Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT THE FISHSTICKS!!

tag
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

WHAT THE FISHSTICKS!!

Okay so I decided to apply for the Fingerhut credit card Im 18 with no credit at all and no income. So I applied last night and go the 30days message so Today I log into my gmail and see an email from equifax.com stating that an inquiry has poped up in my dads report. When he hasnt even applied or credit since may 2012. We were thinking maybe it was this agency we are dealing with that is helping my parents lower their APR on mortagage and they told us that they were going to do a credit check(and maybe thought it was them doing the pull). So I logged into equifax.com and check out the alert. I was an inquiry from Finger hut!!!! WHAT!!?!?! Yes my dad and I have the same name and everything but not the same SSN #. What happened?? Would anyone have a clue? Thats he why I cant be added to my families accts as an AU beacuse it will automatically report to my dads credit. AGAIN our ssn# is completely different why would they oull his report?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: WHAT THE FISHSTICKS!!

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Okay so I decided to apply for the Fingerhut credit card Im 18 with no credit at all and no income. So I applied last night and go the 30days message so Today I log into my gmail and see an email from equifax.com stating that an inquiry has poped up in my dads report. When he hasnt even applied or credit since may 2012. We were thinking maybe it was this agency we are dealing with that is helping my parents lower their APR on mortagage and they told us that they were going to do a credit check(and maybe thought it was them doing the pull). So I logged into equifax.com and check out the alert. I was an inquiry from Finger hut!!!! WHAT!!?!?! Yes my dad and I have the same name and everything but not the same SSN #. What happened?? Would anyone have a clue? Thats he why I cant be added to my families accts as an AU beacuse it will automatically report to my dads credit. AGAIN our ssn# is completely different why would they oull his report?

sometimes someone of a simliar name gets reported instead, twin brothers family members etc always can have problems.

you can't be added to family acounts cause it'll report to your ads credit? nope your dads credit will show up on your report not vice versa if he adds you on his account. nothing you will  or can do will affet his credit report unless you charge up his bills. if he doesn't give you a car his liability is next to nothing in 99% of cases.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 24
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey BearsandTurtlesRtheBest!  What a name!  LOL

Unfortunately, this happens a lot.  There are actually some goods to this.  All that your dad must do is dipute the inq to have it removed.  They should do it NP.  Second, this means probably no inq for you on your report and probably an approved account.  The down side, with a mortgage refi for your dad, he will have to go through the ropes of explaining this, but it shouldn't affect things to drastically.  Best of luck.  Sorry that companies do this.  My brother and dad have the same names and I am constantly having to correct info on their reports because of it.  Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

unless your dads credit was on 640-646 or 720-726 your dad should be fine. inquiry doesn't hurt much if any in most cases, only if people are on borders of tiers will ever get affected enough to care from 1 extra inquiry.

Also your on this site you should know better than to get a fingerhut account! Get a secured credit card that'll unsecure (graduates) DCU is a great choice Digital credit union. They give you a free monthly Fico score Equifax 04 score (one you want) and they work with people building and rebuilding credit and great place for mortages and car loansin the future they got a program that can save you 1 payment a year.

Message 4 of 24
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

unless your dads credit was on 640-646 or 720-726 your dad should be fine. inquiry doesn't hurt much if any in most cases, only if people are on borders of tiers will ever get affected enough to care from 1 extra inquiry.

Also your on this site you should know better than to get a fingerhut account! Get a secured credit card that'll unsecure (graduates) DCU is a great choice Digital credit union. They give you a free monthly Fico score Equifax 04 score (one you want) and they work with people building and rebuilding credit and great place for mortages and car loansin the future they got a program that can save you 1 payment a year.

+1

But still dispute and get it removed from your dad's file.  No need for his report to be inaccurate.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 5 of 24
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

If you don't mind be asking...how did you plan on getting approved without credit/income Smiley Indifferent

Also I saw on the Kohl's CLI thread that you said you have a Kohls card with an $800 limit.

Fishticks is right because something is definetly fishy Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 24
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Having the same exact name is a pain. I have the same first, middle, and last name and we get mixed up all the time. Sometimes his stuff shows up on my reports, but never my stuff on his. I reckon once our addresses are different, it will not be as easy to get it mixed up, but it is still very annoying. I even put Jr. in the "suffix" part and it is frequently ignored. I usually now will put it in last name box, so that it will actually be recognised by the system.

@distantarray wrote:

It's probably more about the fact that it gets mixed up. Social security numbers are supposed to be what makes sure they have the right person, so if the numbers are different, how could the wrong file be looked at?

Message 7 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

to cut corners or time people don't have to input all the info to find a person, think of Google's feeling lucky button with a few basic info lol people process hundreds a day so they're not going to take the time to process everything correctly if it's 99% accurate.

Message 8 of 24
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Well this can't/shouldn't be legal.  And should be an easy fix for your dad to dispute and get corrected.

This can and does happen a lot with CA and with ppl with simular names.  And if this is a Sr. Jr. III. sort of thing you aren't the only one to have had this happen.

But, IMO, this isn't a CA.  This is consumer requested credit.  So something needs to be done about this right away!  Because similar name or not, different SSNs should not create this sort of mess.  I'd have your dad disupte with the CRAs.

Also, maybe you can go to annualcreditreport.com and run your reports so that maybe the CRAs will pick you up.  Or try to submit an Update to your Address with the CRAs and make sure to use the name you use and maybe that will help create your own CR files.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, am I the only one who has no idea what Fingerhut is?  For the longest time, i thought ppl on here were misspelling PizzaHut lol!!  ←Must be a regional thing, cuz i've never heard of it haha!

Message 9 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

finger hut is a overpriced catalog shop i don't think they actually have a real store.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.