cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT'S THE BEST DINNING REWARD CARD OUT THERE ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: WHAT'S THE BEST DINNING REWARD CARD OUT THERE ?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jaylima91 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i have Paypal Extras Cards. 3% dinning but once i redeem it's really 2.4% Cash back. Is that still great ? 

US BANK CASH+    ... you have the ability to choose your own 5% and 2% catergories which includes restaurants and fast food. But hard to apply since im more than 200 miles away from US BANK branch. 

Sapphire Preferred i heard has 2% ?  but also an annual fee ? 

Discover and Chase Freedom has 5% but only for  1 quarter. 

Citi Double Cash or thank you preferred i think also still 2% Dinning. 

i love dinning and LOVE foods especially when traveling.  But is paypal extras mastercard the best dinning reward card out there ? 

CSP isnt cashback, its UR points which can ultimately be redeemed for cashback. CSP allows 2points per dollar spent on dining and 3 points per dollar at dining every first Friday of the month. CSP has an annual fee of $95 which is waived for the first year of being a member. Good thing about the CSP is that if you decide to redeem for cashback its 1cent per 1 point but can also be used for airline purchases at a 1:1 ratio

Youre also miscalculating the rewards in the TYP card. It isn't cashback its TYP. TYP arent worth as much when redeemed for cashback

so in my case im better off with a cash back card ? i also added 

SAMS CLUB Mastercard has 3% Dinning

The US bank Cash + is the best CB card for Dining ... Sams club requires a membership so your paying an AF sort of 

what about the citi thank  you  preferred VS thank you ? same points earned in dinning as chase ?

The Thank You Preferred gives 2 TYP on dining, but they are harder to convert to cash back, so not as good as Chase.

There are also things like the Chase AARP card, which gives 3% on restaurants uncapped (Cash + is capped at $2000 per quarter on all 5%)

i dont know about you but i dont spend $2,000 or $500  month eating out so no worries there Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

so does the NEW Citi Double Cash which im cosidering to replace CapitolOne and anything that would otherwise be 1%. but like how i get 3% gas on bank america cash rewards i want a dinning one too. Too bad liquor or alcohol not qualify as groceries (wine  & spirits)  we spend 90 billion a year on beer and alcohol. Average american consumes 25 gallons beer a year. Wish i could find a reward card for that. 

Message 12 of 57
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

The Thank You Preferred gives 2 TYP on dining, but they are harder to convert to cash back, so not as good as Chase.

There are also things like the Chase AARP card, which gives 3% on restaurants uncapped (Cash + is capped at $2000 per quarter on all 5%)

i dont know about you but i dont spend $2,000 or $500  month eating out so no worries there Smiley Very Happy

Nor me (some here do though) but I have been spending $5K a quarter on vet bills, using up the limit on both my Cash + cards, leaving nothing for dining.  So caps do matter sometimes!

Message 13 of 57
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

We have been using the Cash+ for Restaurantes. Any excess then $2000, been using the hilton honors.

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 14 of 57
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

I would definitely go with the US bank Cash +

Message 15 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@destine2grow wrote:
I would definitely go with the US bank Cash +

you live near US bank or you called ? i hate talking to people about where i get my money from Smiley Very Happy  i do better online applications 

Message 16 of 57
Open123
Super Contributor

For dining, in order of progression, I use the following:

1.  US Bank Cash+ is the best on the initial $2,000.  With the $25 bonus on $100 redemption, this equates to 6.25%.

2.  Any 5% rotation, e.g. Freedom, Discover, SPG at Starwoods restaurants.

3.  Ink Cash 2% or Amex Simply Cash.

I may use the JPM Ritz for dining to meet the intial $10K for Marriott Gold status.

Message 17 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to get a cash+ for dinning too. Think it's one of the best ones out there. Definitely in my list for next year.
Message 18 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I want to get a cash+ for dinning too. Think it's one of the best ones out there. Definitely in my list for next year.

Question if no one minds. Is the dining category for this card fixed every quarter or is it sometimes not available? Thanks!

Message 19 of 57
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Let's start with each card,

* PayPal Extra MC

Has annual cap of 50,000 points. Points worth less than 1 cent, so you get about 2.4% return.

* Chase CSP

Has AF of $95. Only worth it if you transfer points to partner program. Otherwise it is 2% return.

* US Bank Cash+

Must apply either at branch or over the phone. Has quarter cap of $2,000 of spending. No AF.

* Citi Double Cash / Fidelity AMEX

Straight forward 2% cashback. No AF.

* Chase AARP

3% on restaurant. Requires AARP membership at the time of applying (does not need it for renewal). No AF.

Message 20 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.