cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT IS THE FICO SCORE OF 720 REALLY MEANS TO THE LENDER?

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: WHAT IS THE FICO SCORE OF 720 REALLY MEANS TO THE LENDER?

@astritaho1979 wrote:

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hello All!

I think a good rule of thumb is:  focus on what's on your credit report not your score.  Your FICO score is a good prediction of future risk with most lenders and can get you approved instantly if it's good enough but I know many with great FICO scores on here that still have concerns when apping a lender because even with the great score- it's still comes down to what's on the report.  For example:    How many recent inqs you have.  A lot here put to the wayside the value of focusing on what's on your report.  Do this and your FICO falls in line.  JMO. 

thats true especially when you have new accounts they dont care about the fico score.Thats a good advice right there.Thanks

Thanks!  Smiley Happy.  It's what I do.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 41 of 64
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

this tread is awesome! As I have eluded to the average score is really in the 680's not in the 700's like fico claims. there is only one state where credit scores average over 710. The law of averages do not support Fico's claims.

i believe the score average also vary from zip code as well.So i guess u need to focus on the zip code average.My zip code average score is 744 in northern illinois

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 42 of 64
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

@astritaho1979 wrote:

Hello All!

I think a good rule of thumb is:  focus on what's on your credit report not your score.  Your FICO score is a good prediction of future risk with most lenders and can get you approved instantly if it's good enough but I know many with great FICO scores on here that still have concerns when apping a lender because even with the great score- it's still comes down to what's on the report.  For example:    How many recent inqs you have.  A lot here put to the wayside the value of focusing on what's on your report.  Do this and your FICO falls in line.  JMO. 

thats true especially when you have new accounts they dont care about the fico score.Thats a good advice right there.Thanks

Thanks!  Smiley Happy.  It's what I do.  

I hear you.lolSmiley Surprised

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
Message 43 of 64
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Either way the numbers do not support Fico's claims. When I was a loan officer High 600's was normal than 700's in affluent scottsdale AZ

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 44 of 64
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@dodgeball wrote:

this tread is awesome! As I have eluded to the average score is really in the 680's not in the 700's like fico claims. there is only one state where credit scores average over 710. The law of averages do not support Fico's claims.

As someone pointed out in the other thread, there is a difference between median and average, and statistically average has to be lower given the FICO score ranges involved. That's the disparity between the two numbers, admittedly we've been a little sloppy in terminology here.

        
Message 45 of 64
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@dodgeball wrote:

As someone pointed out in the other thread, there is a difference between median and average, and statistically average has to be lower given the FICO score ranges involved. That's the disparity between the two numbers, admittedly we've been a little sloppy in terminology here.

+1

Message 46 of 64
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Certain things can make somebody with a 720 score ineligible for cards. A lender may be against a high number of INQs or too many new accounts. Even if a high score is maintained the lender still might decline on that basis alone.

As for the talk about high spending. I think it also has to do with age and customer relationships. When I was young and very new to credit, my spending wasn't high but it was high for my age. My bank noticed me as an opportunity and did all they could to keep me as a customer. I was charging maybe $2,500 per month and PIF, which isn't real high but for somebody under 21 it was. They felt it would be in their best interest to offer me a lot in hopes of building a relationship with me. They likely hoped that as a kid with high spending I may become middle age with very high spending. So, in a situation like this I may have been able to qualify for more with no credit than somebody would have been able to get with a score of 720.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 47 of 64
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Certain things can make somebody with a 720 score ineligible for cards. A lender may be against a high number of INQs or too many new accounts. Even if a high score is maintained the lender still might decline on that basis alone.

As for the talk about high spending. I think it also has to do with age and customer relationships. When I was young and very new to credit, my spending wasn't high but it was high for my age. My bank noticed me as an opportunity and did all they could to keep me as a customer. I was charging maybe $2,500 per month and PIF, which isn't real high but for somebody under 21 it was. They felt it would be in their best interest to offer me a lot in hopes of building a relationship with me. They likely hoped that as a kid with high spending I may become middle age with very high spending. So, in a situation like this I may have been able to qualify for more with no credit than somebody would have been able to get with a score of 720.

it makes sense.

Message 48 of 64
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Quick question.How long will u garden untill u apply for the cards your planing on

Message 49 of 64
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

The low-down regarding FICO score being the end-all-be-all really boils down to this:

Not all 720 FICO scores are created equal. Someone who builds a solid history of using credit responsibly and making payments on-time is more appealing to a potential creditor than someone who benefits from piggy-backing their parents' credit by AU-ing their way to a 720.

Then there is the income issue. A college student making $9/hour in the mailroom does not have the capacity to pay that someone with an established pay history can offer.

Sorry, but this is the truth. It is also why some prime lenders will deny people with 760 FICO scores but approve some applicants with 660 FICO scores. FICO score is not the end-all-be-all. The totality of your credit risk is determined by a slew of factors...and this is smart business in my estimation.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 50 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.