Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT DO I DO??????

tag
chozyn1
Valued Member

WHAT DO I DO??????

My credit score went down about 35 points att each credit bureau. I opened a new account and then i got amedical bill at my old address that went to collections that i didnt know about till 4 months later. So now my scores are

TU616
EQ615
EX638

What cards can i get with this collection on there and with these scores?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: WHAT DO I DO??????

try a pay for deletion and get the collection off, recover your scores, then app. just my line of thinking though.
Message 2 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@dnm45227 wrote:
try a pay for deletion and get the collection off, recover your scores, then app. just my line of thinking though.
Agreed --clean up first, then app. Otherwise, you will waste apps and get denied for crappy cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 17
chozyn1
Valued Member

So i should pay the collection or pfd and wait, or regardless pay it and then apply for more credit? I'm asking do i go ahead and pay it or wait to see if they delete? If dont delete, then do i still pay? its 418.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

a pay for delete is just what it sounds like. you send them a pfd letter (do a search for examples), if they accept then they remove all the bad things from your reports. like it never happened.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is horrible to say, as most of people want to pay-  but do your very best to secure a PFD before you do anything. Once you pay them you are at their mercy and your scores WILL NOT go up just because you paid.

It's sad, I know. One of the flaws in the system. I truly believe coll agencies would collect so much money if the scores would reflect it/and or remove them from CR upon payment.

See general questions re: PFD's.
Message 6 of 17
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

Dealing with collection agencies is a nightmare!! Esp since you say its regarding medical bills.. the Original creditor (or medical agency) is best to deal with it first..

Before you do anything - including picking up THAT phone! - read this COMPREHENSIVE strategy on dealing WITH CAs and Making sure they are GONE off your reports!!

BankRate
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a friendly reminder if you have not already done so- go directly to the post office on Monday and file a change of address form.

Growing up in the military I thought this would be a no brainer- but it is astonishing how many people forget to update their address.

Additionally- and this may be overstepping but it is the "trainer" in me- (yes I am a trainer at work when not going to night classes) make sure your current driver's license reflects your updated address.

Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 17
chozyn1
Valued Member

well i haven't changed my drivers license yet because i just got married and we are planning to move soon so instead i wanted to do it all in one wop, new name and address. But should i try to pay the emergency room first ? can they stop the ca from reporting?
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can try, but they most likely will just direct you to the ca they sold it to.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.