges get tables I could never get on my own, while others appeared to have just grabbed a visitor guide and dialed at random. If I could eliminate hotel to hotel variability and always call visa or Amex for this service, I would pay happily.

I agree with this.  What about real life concierge.  I.E. my wife and I traveled to Chile as part of our honeymoon, we don't know the city that well and would like reservations at a top restaurant, can you 1. make recommendations based on what we like 2.  get us a table despite it being a foreign country and booked.

Message 71 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dmbtay wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
If you are looking for more tests, why not revisit your assertion that both should excell at things they do every day? While it is nice to know visa sig can help with space travel, I've always seen the value of concierges as getting things done that I either cannot do myself or don't have time to do. What about this: I need reservations tonight, table for 4, trying to impress a potential client/donor/wife/etc. ready, go. I've had hotel concierges get tables I could never get on my own, while others appeared to have just grabbed a visitor guide and dialed at random. If I could eliminate hotel to hotel variability and always call visa or Amex for this service, I would pay happily.

I agree with this.  What about real life concierge.  I.E. my wife and I traveled to Chile as part of our honeymoon, we don't know the city that well and would like reservations at a top restaurant, can you 1. make recommendations based on what we like 2.  get us a table despite it being a foreign country and booked.

This has been asked and addressed. 

"Where I live (small town) many restaurants do not accept reservations. Somewhere in the middle of this thread is a person who tested the platinum and visa concierges on restaurant reservations though. Something they do every day (or so I thought) is assist with travel. Results with that are outlined in the bottom half of the first post. For gifts, visa was also very good. Platinum will only make recomendations for there partners is my experience so far. I do plan to use both concierges again when I travel to England. I then will need restaurants, guides, ect. I will report back once I use them again."

Message 72 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be interested to know as well. 
I'm planning on traveling to the UK in June. I wonder if it would be possible to call the local Plat concierge in the UK. and for the matter a citi concierge, since they are both global companies. Not holding my breath on that, but it might be helpful if it were possible. 

Message 73 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd be interested to know as well. 
I'm planning on traveling to the UK in June. I wonder if it would be possible to call the local Plat concierge in the UK. and for the matter a citi concierge, since they are both global companies. Not holding my breath on that, but it might be helpful if it were possible. 

They did offer to help with reservations for my next trip to HI. Since this post, there's been somewhat of a shift in quality. Not sure if that's due to centurion coming in the picture or not as circles is circles. They have been able to book ground transportation to and from the airport and arrange activities such as tours during my stay. Visa responds with a more general approach where I have to exchange several emails to drill down to what I would like, even if its clear from the beginning.

Message 74 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting post, thanks.

Just curious why you have a Centurion, Platinum and Gold.

"because I wanna" is a perfectly acceptable answer Smiley Happy, just curious lol

otherwise I might think you don't like the color green ............ just kidding Smiley Very Happy

Message 75 of 86
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

This post encouraged me to try out the Visa concierge over the weekend. I was impressed to say the least. For the last 2 weeks I have been looking for a very specific pair of shoes. I did not want to order offline because I hate not being able to try shoes on first. I called and told the lady what I needed and told her that I would like for her to find them in an actual store in Atlanta/Metro Atlanta area. She asked if an hour would be ok and I said yes. Within 30 min, I have a full detailed email with all of the stores that carry that particular shoe in that particular color in Atlanta with adress, name of mall, phone number, price, and even a (obviously Googled) picture of the shoe in question. 

It was pretty cool. I'm sure I'll use it again.

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 76 of 86
FrugalRican
Blogger

Anyone have any experience with VISA signature concierge actually getting them better deals on things?
Went through my DGF's cards with her and she had no clue what a "VISA signature" actually was or what it meant, so I showed her all about the different benefits, and she was floored. We now want to use this to plan a vacation next year, possibly even a cruise, and it'd be nice to have the VISA do the work for us.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 77 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FrugalRican wrote:

Anyone have any experience with VISA signature concierge actually getting them better deals on things?
Went through my DGF's cards with her and she had no clue what a "VISA signature" actually was or what it meant, so I showed her all about the different benefits, and she was floored. We now want to use this to plan a vacation next year, possibly even a cruise, and it'd be nice to have the VISA do the work for us.

Experience as of today (3/12/12). Asked both concierges to try to get me a Sony camera thats extremely hard to find in the States due to the floods. 

Visa - Sent me to Sony's website and said middle April I can get it.

Amex - Found it and provided all details to get it from this store along with 2 other stores to pre order at. Each store had its return policy, price, and other info outlined in the email.

Message 78 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be fair Amex does have a partnership with Sony. The VIP Sony concierge told me that he could get anything pretty much, regardless of US availability. How well that works in practice I have no idea. But that is a plat/cent benefit. Just for experimentation I wonder what would happen if it were another electronics company.
Message 79 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
To be fair Amex does have a partnership with Sony. The VIP Sony concierge told me that he could get anything pretty much, regardless of US availability. How well that works in practice I have no idea. But that is a plat/cent benefit. Just for experimentation I wonder what would happen if it were another ekectronics company.

Called VIP the day before requesting the concierge to find the camera. Was told by VIP to wait till middle of April. The store Amex found the camera in was not related to Sony in any way. It was a small mom pop shop.

Message 80 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.