Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 651
Registered: ‎08-07-2012
0

WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

I have a 2 year old unpaid collection($818 phone bill) on my file? I'm tempted  to app for a card with them.What are my odds?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Established Contributor
Posts: 554
Registered: ‎09-28-2012
0

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

My scores are pretty simliar to your ,and  discover decline me about 2 months ago due to a judgement, and unpaid collection that both fall off in may. utilization was 3% on about 20k of available credit I have.  no lates on my TU report. They told me to pay collection ,and they would be able to reconsider. I declined as it falls off in a few months, anf I am not about to risk reaging the account for a credit  card I really do not need .



TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!


Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,491
Registered: ‎07-25-2008
0

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

I'd probably hold off on Discover with any unpaid collections.


Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,142
Registered: ‎05-17-2010
0

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

Agree with avoiding them with anything unpaid.  

Established Contributor
Posts: 651
Registered: ‎08-07-2012
0

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....


toppers555 wrote:

My scores are pretty simliar to your ,and  discover decline me about 2 months ago due to a judgement, and unpaid collection that both fall off in may. utilization was 3% on about 20k of available credit I have.  no lates on my TU report. They told me to pay collection ,and they would be able to reconsider. I declined as it falls off in a few months, anf I am not about to risk reaging the account for a credit  card I really do not need .


Wise decision about not paying the collection.It's better to address it after the 7 year period has concluded. That is EXACTLY why I have not paid off my collection.It falls off in 3 months this march. Thanks for the advice on Discover. My scores are iffy at best for Discover requirements but a collection makes it difficult. It would seem that not only are credit unions more forgiving but many are just as good as the top prime cards. At this point I want NFCU, a Discover card and will focus on growing my Freedom card. That is really all I need.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Established Contributor
Posts: 651
Registered: ‎08-07-2012
0

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

Its tough having a itchy trigger finger. March will be here soon. I wonder which card is harder to get, Discover or USAA?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Moderator
Posts: 27,206
Registered: ‎09-13-2012
0

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....


MountainHiker wrote:

I have a 2 year old unpaid collection($818 phone bill) on my file? I'm tempted  to app for a card with them.What are my odds?


I apped for them in late October and was declined. When I called to recon they had an issue with my 6-1/2 year old unpaid co for $380. There was no getting around it cause I sure in the hell wasn't paying it since it drops of in March. PayPal MasterCard and Nordstrom didn't mind it siting there so why should I ? :smileyvery-happy: 

 

Established Contributor
Posts: 651
Registered: ‎08-07-2012
0

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....


09Lexie wrote:

MountainHiker wrote:

I have a 2 year old unpaid collection($818 phone bill) on my file? I'm tempted  to app for a card with them.What are my odds?


I apped for them in late October and was declined. When I called to recon they had an issue with my 6-1/2 year old unpaid co for $380. There was no getting around it cause I sure in the hell wasn't paying it since it drops of in March. PayPal MasterCard and Nordstrom didn't mind it siting there so why should I ? :smileyvery-happy: 

 


Its risky paying a collection so close to the time its suppose to fall off a credit report.Better to pay it after its removed if the dated old. account.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,406
Registered: ‎12-19-2012
0

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

I'm new to stuff like this. What is the risk of paying the collection before it falls off?
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! :smileyhappy: Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Established Contributor
Posts: 651
Registered: ‎08-07-2012
0

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....


MovingForward_2012 wrote:
I'm new to stuff like this. What is the risk of paying the collection before it falls off?

It could stay on your credit report longer.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.