Did you mean: 

WHEN DO YOU PAY YOUR CC?

tag
QueenBeeOC
Regular Contributor

Re: WHEN DO YOU PAY YOUR CC?

@FastForward wrote:

@QueenBeeOC wrote:

Now in regards to my brand new Amex BCE - it had a $400 balance when my first statment cut, but now has $700ish. It's due next week. 

I REALLY want this card to grow (3x limit, at the 61st day!) Amex has already SP my report. I know Amex doesn't like Balances. Does that mean I should pay the $400 or the $700? 

Chase isn't reporting on my EX report yet. Which is the one with the high balance ($3K) And I know AMEX cares about that too. 

If you're able to, I would pay the full $700'ish balance off.  If not (or if you just want to hold on to more of your funds for a little while longer), I suggest just paying the $400 by or before the due date & then make sure your balance is at zero by or before the next statement cut off date. 

My 61-day for my first AmEx card (Blue Cash) is coming up soon too & my plan is to make sure the balance is at/remains at zero on the day I put in for the CLI and that my other cards reporting balances are at zero, except for 1 (reporting below 8-9%).  Not sure if that will optimize my chances any more, but that's the plan anyway! 

I wanna know if that works for ya! Re: the 61 day

Southwest: $9k - Discover It $1,900 - Amazon $2,900 - CAP1 - $1,500 - QuickSilver (FKA Orchard) - $900 - J. Crew $1K - LOFT $1K - Nordstroms $1K - Amex BCE - $3,000
Scores: Credit Karma 687, Credit Sesame 660- EQ 643 - EX 665 (from Amex)- TQ 655 Lender Pull: 693

Message 21 of 25
mjccredit
Valued Member

This is a great question. I have several new accounts and wanmaxi be sure I maximize my score. I just don't even know my statement dates yet or when they report. I can Pif on all just don't know the right time to do this for maximum effect on fico. Is there any benefit or harm to paying multiple times in a month ? I tried to set a statement date with capital one and it said I had to wait one full cycle and it could take up to 2 more after that to get the date changed. Just trying to understand  how to maximize my scores.

thanks Op for the thread !

Ex 653 Eq 699 TU 677 Jan 2014
Nov 2014 733
Goal score at least 780 across all 3
Amex platinum NPSL1/14 ,Chase Freedom $5500 1/14,Lane Bryant $250Capital one ,quicksilver $3,5001/14, TR visa $13,100. 2/14 penfed Platinum Cash Rewards $25,000, 7/14 Amex Everday Preferred $34,500, 7/14 CSP $14,000, 11/14 ink Plus $35,000
Message 22 of 25
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@QueenBeeOC wrote:

@FastForward wrote:

@QueenBeeOC wrote:

Now in regards to my brand new Amex BCE - it had a $400 balance when my first statment cut, but now has $700ish. It's due next week. 

I REALLY want this card to grow (3x limit, at the 61st day!) Amex has already SP my report. I know Amex doesn't like Balances. Does that mean I should pay the $400 or the $700? 

Chase isn't reporting on my EX report yet. Which is the one with the high balance ($3K) And I know AMEX cares about that too. 

If you're able to, I would pay the full $700'ish balance off.  If not (or if you just want to hold on to more of your funds for a little while longer), I suggest just paying the $400 by or before the due date & then make sure your balance is at zero by or before the next statement cut off date. 

My 61-day for my first AmEx card (Blue Cash) is coming up soon too & my plan is to make sure the balance is at/remains at zero on the day I put in for the CLI and that my other cards reporting balances are at zero, except for 1 (reporting below 8-9%).  Not sure if that will optimize my chances any more, but that's the plan anyway! 

I wanna know if that works for ya! Re: the 61 day

Will do!  Day 61 for me is on Valentine's (luv) day....how appropriate....hope to get some luv from AmEx!    Smiley Wink

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 23 of 25
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

I set all my credit cards to have the due date on the 5th of every month. They are all set to auto-PIF. After the due date I'll go through and see which cards, if any, I want to pay down to $0 for the statement balance reporting. With this setup I only need to pay attention to my credit cards on one day a month.

This is exactly what I do, only mine are all due on the 1st. It makes managing multiple cards much easier.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 24 of 25
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Often I pay before statements cut so they reports $0.  For the card I let report a balance, it depends on what else I'm trying to accomplish that month.  Sometimes it's paid immediately and other times right before due date. 

As long as you get it in on time - every time, I don't think it makes too much of a difference when you pay.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.