Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature vs. World MasterCard Card Upgrades - Feedback and Open Questions

tag
joesbrat67
Contributor

Visa Signature vs. World MasterCard Card Upgrades - Feedback and Open Questions

I wanted to create this post to provide some feedback and ask some open questions pertaining to upgrading Visa and MasterCard accounts to Visa Signature and World MasterCard status.

I have 2 cards - Chase Freedom Visa, approx 13 months open with a $5500 CL and Capital One Quicksilver MasterCard, 3.5 years with a $6500 CL.  FICO scores are between 780 - 790.  Based on research done on the MyFICO forums, I decided to take a chance and ask for upgrades to Visa Signature and World MasterCard

I called Chase first and spoke with a representative about upgrading to Visa Signature.  She graciously placed me on hold for less than 60 seconds and came back to say that I was eligible.  She gave me the details, spoke back a few required disclaimers, then closed by noting that I would have my new card within 3-5 business days.  That seemed very easy-peasy.

I then reached out to Capital One to see if I would have the same success with my MC upgrade.  Not so much!

They did state that Quicksilver MasterCards can be upgraded to partake in the World MC program, but because this was not one of the "pre-determined available upgrade offers for May 2016", I couldn't upgrade.  When I asked to see what it would take, including upgrade requirements, I was told that I need to contact MasterCard directly.

I find it rather odd that an established banking system like Capital One doesn't have this type of information readily on-hand.  I'm also a bit displeased that Chase was so easy to work with, while Capital One was a bit rigid in its stance, considering that I have been with them longer.  On the flip side, I am very excited to be approved to Visa Signature.

Has anyone had similar issues with Capital One with trying to upgrade to World MC?  Any suggestions on possible next steps?

Thanks in advance!

Active Cards:

Sock Drawer Cards:

Cards in consideration for 2019:

FICO Scores as of 04/24/2019:

Peak FICO Scores - Prior 90 Days:

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Visa Signature vs. World MasterCard Card Upgrades - Feedback and Open Questions

You talked with an untrained rep.  You definitely can upgrade your qs 1 account to a world mastercard (not sure about world elite).  It took me a little over a year to get them to upgrade mine but they finally did back in February.   Everytime I called  and asked to upgrade my account, I was declined stating there were no offers with my account.  I went through the chat option and told them I would like to upgrade my account because I didn't want to pay the annual fee.  I was upgraded to the w.m./no fee.  I received the new card a week later.  My CL is almost the same as yours.

Message 2 of 9
joesbrat67
Contributor

Re: Visa Signature vs. World MasterCard Card Upgrades - Feedback and Open Questions

Actually, I upgraded my QS MC from QS One MC to QS MC last year.  My goal is to now take it to the next level.  Any suggestions on how I can get C1 to understand my request better?

Active Cards:

Sock Drawer Cards:

Message 3 of 9
creditguy
Valued Contributor

The way to deal with Cap One is to simply keep trying until you find the right CSR. As suprising as it may or may not sound not all CSR's are equal. Many people have hit the same roadblock and kept trying until they found someone who knew what they were doing.

The last resort would be to escalate your cause to the EO, but I'd give it a shot with other CSR's first. The EO is far too busy with more important things like bumping those $100 CLI's to $200, ok the last line was sarcasm but they should be used when all else fails, Good Luck.

Message 4 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

This is also my same experience with Cap1, even for simple things. You have to get the right person.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

If you dig around enough you'll find some threads detailing the efforts some people have gone to trying to get their QS MasterCard upgraded to a WMC. 

Some people have had mixed success with the EO, but the 'path of least resistance' seems to be asking for a PC once the credit line is over $5k.  For example, once your credit line is over $5k you could see about a PC to a Venture One, if available the new card (usually) comes as a WMC; the CSR should be able to tell you ahead of time if this will be the case.

If successful, after six months you can PC back to a QS, and the WMC designation will carry over.  The process is cumbersome (and takes six months from beginning to end) but it might be less annoying than other methods. 

All this being said, these things are very much YMMV, and it's possible if you get the right person you might get the upgrade easy-peasy.  Whatever your experience, I encourage you to share with us so at least people will have an idea of what's possible at any given time.

(Also, before bothering with this process, you might want to ask yourself what it is you expect to gain from the upgrade... depending on your spending habits it might not even be worth it.)  Smiley Wink

Edit:  can't spell tonight

Message 6 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

(Also, before bothering with this process, you might want to ask yourself what it is you expect to gain from the upgrade... depending on your spending habits it might not even be worth it.)  Smiley Wink

Yes!   I sometimes feel that people would pursue something labelled an "upgrade" even if it made things worse  (some of that already for some with upgrading Freedom to Freedom Unlimited.  Good for some, not useful for others).   While upgrading to Sig/World doesn't make things worse, for many there is no actual advantage, and you are spending time and perhaps impacting your "profitable customer?" status with the issuer.

Message 7 of 9
joesbrat67
Contributor

In any event, I received a survey email about the inquiry I placed.  I used this as an opportunity to explain in great detail as to what my goal was and my displeasure in the experience of trying to upgrade my card.  I also used the experience with Chase upgrading my Visa to Visa Sig.  I'm hoping that this might get someone's attention and (possibly) get next stesps into play towards a conversion to a QS WMC.

I appreciate the feedback from the forum members who replied.

Active Cards:

Sock Drawer Cards:

Message 8 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

What benefits do you specifically need/want from those tiers?  As other have said, don't just assume that they're upgrades or better.  One of my most useful cards that has my highest limit is a plain ol' Visa Platinum.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.