Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF Secured Graduation and tempting app spree

tag
eagle2013
Established Contributor

WF Secured Graduation and tempting app spree

Hello!

I mostly lurk on the boards and you all have been so helpful in getting me back on track with my credit.

A bit of back history: I have one major baddie, an unpaid CO ($1,100) about 4.5 years ago, which has really dinged my credit. I ended up applying for a WF secured credit card last year ($400 CL) and was recently upgraded to unsecured (same limit). I called to get a preliminary CLI for $1.5k and not only was I approved for my requsted limit, the underwriter even suggested if that was all I wanted! After I questioned what he meant, he proceeded to tell me that I was preapproved for up to $10,400! Of course, I took the latter limit.

As someone who couldn't even get a joint unsecured card with her husband's perfect credit history, this nice CL is certainly morale boosting! Since the WF is platinum only, it doesn't come with any nice rewards. I would like to app for a better card (CSP or Amex BCP), but I'm worried about the 9 inqs I have already hindering my chances. I know that the better cards tend to look for a prior CL of at least $5000, so the fact that I have double that on one card makes me hopeful that I at least have a chance!

Should I just suck it up, garden and be thankful for my unsecured CC and nice CL? Or should I take a leap and app after the new CL hits the bureaus in the middle of next month? I'm certainly itching for a great rewards card as the holiday season is approaching, so the sooner the better if possible! Smiley Happy

Here are more details of my stats:

CC: WF Platinum ($10.4k), Capital One Gold Venture ($20k AU), Target ($6.5K, AU), Nordstrom/Macys/Old Navy store cards

AAoA: 5 years, 7 months

Baddie: Unpaid Cap 1 CO ($1,100) - 4.5 years ago

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: WF Secured Graduation and tempting app spree

Wonderful progress thus far congrats

How are the INQ's distributed across the CB's TU EX EQ?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

APPLY APPLY APPLY!

Message 3 of 11
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Thanks! I only checked EX since Chase and Amex are more likely to pull EX on the West Coast. It seems from my other FAKO accounts who pull TU that the inqs are probably evenly distributed unfortunatley.

Message 4 of 11
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Thanks!

@Creditaddict wrote:

APPLY APPLY APPLY!

I like your thinking! Smiley Happy Do you recommend I app now, or wait for the new CL to report in a few weeks? The card is already reporting unsecured, but only with the $400 CL.

Message 5 of 11
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

i think i would wait for the new CL to show Smiley Happy that way any new apps can try to complete with it for your business Smiley Happy congrats, op! wtg! Smiley Very Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 11
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:

i think i would wait for the new CL to show Smiley Happy that way any new apps can try to complete with it for your business Smiley Happy congrats, op! wtg! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks that was my thinking too! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@eagle2013 wrote:

Hello!

I mostly lurk on the boards and you all have been so helpful in getting me back on track with my credit.

A bit of back history: I have one major baddie, an unpaid CO ($1,100) about 4.5 years ago, which has really dinged my credit. I ended up applying for a WF secured credit card last year ($400 CL) and was recently upgraded to unsecured (same limit). I called to get a preliminary CLI for $1.5k and not only was I approved for my requsted limit, the underwriter even suggested if that was all I wanted! After I questioned what he meant, he proceeded to tell me that I was preapproved for up to $10,400! Of course, I took the latter limit.

As someone who couldn't even get a joint unsecured card with her husband's perfect credit history, this nice CL is certainly morale boosting! Since the WF is platinum only, it doesn't come with any nice rewards. I would like to app for a better card (CSP or Amex BCP), but I'm worried about the 9 inqs I have already hindering my chances. I know that the better cards tend to look for a prior CL of at least $5000, so the fact that I have double that on one card makes me hopeful that I at least have a chance!

Should I just suck it up, garden and be thankful for my unsecured CC and nice CL? Or should I take a leap and app after the new CL hits the bureaus in the middle of next month? I'm certainly itching for a great rewards card as the holiday season is approaching, so the sooner the better if possible! Smiley Happy

Here are more details of my stats:

CC: WF Platinum ($10.4k), Capital One Gold Venture ($20k AU), Target ($6.5K, AU), Nordstrom/Macys/Old Navy store cards

AAoA: 5 years, 7 months

Baddie: Unpaid Cap 1 CO ($1,100) - 4.5 years ago

Why didn't Wells Fargo issue you a Visa Sig?

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 8 of 11
Down_2Bizness
Regular Contributor

+1

have you asked WF to PC?

Starting Score: EQ FICO 566 09/30/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 688 3/10/14 TU FICO 680 3/10/14 (Barclaycard) EX FICO 691 1/12/14 (LP)
Goal Score: 700
My Wallet: Capital One $1500 / Wells Fargo $1600 / J Crew $2050 / Victoria's Secret $2300 / Barclay Apple Financing Visa $2500 / Discover It $1700 / Home Depot $1100 / Delta Skymiles AmEx $1000

Message 9 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

AFAIK, WF Visa Signature cards are only available by invitation only, unless something changed recently with their PC policy.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.