Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

I have a 2 year old unpaid collection($818 phone bill) on my file? I'm tempted  to app for a card with them.What are my odds?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

My scores are pretty simliar to your ,and  discover decline me about 2 months ago due to a judgement, and unpaid collection that both fall off in may. utilization was 3% on about 20k of available credit I have.  no lates on my TU report. They told me to pay collection ,and they would be able to reconsider. I declined as it falls off in a few months, anf I am not about to risk reaging the account for a credit  card I really do not need .

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 2 of 26
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I'd probably hold off on Discover with any unpaid collections.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 26
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Agree with avoiding them with anything unpaid.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 26
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@toppers555 wrote:

My scores are pretty simliar to your ,and  discover decline me about 2 months ago due to a judgement, and unpaid collection that both fall off in may. utilization was 3% on about 20k of available credit I have.  no lates on my TU report. They told me to pay collection ,and they would be able to reconsider. I declined as it falls off in a few months, anf I am not about to risk reaging the account for a credit  card I really do not need .

Wise decision about not paying the collection.It's better to address it after the 7 year period has concluded. That is EXACTLY why I have not paid off my collection.It falls off in 3 months this march. Thanks for the advice on Discover. My scores are iffy at best for Discover requirements but a collection makes it difficult. It would seem that not only are credit unions more forgiving but many are just as good as the top prime cards. At this point I want NFCU, a Discover card and will focus on growing my Freedom card. That is really all I need.

Goal 750 Across

Message 5 of 26
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Its tough having a itchy trigger finger. March will be here soon. I wonder which card is harder to get, Discover or USAA?

Goal 750 Across

Message 6 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@MountainHiker wrote:

I have a 2 year old unpaid collection($818 phone bill) on my file? I'm tempted  to app for a card with them.What are my odds?

I apped for them in late October and was declined. When I called to recon they had an issue with my 6-1/2 year old unpaid co for $380. There was no getting around it cause I sure in the hell wasn't paying it since it drops of in March. PayPal MasterCard and Nordstrom didn't mind it siting there so why should I ? Smiley Very Happy 

Message 7 of 26
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

I apped for them in late October and was declined. When I called to recon they had an issue with my 6-1/2 year old unpaid co for $380. There was no getting around it cause I sure in the hell wasn't paying it since it drops of in March. PayPal MasterCard and Nordstrom didn't mind it siting there so why should I ? Smiley Very Happy 

Its risky paying a collection so close to the time its suppose to fall off a credit report.Better to pay it after its removed if the dated old. account.

Goal 750 Across

Message 8 of 26
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I'm new to stuff like this. What is the risk of paying the collection before it falls off?
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 9 of 26
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
I'm new to stuff like this. What is the risk of paying the collection before it falls off?

It could stay on your credit report longer.

Goal 750 Across

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.