Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa vs Mastercard

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Visa vs Mastercard

I've read on here about people wanting to change their Visa version of a card to the Mastercard version.  I'm curious, what is really the difference between the two.  The only thing I can think of is that some places/stores might not accept one type of card.  Barring that, what benefits come from one versus the other?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Visa vs Mastercard

Not really a significant difference in the States. MC is more widely supported in many other countries. Most of my cards are Visa but one is a MC without foreign exchange fees.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

There are some slight differences in benefits.  One thing I recall is that excluded countries for car rental coverage differ a bit between World MasterCard and Visa Signature.  IIRC Visa Signature offers concierge while World MasterCard does not.  Those seeking a World Elite MasterCard will obviously prefer the MasterCard route.

You can probably find the details on the Visa and MasterCard websites if you're really interested.  

Message 3 of 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I've read on here about people wanting to change their Visa version of a card to the Mastercard version.  I'm curious, what is really the difference between the two.  The only thing I can think of is that some places/stores might not accept one type of card.  Barring that, what benefits come from one versus the other?

One reason is as you say, e.g. Sam's Club being a common example.    Another reason is to get another bonus, so some people have got the CSP Visa say, close it, and then apply (when it is possible) for the CSP MC.  As this is a new card, they get the bonus again.   As the CSP MC is not always available, some try to change the CSP Visa to a CSP MC, and then later apply for the CSP Visa as a new card.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.