Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VonMaur Changing How Accounts Report/Hard Limits

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

VonMaur Changing How Accounts Report/Hard Limits

For the longest time VonMaur had open ended charge card limits.  Most people had a soft $500 limit, but they would SP if you exceeded that amount and either approve or deny the order based on your profile.  While attempting an $859 order today, I was prompted to call into their credit services division.  The CSR said that my purchase exceeded the limit on my account and that they had recently changed to hard limits.  She said $500 was a pretty standard limit, but offered to try to get mine raised.  After 5 minutes on hold she was able to get it bumped to $1000.  She also said they will begin reporting limits to all of the credit bureaus.  Previously it reported like an Amex charge.

ETA:  Just got an alert, they hard pulled my TU!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: VonMaur Changing How Accounts Report/Hard Limits

@B335is wrote:

For the longest time VonMaur had open ended charge card limits.  Most people had a soft $500 limit, but they would SP if you exceeded that amount and either approve or deny the order based on your profile.  While attempting an $859 order today, I was prompted to call into their credit services division.  The CSR said that my purchase exceeded the limit on my account and that they had recently changed to hard limits.  She said $500 was a pretty standard limit, but offered to try to get mine raised.  After 5 minutes on hold she was able to get it bumped to $1000.  She also said they will begin reporting limits to all of the credit bureaus.  Previously it reported like an Amex charge.

Someone at that bank got hit with the stupid stick to go back to HP for teeny increases... They are super easy to get so I always loved them in the past but the HP to EQ in the past if you breathed over your normal spending really irritated me and then they switched to SP but why in the world would they go back to HP... nope nope nope!

Message 2 of 10
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Someone at that bank got hit with the stupid stick to go back to HP for teeny increases... They are super easy to get so I always loved them in the past but the HP to EQ in the past if you breathed over your normal spending really irritated me and then they switched to SP but why in the world would they go back to HP... nope nope nope!

+1

Message 3 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

ugh B, TU hit?? Smiley Sad

I live like 5 min from a VM, love the store, have great merchandise actually, good CS, free shipping, interest free revolving card........but stingy stingy on the CL!! $500 is like huge for them, so your $1k CL is like jackpot, LOL!! 

They gave me a store card 2 weeks after I was DC'ed from BK $200 sl, which eventually went to $500.  I closed it out awhile back once i started getting majors. 

Message 4 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah they're definitely stingy, but at least i got something for the pull. I applied for the Drury Inn card in early August and they slapped me with 6 TU hard pulls. When I called the CSR said they were trying to get an approval to go through! I had this image in my mind of a kid smashing the button on a video game over and over.
Message 5 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I don't get how a $500 limit gets you anywhere with this store. Looking at their site, a men's suit, two dress shirts, two ties, a belt, and a pair of shoes adds up to $1,150. You're going to need to pull out your AMEX card.

Message 6 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I don't get how a $500 limit gets you anywhere with this store. Looking at their site, a men's suit, two dress shirts, two ties, a belt, and a pair of shoes adds up to $1,150. You're going to need to pull out your AMEX card.

I thought my (now closed) Brooks Brothers card had a potentially restrictive limit at a bit over $1.5k, but $500 (at a store that carries some BB products at full retail) seems more of a cruel joke.

I checked the pulls database and low limits seem the norm for Von Maur. Some people even got $200 CLs.

Most applicants who provided data had scores in the mid-600's, though. It's possible high scores could get more credit.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:
Yeah they're definitely stingy, but at least i got something for the pull. I applied for the Drury Inn card in early August and they slapped me with 6 TU hard pulls. When I called the CSR said they were trying to get an approval to go through! I had this image in my mind of a kid smashing the button on a video game over and over.

Thanks for the heads up.  I was thinking of applying for the Drury card

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for letting us know!

This sucks I usually run over my limit, I guess that is over.

I called in last month to make a payment so I would stay under my limit and the guy acted like I was fresh out of the dumb school. He was all like no need to pay us any money (you're paid up for July) you can go over your limit any time your on what we call a monitoring limit. I guess those days are gone.

I started at $200 after 1 year of on time payments they upped me to $300(without telling me) Therefore one day I called in to get my limit increased since my year was up and the representative said there was no need to ask since they raised it to $300 and dropped the hard limit.

Therefore one day I called in to get my limit increased since my year was up and the representative said there was no need to ask for an increase since they raised it to $300 a few weeks before and dropped the hard limit. (I wanted to say would you like to look and see the limits other department stores give me).

If it is going to be a hard $300 limit I can shop elsewhere especially since my card will now always show as nearly maxed out!

I will tell you that in the last couple of months their customer service has gone down hill.  Their website was allowing one to purchase out of stock items only to notify you a couple days later (Arge) that they were out of stock. They even sent me the wrong item!

I only shopped at Von Maur for the superior customer service and the interest-free charge.

I will start shopping at Belk (southern department store that carries the same kind of expensive stuff that Von Maur does)

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if they are doing away with the long term contracts?

Where if you spend $500+ in a day you get 10 months to pay?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.