Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF CC comes with FREE Cell Phone Insurance

tag
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

WF CC comes with FREE Cell Phone Insurance

So I got my new WF CC in the mail--the other one had been compromised when my info was stolen. When I opened it up I noticed this insert:

"Use your WF card to pay your monthly cell phone bill and get up to $600 protection--WITH ONLY A $25 DEDUCTIBLE--at NO COST if your phone is

lost damaged or stolen."

This seems like a no brainer, right? I have an iPhone with TMobile and my deductible with them is $175. Does anyone know if other cards offer this feature?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pt145
Valued Member

Re: WF CC comes with FREE Cell Phone Insurance

I tried to use that benefit once. If I recall correctly its a (VISA) benefit. I got the run around from their customer service department. They were supposed to e-mail me the claim forms. Never happened & I never followed through.

Entered Garden 6/3/2014, Staying until Jun 2016. Score 797 via Discover
Chase Freedom 0/$3000, Amex BC 0/$5000, Wells Fargo 0/$2400, Amazon 0/$5000, Discover IT 150/$4800, Walmart Mastercard $0/$5000, Barclay NFL AZ Cardinals 0/$5000
Message 2 of 7
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Don't most signature cards, or visa for that matter have purchase protection that extends warranties on items at no charge? T-Mobile's rates are crazy, I pay 6.99 per month for  DW's Iphone 5 replacement insurance. 

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 3 of 7
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@revvystoke wrote:

Don't most signature cards, or visa for that matter have purchase protection that extends warranties on items at no charge? T-Mobile's rates are crazy, I pay 6.99 per month for  DW's Iphone 5 replacement insurance. 

I think you're right about the extended warranty/purchase protection, but that is if you purchase the entire item on the VISA.

I believe this is different. It's offering a free protection for just paying the monthly service bill with your WF card.

Message 4 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

The Citi Forward card offers this:

Visa Cellular Telephone Protection is supplemental reimbursement and is underwritten by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America. Certain conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply. Coverage is subject to a maximum reimbursement amount of $250 in excess of the $50 co-payment you are required to pay.  Details of coverage will be provided upon cardmembership.

so WF might be more generous.    Depending on your cards, you have to consider costs as well.  On the US Bank Cash Plus, by paying my cellphone bill with that I get 5% back, with forward 1%.   So I would have to decide if the coverage is worth foregoing that 4% each month.   Given the low amount of coverage on Citi, and the fact it is probably difficult to get reimbursed with these types of plan, I decided not to..

Message 5 of 7
Ron1
Super Contributor

AT&T Universal Card also have it. 

Ron.

Message 6 of 7
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Wow this is pretty cool.  I looked up the Visa benefits but they list no such thing.  So it seems that it is a benefit from the issuer and not Visa themselves.

I wish more issuers would offer this benefit.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.