Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 651
Registered: ‎08-07-2012
0

WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?

I'm on the NFCU site checking out the various cards on offer.My question is, which one to go after? I want a card with a low interest rate and rewards such as rental car insurance coverage,cash back rewards.Which one do you recommend? My credit scores are about 694 EQ but I do have one 2 year old collection on my file that falls off in march.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Established Contributor
Posts: 651
Registered: ‎08-07-2012
0

Re: WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?

Do any of you have the NFCU Master Card goWards Card? The Annual fee looks really good only $18.And the card has every feature for car rental insurance. Any opinions?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
New Contributor
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎11-25-2011
0

Re: WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?

I took NFCU's platinum card since they offer the lowest rates I've personally ever seen on a credit card. Then I got myself an AMEX Blue Cash card for the benefits and rewards.

Established Contributor
Posts: 651
Registered: ‎08-07-2012
0

Re: WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?


CreditScoreBlueprint wrote:

I took NFCU's platinum card since they offer the lowest rates I've personally ever seen on a credit card. Then I got myself an AMEX Blue Cash card for the benefits and rewards.


Very nice decision.Does NFCU offer a card with a chip in the card?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Established Contributor
Posts: 651
Registered: ‎08-07-2012
0

Re: WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?


CreditScoreBlueprint wrote:

I took NFCU's platinum card since they offer the lowest rates I've personally ever seen on a credit card. Then I got myself an AMEX Blue Cash card for the benefits and rewards.


Can I ask what your credit was when you applied for the Platinum?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 7,225
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?


MountainHiker wrote:

I'm on the NFCU site checking out the various cards on offer.My question is, which one to go after? I want a card with a low interest rate and rewards such as rental car insurance coverage,cash back rewards.Which one do you recommend? My credit scores are about 694 EQ but I do have one 2 year old collection on my file that falls off in march.


I think you should go for the Cash Rewards Visa.  If you are approved for an amount greater than 5k you will get the signature version of the card.  If not you can wait 6 months or so and ask for a CLI and a card upgrade to the signature card.

The cashback is easy to redeem and you can start redeeming when your cash back balance reaches $20 or more.

The interest rate can be very competitive.  Mine was lowered to 12.65% in September of this year.

 

You start earning 1.5% cash after 10k in spend, prior to that, you earn a 1% cash back on everything.

 

Disputing a charge is easy with NFCU.  I had a Canadian vendor try to double charge me back in June,  NFCU took care of it with just one secure message sent from me from the secure message center.

 

The Signature card design is also very cool with a metallic looking green glove against a dark green matte finish background.  A huge improvement over the regular Visa card design.

 

Overall, the Cash Rewards card gets 3 thumbs up in my book!

 


Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎08-23-2010
0

Re: WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?

+1 Webhopper

Contributor
Posts: 75
Registered: ‎07-15-2011
0

Re: WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?

I would like to know, as well. I never hear people talk about it, but the rewards seem really good. And the card design is nice, too :smileyhappy:

Established Contributor
Posts: 651
Registered: ‎08-07-2012
0

Re: WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?


webhopper wrote:

MountainHiker wrote:

I'm on the NFCU site checking out the various cards on offer.My question is, which one to go after? I want a card with a low interest rate and rewards such as rental car insurance coverage,cash back rewards.Which one do you recommend? My credit scores are about 694 EQ but I do have one 2 year old collection on my file that falls off in march.


I think you should go for the Cash Rewards Visa.  If you are approved for an amount greater than 5k you will get the signature version of the card.  If not you can wait 6 months or so and ask for a CLI and a card upgrade to the signature card.

The cashback is easy to redeem and you can start redeeming when your cash back balance reaches $20 or more.

The interest rate can be very competitive.  Mine was lowered to 12.65% in September of this year.

 

You start earning 1.5% cash after 10k in spend, prior to that, you earn a 1% cash back on everything.

 

Disputing a charge is easy with NFCU.  I had a Canadian vendor try to double charge me back in June,  NFCU took care of it with just one secure message sent from me from the secure message center.

 

The Signature card design is also very cool with a metallic looking green glove against a dark green matte finish background.  A huge improvement over the regular Visa card design.

 

Overall, the Cash Rewards card gets 3 thumbs up in my book!

 


Great info there. The cashrewards card does offer quite a few benefits.I really like not having to pay for auto insurance when renting cars. And cash back is allways a nice preference. What do you know about the goRewards cards?

 

 I wish that collection was allready off so I could work with a clean report. But it is what it is. I imagine my credit offer will be reduced by $3K-$5K because of this collection.Someone told me that I should put a message on my credit report explaining that derog to minimize it's effect. Man I had no idea there were so many NFCU locations.They are every where.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Contributor
Posts: 75
Registered: ‎07-15-2011
0

Re: WHICH NFCU CREDIT CARD TO GET?

I looked at the GoRewards brosure and t looks like the GoRewards is between 1 and 1.7% in rewards.

 

The Cash Rewards is between 1 and 1.5%.

 

Do we know if the 1.5% is retroactive afeter $10,000 of spending, or only to the spending after $10,000?

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.