Established Contributor
MountainHiker

WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

I have a 2 year old unpaid collection($818 phone bill) on my file? I'm tempted  to app for a card with them.What are my odds?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Established Contributor
toppers555

Re: WILL DISCOVER TURN ME DOWN IF.....

My scores are pretty simliar to your ,and  discover decline me about 2 months ago due to a judgement, and unpaid collection that both fall off in may. utilization was 3% on about 20k of available credit I have.  no lates on my TU report. They told me to pay collection ,and they would be able to reconsider. I declined as it falls off in a few months, anf I am not about to risk reaging the account for a credit  card I really do not need .

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Senior Contributor
drkaje

I'd probably hold off on Discover with any unpaid collections.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 754 FICO, EQ 737FICO
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
visorboy1974

Agree with avoiding them with anything unpaid.  

Established Contributor
MountainHiker

toppers555 wrote:

My scores are pretty simliar to your ,and  discover decline me about 2 months ago due to a judgement, and unpaid collection that both fall off in may. utilization was 3% on about 20k of available credit I have.  no lates on my TU report. They told me to pay collection ,and they would be able to reconsider. I declined as it falls off in a few months, anf I am not about to risk reaging the account for a credit  card I really do not need .

Wise decision about not paying the collection.It's better to address it after the 7 year period has concluded. That is EXACTLY why I have not paid off my collection.It falls off in 3 months this march. Thanks for the advice on Discover. My scores are iffy at best for Discover requirements but a collection makes it difficult. It would seem that not only are credit unions more forgiving but many are just as good as the top prime cards. At this point I want NFCU, a Discover card and will focus on growing my Freedom card. That is really all I need.

Goal 750 Across

Established Contributor
MountainHiker

Its tough having a itchy trigger finger. March will be here soon. I wonder which card is harder to get, Discover or USAA?

Goal 750 Across

09Lexie

MountainHiker wrote:

I have a 2 year old unpaid collection($818 phone bill) on my file? I'm tempted  to app for a card with them.What are my odds?

I apped for them in late October and was declined. When I called to recon they had an issue with my 6-1/2 year old unpaid co for $380. There was no getting around it cause I sure in the hell wasn't paying it since it drops of in March. PayPal MasterCard and Nordstrom didn't mind it siting there so why should I ? :smileyvery-happy: 

Established Contributor
MountainHiker

09Lexie wrote:

MountainHiker wrote:

I apped for them in late October and was declined. When I called to recon they had an issue with my 6-1/2 year old unpaid co for $380. There was no getting around it cause I sure in the hell wasn't paying it since it drops of in March. PayPal MasterCard and Nordstrom didn't mind it siting there so why should I ? :smileyvery-happy: 

Its risky paying a collection so close to the time its suppose to fall off a credit report.Better to pay it after its removed if the dated old. account.

Goal 750 Across

Valued Contributor
MovingForward_2012

I'm new to stuff like this. What is the risk of paying the collection before it falls off?
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! :smileyhappy: Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Established Contributor
MountainHiker

MovingForward_2012 wrote:
I'm new to stuff like this. What is the risk of paying the collection before it falls off?

It could stay on your credit report longer.

Goal 750 Across

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+