Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Von Maur Discriminating based on age

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Von Maur Discriminating based on age

As someone who is under 25 but loves to travel, I HATE when I have to pay more for a rental car. My personal car insurance policy covers any car I drive, including rentals, and I pay with my American Express for their additional coverage. That should be enough! Honestly, I could even understand if the rental company required me to purchase their insurance and that would be reasonable because its only a couple of dollars a day, but some rental companies charge as much as $25/day if you are under 25. Its crazy! 

But there are some car rental coupon codes online, especially for Hertz that will waive the under 25 fee. Look on FlyerTalk. I prefer to rent from Budget, but if Hertz waives the fee, I'm going with them lol.

I discovered that USAA is able to waive the fee for many companies. Does not seem like full membership is required. I was able to call and have them transfer me to the rental company. Being routed from USAA was enough for them to waive the under age fee.

Also, Fox rental car has good rates and a $14/day fee. Fairly reasonable, but not great service. But again, any fee is unwarranted.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I always get Hertz to waive the underage fee LOL

Was using code 144314 for a while.... I pay like $19+a day for rentals usually...
I also use BCE Amex or Freedom Visa, and I'm a Hertz Plus Gold Member!!! Try that code next time you rent!!
I am 23.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 12 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I usually get the Standar car, which is the Altima.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I always get Hertz to waive the underage fee LOL

Was using code 144314 for a while.... I pay like $19+a day for rentals usually...
I also use BCE Amex or Freedom Visa, and I'm a Hertz Plus Gold Member!!! Try that code next time you rent!!
I am 23.

If you rent frequently this is REALLY good.

I was 1 rental away from moving up to the next tier after Plus (Diamon?) but it was just about the time my business was changing and wouldn't really need it very much at all... but like all things, flights, hotels... if you are not a frequent traveler Priceline is your friend... if you travel a lot, figure out where 90% of that travel will be and pick 1 car rental place, 1 airline, and 1 hotel... it will PAY OFF so much in end!

sorry off topic!

Message 14 of 28
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@vizon wrote:

Was asked if I wanted to open a card recently and found this interesting -

If you ARE NOT 21 you have to send in paperwork to their underwriting and NO instant decision will be given. If you are 21+ you are eligible for an instant decision. Isn't this one of the reasons AMEX got in trouble? Who do you even report this to, because I thought a federal agency regulated this.

This is actually part of the card act. People under 21 have to verify their income.

US Bank was able to work around it for me, but most of the time you have to submit paper work or have a co-signer over 21

Age discrimination only applies for people over 40. Not for people under 21. It's not age discrimination to not allow somebody under 21 to drink. It is to protect them, just like the income verification is designed to protect them as well.

I was working to file a class action law suit against car rental companies for charging more to people under 21. My basis for the case was that if somebody under 21 carries insurance then they are no greater risk to the car rental company. The company is simply discriminated based on age to charge more fee's. The company is not at risk of loss, because the customer is already paying a premium on their insurance. The attorney's office backed out because he stated people over 40 are protected from age discrimination not persons under 21.

Incorrect.

Message 15 of 28
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Incorrect.

Show me an example that proves otherwise?

Age discrimination acts were implemented for persons over the age of 40 to protect them from becoming unemployed.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 16 of 28
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Incorrect.

Show me an example that proves otherwise?

Age discrimination acts were implemented for persons over the age of 40 to protect them from becoming unemployed.

Incorrect.

Not for them.  As a result of them.

Age Discrimination is Age Discrimination.  Period.

Message 17 of 28
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Incorrect.

It may be, but that does not mean it can upheld in court. There must be some law or act binding it, otherwise it is not illegal.

That is the problem with the car rental example. No laws or acts govern age discrimination in that regard, thus rental companies are able to charge that fee.

I get a specific surcharge on my umbrella insurance for being under 25. It literally says something along the lines of under 25 fee. Now, if it said over 40 fee there would be a lawsuit.

Message 18 of 28
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Incorrect.

It may be, but that does not mean it can upheld in court. There must be some law or act binding it, otherwise it is not illegal.

That is the problem with the car rental example. No laws or acts govern age discrimination in that regard, thus rental companies are able to charge that fee.

I get a specific surcharge on my umbrella insurance for being under 25. It literally says something along the lines of under 25 fee. Now, if it said over 40 fee there would be a lawsuit.

What?  haha smh.

It really appears you have no idea what you are talking about.

And as far as your example goes for insurance:  young drivers and older drivers are more risky.  They have higher rates/fees.  Nothing discriminatory about that assessing Risk.

But, since you have no idea what you are talking about, I will let you have the last word.

Message 19 of 28
Dustink
Valued Contributor

What?  haha smh.

It really appears you have no idea what you are talking about.

And as far as your example goes for insurance:  young drivers and older drivers are more risky.  They have higher rates/fees.  Nothing discriminatory about that assessing Risk.

But, since you have no idea what you are talking about, I will let you have the last word.

Assessing risk is different than charging a fee. I pay a higher premium for risk, plus pay a specific under age fee.

Rather than just saying I have no idea what I am talking about, explain yourself. Give a law or act that shows age discrimination is applicable to people under 40.

I understand you and agree with you to some degree, but it would be hard to enforce in court.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.