Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?

I'm on the NFCU site checking out the various cards on offer.My question is, which one to go after? I want a card with a low interest rate and rewards such as rental car insurance coverage,cash back rewards.Which one do you recommend? My credit scores are about 694 EQ but I do have one 2 year old collection on my file that falls off in march.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?

Do any of you have the NFCU Master Card goWards Card? The Annual fee looks really good only $18.And the card has every feature for car rental insurance. Any opinions?

Goal 750 Across

Message 2 of 11
CreditScoreBlueprint
New Contributor

I took NFCU's platinum card since they offer the lowest rates I've personally ever seen on a credit card. Then I got myself an AMEX Blue Cash card for the benefits and rewards.

Message 3 of 11
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@CreditScoreBlueprint wrote:

I took NFCU's platinum card since they offer the lowest rates I've personally ever seen on a credit card. Then I got myself an AMEX Blue Cash card for the benefits and rewards.

Very nice decision.Does NFCU offer a card with a chip in the card?

Goal 750 Across

Message 4 of 11
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@CreditScoreBlueprint wrote:

Can I ask what your credit was when you applied for the Platinum?

Goal 750 Across

Message 5 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@MountainHiker wrote:

I'm on the NFCU site checking out the various cards on offer.My question is, which one to go after? I want a card with a low interest rate and rewards such as rental car insurance coverage,cash back rewards.Which one do you recommend? My credit scores are about 694 EQ but I do have one 2 year old collection on my file that falls off in march.

I think you should go for the Cash Rewards Visa.  If you are approved for an amount greater than 5k you will get the signature version of the card.  If not you can wait 6 months or so and ask for a CLI and a card upgrade to the signature card.

The cashback is easy to redeem and you can start redeeming when your cash back balance reaches $20 or more.

The interest rate can be very competitive.  Mine was lowered to 12.65% in September of this year.

You start earning 1.5% cash after 10k in spend, prior to that, you earn a 1% cash back on everything.

Disputing a charge is easy with NFCU.  I had a Canadian vendor try to double charge me back in June,  NFCU took care of it with just one secure message sent from me from the secure message center.

The Signature card design is also very cool with a metallic looking green glove against a dark green matte finish background.  A huge improvement over the regular Visa card design.

Overall, the Cash Rewards card gets 3 thumbs up in my book!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 11
martinkk
Contributor

+1 Webhopper

Message 7 of 11
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

I would like to know, as well. I never hear people talk about it, but the rewards seem really good. And the card design is nice, too Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

I think you should go for the Cash Rewards Visa.  If you are approved for an amount greater than 5k you will get the signature version of the card.  If not you can wait 6 months or so and ask for a CLI and a card upgrade to the signature card.

The cashback is easy to redeem and you can start redeeming when your cash back balance reaches $20 or more.

The interest rate can be very competitive.  Mine was lowered to 12.65% in September of this year.

You start earning 1.5% cash after 10k in spend, prior to that, you earn a 1% cash back on everything.

Disputing a charge is easy with NFCU.  I had a Canadian vendor try to double charge me back in June,  NFCU took care of it with just one secure message sent from me from the secure message center.

The Signature card design is also very cool with a metallic looking green glove against a dark green matte finish background.  A huge improvement over the regular Visa card design.

Overall, the Cash Rewards card gets 3 thumbs up in my book!

Great info there. The cashrewards card does offer quite a few benefits.I really like not having to pay for auto insurance when renting cars. And cash back is allways a nice preference. What do you know about the goRewards cards?

I wish that collection was allready off so I could work with a clean report. But it is what it is. I imagine my credit offer will be reduced by $3K-$5K because of this collection.Someone told me that I should put a message on my credit report explaining that derog to minimize it's effect. Man I had no idea there were so many NFCU locations.They are every where.

Goal 750 Across

Message 9 of 11
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

I looked at the GoRewards brosure and t looks like the GoRewards is between 1 and 1.7% in rewards.

The Cash Rewards is between 1 and 1.5%.

Do we know if the 1.5% is retroactive afeter $10,000 of spending, or only to the spending after $10,000?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.