Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa vs Mastercard vs Amex vs Discover

tag
lonno925
Established Member

Visa vs Mastercard vs Amex vs Discover

OK I know the big ones. Visa/mastercard accepted more places. and amex normally more expensive. But I want to know what are the ups and downs for each one. I just got approved for my amex card tonight 

I want to know the better hidden benefits you have found. You know those ones that are in the fine print that no one ever uses or tends to remember. I am sure there is a post about this somewhere so if you can link it here please do as I wasn't able to find anything up to date or that wasn't straight flaming. I thank you all for sharing. My cards should be in the sig assuming I have a minute to update them Smiley Happy

AE store-3600 | Local Bank-5000 | BofA Travel-7000 | Discover IT- 8000 |Chase Freedom-3000 | Chase Slate - 1000 | Amex Blue Cash - 2000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Re: Visa vs Mastercard vs Amex vs Discover

Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge.... Which is better? Discuss.

Sorry, couldn't help myself... Title, and basic question is about as invoking as that. Lol.

Despite firmly believing Amex is the best, I honestly cannot say it's the one and only best. Each card in my wallet has it's unique purpose. I use my Amex far and away more, because I value it's rewards, customer service, and consumer protection... But, my Discover, Citi, and Chase cards have some killer 5% rotating categories! and my HD and Lowe's cards over some great 0% promos.

Every card has a purpose!

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 2 of 3
lonno925
Established Member

Re: Visa vs Mastercard vs Amex vs Discover

Yea I realize that my question is very well trolly if I may use the termniology. 

Let me refine the question. I am looking to see the benefits of each company away from their cards. So I knwo many banks have visa and mastercard. They all have their own reqard structures and that. I am looking at what every amex/mastercard/visa has in each company. Even going as specific as visa sig/mastercard etc. I want to see if we can strip points and bonus awards. 

My main concern is the warranty, car rental, and all those little details that are only thought of after something happens and I say dang I wish I had put that on this particular card. 

AE store-3600 | Local Bank-5000 | BofA Travel-7000 | Discover IT- 8000 |Chase Freedom-3000 | Chase Slate - 1000 | Amex Blue Cash - 2000
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.