Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHEN DOES AMEX HARD LIMIT GO AWAY.....

tag
youngman1234
Established Contributor

WHEN DOES AMEX HARD LIMIT GO AWAY.....

Hello everyone, 

I got approved for an amex premier rewards card in nov 2011..... 

History as follows: 

1st month - $200 

2nd month - $900

3nd month - $8500 (yes i know stupid but what i was doing was charge $2000 a week pay it first and then charge again) ****FR'd at the end of the statement*****

4th month - HARD limit was placed for 3,000.... 

Ok fast forward it has been about 9 months now and I have ran over 24,000 through the card so far... I am currently using the card alot more in the past couple of month as work has gotten more busy..... I typically spend about 15-20k a month across all my cards... But i would be happy if amex allowed me to charge approx 5-6k a month... This way I wouldnt have to care another card in my wallet every month for emergencys.... I used to be fine with the 3k, but now reach to that point almost mid cycle..... 

I dont want to get FR'd or have AA taken on my account so I will not be calling amex, nor applying for another card from them until aleast next year... I was just wondering how long does the hard limit typically take to go away and become no pre set limit again.... 

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
swpopham
Established Contributor

Re: WHEN DOES AMEX HARD LIMIT GO AWAY.....

I got to ask about your fr we just got one and sent the tax form over. What happens now? I heard unless they give you a hard limit for a pre set time it will always stay a hard limit until you open a new card.
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 2 of 34
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Never heard of a hard limit other then the Zync
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 3 of 34
Crashem
Valued Contributor

For what others have gone through, about 13 months is normal.  You might want to call them up.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 34
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Well with me I was first told to call them and speak to the FR department. I called in and a very kind lady told me to send over my proof of income and 3 month bank statments... my FR was in Feb so I told the lovely lady that I didnt file taxes yet.. She was like ok no problem and just send those 2 things... Waited a week and the following monday they call me and say a hard limit was placed on my account for 3,000 and i also got an email that morning telling me the same thing.. They said u can go using ur card now... and thats all... good luck to you !!! 

I really hope that it is not true that the hard limit will never get taken off....... That will suck 3,000 is way to less for me for the rest of my life....lol I have heard of other users having their hard limits just disappear... I dont know if you have to apply first for a new card and then it will go away... I just dont want to get FR'd again..... 

Message 5 of 34
youngman1234
Established Contributor

I dont want to call them..... I think will first ask for financials and all that crap first like another FR before they change the limit.... 

Message 6 of 34
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Well, when you did file taxes, did you ever send them the transcripts from the IRS?

That's the only way I can see them taking the hard limit off...if reported income to the IRS is close to what you put on your app....

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 7 of 34
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Crashem, 

I just looked at your signature.... Im so jealous....LOL Penfed rewards 30K man i wish i could get that kind of limit from them... they did soft me on the 6/12 but no offers at that time i had 2 large balance showing and score was 620-640 range... Now back to normal 747

What is JFCU ??? can anyone apply to this CU 

Also What is SF ??? 

Message 8 of 34
youngman1234
Established Contributor

No never sent them the 4506T form cus they never asked me to....... 

Message 9 of 34
youngman1234
Established Contributor

I did apply for a Business gold charge back in april and was declined.... They sent me a letter saying that according to their internal scoring model my account is highly risky to them... I have a perfect payment history will all my cards... IDK what their issue is... I PIF every month on all my cards... Back in 2010 I applied for a gold charge and was declined reason was I build too much credit too fast ??? - Go figure i didnt know you could do that....lol ( I do admit I have been building my credit profile pretty quick compared to most users on the board and people that I know)... But hey I PIF every month, never had a late, no derogs, and handle 19 tradelines resposibly and I am only 22... 

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.