Reply
Regular Contributor
dmbtay
Posts: 125
Registered: ‎03-01-2012

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story


Cdnewmanpac wrote:
If you are looking for more tests, why not revisit your assertion that both should excell at things they do every day? While it is nice to know visa sig can help with space travel, I've always seen the value of concierges as getting things done that I either cannot do myself or don't have time to do. What about this: I need reservations tonight, table for 4, trying to impress a potential client/donor/wife/etc. ready, go. I've had hotel concierges get tables I could never get on my own, while others appeared to have just grabbed a visitor guide and dialed at random. If I could eliminate hotel to hotel variability and always call visa or Amex for this service, I would pay happily.

I agree with this.  What about real life concierge.  I.E. my wife and I traveled to Chile as part of our honeymoon, we don't know the city that well and would like reservations at a top restaurant, can you 1. make recommendations based on what we like 2.  get us a table despite it being a foreign country and booked.

Established Contributor
TannerK
Posts: 1,275
Registered: ‎12-02-2010

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story


dmbtay wrote:

Cdnewmanpac wrote:
If you are looking for more tests, why not revisit your assertion that both should excell at things they do every day? While it is nice to know visa sig can help with space travel, I've always seen the value of concierges as getting things done that I either cannot do myself or don't have time to do. What about this: I need reservations tonight, table for 4, trying to impress a potential client/donor/wife/etc. ready, go. I've had hotel concierges get tables I could never get on my own, while others appeared to have just grabbed a visitor guide and dialed at random. If I could eliminate hotel to hotel variability and always call visa or Amex for this service, I would pay happily.

I agree with this.  What about real life concierge.  I.E. my wife and I traveled to Chile as part of our honeymoon, we don't know the city that well and would like reservations at a top restaurant, can you 1. make recommendations based on what we like 2.  get us a table despite it being a foreign country and booked.


This has been asked and addressed. 

 

"Where I live (small town) many restaurants do not accept reservations. Somewhere in the middle of this thread is a person who tested the platinum and visa concierges on restaurant reservations though. Something they do every day (or so I thought) is assist with travel. Results with that are outlined in the bottom half of the first post. For gifts, visa was also very good. Platinum will only make recomendations for there partners is my experience so far. I do plan to use both concierges again when I travel to England. I then will need restaurants, guides, ect. I will report back once I use them again."

Frequent Contributor
csol47
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎06-10-2011

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story

I'd be interested to know as well. 
I'm planning on traveling to the UK in June. I wonder if it would be possible to call the local Plat concierge in the UK. and for the matter a citi concierge, since they are both global companies. Not holding my breath on that, but it might be helpful if it were possible. 


Starting Score: TU 680 FAKO
Current Score: EQ 721 FICO TU 784 FICO
Goal Score: 850


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
TannerK
Posts: 1,275
Registered: ‎12-02-2010

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story


csol47 wrote:

I'd be interested to know as well. 
I'm planning on traveling to the UK in June. I wonder if it would be possible to call the local Plat concierge in the UK. and for the matter a citi concierge, since they are both global companies. Not holding my breath on that, but it might be helpful if it were possible. 


They did offer to help with reservations for my next trip to HI. Since this post, there's been somewhat of a shift in quality. Not sure if that's due to centurion coming in the picture or not as circles is circles. They have been able to book ground transportation to and from the airport and arrange activities such as tours during my stay. Visa responds with a more general approach where I have to exchange several emails to drill down to what I would like, even if its clear from the beginning.

Regular Contributor
danpass
Posts: 227
Registered: ‎06-01-2011

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story

Interesting post, thanks.

 

 

Just curious why you have a Centurion, Platinum and Gold.

 

"because I wanna" is a perfectly acceptable answer :smileyhappy:, just curious lol

 

 

otherwise I might think you don't like the color green ............ just kidding :smileyvery-happy:

BK to fall off 2/12 - DONE!
myFICO (6-14-11): EX ?, EQ 684, TU 713
FICO (5-17-12): EX: 731
CreditSecure FAKOs (6-14-11): EX 745, EQ 661, TU 654
CreditSecure FAKOs (5-17-12): EX 732, EQ 671, TU 697
Goal: 760 across the board
Frequent Contributor
mmduluth
Posts: 320
Registered: ‎05-17-2011

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story

This post encouraged me to try out the Visa concierge over the weekend. I was impressed to say the least. For the last 2 weeks I have been looking for a very specific pair of shoes. I did not want to order offline because I hate not being able to try shoes on first. I called and told the lady what I needed and told her that I would like for her to find them in an actual store in Atlanta/Metro Atlanta area. She asked if an hour would be ok and I said yes. Within 30 min, I have a full detailed email with all of the stores that carry that particular shoe in that particular color in Atlanta with adress, name of mall, phone number, price, and even a (obviously Googled) picture of the shoe in question. 

 

It was pretty cool. I'm sure I'll use it again.

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Blogger
FrugalRican
Posts: 2,876
Registered: ‎02-02-2012

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story

Anyone have any experience with VISA signature concierge actually getting them better deals on things?
Went through my DGF's cards with her and she had no clue what a "VISA signature" actually was or what it meant, so I showed her all about the different benefits, and she was floored. We now want to use this to plan a vacation next year, possibly even a cruise, and it'd be nice to have the VISA do the work for us.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com


EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Established Contributor
TannerK
Posts: 1,275
Registered: ‎12-02-2010

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story


FrugalRican wrote:

Anyone have any experience with VISA signature concierge actually getting them better deals on things?
Went through my DGF's cards with her and she had no clue what a "VISA signature" actually was or what it meant, so I showed her all about the different benefits, and she was floored. We now want to use this to plan a vacation next year, possibly even a cruise, and it'd be nice to have the VISA do the work for us.


Experience as of today (3/12/12). Asked both concierges to try to get me a Sony camera thats extremely hard to find in the States due to the floods. 

 

Visa - Sent me to Sony's website and said middle April I can get it.

 

Amex - Found it and provided all details to get it from this store along with 2 other stores to pre order at. Each store had its return policy, price, and other info outlined in the email.

Frequent Contributor
csol47
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎06-10-2011

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story

[ Edited ]
To be fair Amex does have a partnership with Sony. The VIP Sony concierge told me that he could get anything pretty much, regardless of US availability. How well that works in practice I have no idea. But that is a plat/cent benefit. Just for experimentation I wonder what would happen if it were another electronics company.

Starting Score: TU 680 FAKO
Current Score: EQ 721 FICO TU 784 FICO
Goal Score: 850


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
TannerK
Posts: 1,275
Registered: ‎12-02-2010

Re: Visa Signature vs Amex Platinum Concierge *Warning* Semi Long Story


csol47 wrote:
To be fair Amex does have a partnership with Sony. The VIP Sony concierge told me that he could get anything pretty much, regardless of US availability. How well that works in practice I have no idea. But that is a plat/cent benefit. Just for experimentation I wonder what would happen if it were another ekectronics company.

Called VIP the day before requesting the concierge to find the camera. Was told by VIP to wait till middle of April. The store Amex found the camera in was not related to Sony in any way. It was a small mom pop shop.


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+