Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Visa vs MasterCard?

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
That's odd. Any place I've seen that takes Visa also takes MC

You haven't been to Sam's, Have you. Smiley Happy

I guess he has not! Smiley Very Happy  kdm, you need to get around man!

Well, just about next year, you might want to tilt that scale even in the favor of Visa. Remember the store called Costco? Smiley Happy

Some trivia: my university accepts MC, AMEX, and Discover. No Visa.

More trivia: There's an awesome restaurant, Der Lindenbaum, in Fredericksburg, TX, that takes only AMEX and Discover Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 27
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I guess he has not! Smiley Very Happy  kdm, you need to get around man!

Some of us don't like to give our money to the Walton family. Smiley Tongue Speaking for myself and not kdm, of course.

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone else feel like Visa pretty much dominated in the US even before they got Costco? I've never had any sort of MasterCard until I got my Diners Club card last year. Chase, Bank of America, Schwab...all Visa.

Message 13 of 27
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

I prefer MasterCard. It is accepted everywhere, and it was accepted in Canada when Visa was not. Throughout the US they are pretty much matched.

Message 14 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@skimmie48 wrote:

Does anyone have a preference? Any noticeable difference for use?

I don't base my decision on payment network.  It's the overall suitability of the specific product that matters.  Most of my cards are Visas but that not because I prefer Visa.

You have to determine the answer for your second question by looking at card acceptance at the merchants you use.  Most merchants probably accept both but some may only accept one, the other or neither.

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Or read the news about Costco and AmEx.  I sugest caution on relying on "I've seen" or any poor data sample.  There's plenty that I haven't seen that exists.

Message 15 of 27
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Or read the news about Costco and AmEx.  I sugest caution on relying on "I've seen" or any poor data sample.  There's plenty that I haven't seen that exists.

Black Swan Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally prefer MasterCard over Visa, although I use both. I shop at Sam's Club, where I can't use Visa, and the think that the MasterCard logo looks better on most cards than the Visa logo.

Also, Visa was originally part of Bank of America, who I still hold a grudge against, so I don't want them getting swipe fees off of me. That being said, I usually charge less than $2 per month to my Bank of America MasterCard, except during the months that I'll get a $25 credit. Last month, I brought 4 pennies into a branch to pay my bill.

This thread made me realize that my only Visa cards are all debit. Maybe it's time to apply for another card...

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently prefer Mastercard because it's the one I have that gives me the best rewards for my spending habits. But that doesn't have anything to do with the network, just the issuer.

Message 18 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

A noticeable difference for me is that certain utilities will take mastercard but not visa. It has something to do with Visa's rules about "convenience fees" which are stricter than Mastercard's.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 19 of 27
hyprble
Regular Contributor

Interesting - I never had a problem with Visa but may travel to Canada sometime soon and worry about card acceptance - I don't own a Mastercard and may have to look up some MC cards with no FTF...

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.