cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WILL ORCHARD COMBINE MASTERCARD AND VISA?!

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

WILL ORCHARD COMBINE MASTERCARD AND VISA?!

I have an Orchard MC opened in 1999 with $1350 limit, and Orchard Visa opened in 2005 with $1150 limit.

The MC started with $500 limit and the Visa w/$750.  The CLIs were always just nice suprises..never requested.  Interest is 18.99 on MC and 14.99 on Visa.

Have perfect payment history on both, but as now not in subprime land any more (have Amex, Discover, BoA), would like to combine these cards to keep the CL but dont want to pay two (make that ANY AF!). I also want to keep the history on the MC, which I guess I get to do even if I close the card.

I've read some posts about this, but most involve combining HSBC and Orchard, and both of mine have "Orchard" on the front.

Has anyone had success recently with this?  I'd like to keep the Visa's lower interest and  close the MC, but I'd of course like to keep the total CLs.

I'd be grateful if someone would chime in on their  experience with this.  Any advice is appreciated.
FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: WILL ORCHARD COMBINE MASTERCARD AND VISA?!

HSBC will more than likely combine the Visa and MC, but there is no guarantee that you will keep the combined credit line.

However, in all cases I have read from members posting they did keep their full credit line. But, yours are higher than normal, and HSBC might not be cool with that.

Which makes no logical sense to me, as either way you would retain the same spending power.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 7
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks for the input, Fretless!

Guess I'll just need to call to find out what they'll do.  Cards are due to renew in Nov and Dec so I want to get taken care of before then.

I want to combine cards AND get AF waived, but that may be asking too much.  IF they'll give the total CL on one card, might be worth the AF, but from what I've read, they won't even tell you what your limit is on the phone....you have to wait to get paperwork from them. 

It does seem that they'd give the total under one card, as I have that much anyway, like you said. But logic doesn't always come into play in these situations!!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did this just recently and the customer service rep told me that I could combine cards, but it would only be for the account history, not the credit line.  I said "ok" because the main reason was to keep my account history and to not have to pay the $79 annual fee on the old one ($39 on the newer).  They sent me the forms, and I signed and sent them back.  About a week later, I checked my accounts and one was closed and the other had the combined credit line! Nice Surprise!  Anyway, good luck.
Message 4 of 7
rom828
Established Contributor

Boy, I hope I'm that fortunate!

I want to close the MC with the higher interest and AF, and keep the Visa open, but WITH the total CL, so maybe there's hope! 

And I want to retain the almost 10 yr history of the MC, which I know will show for 10 yrs even closed, but I'd love it if they'd put that  history on the Visa.

Is that what they meant when they told you they'd combine for 'history'..not CL??  Does the card you kept open (with the combined limits!!!!)  reflect your oldest history?

Did you approach them about eliminating the AF all together?  I'm a little leery of asking for too much...combining, retaining history and CLs  AND  no AF!!  Not too sure they'd go for that!

FICOS as of 7-9-08:   TU 690    EQ  683   EX 719

Message Edited by rom828 on 07-16-2008 09:56 AM
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that is what I meant about combining history.  I wanted to make sure I kept the history on my oldest card.  They will not delete the AF.  I have had the AF reversed when threatening to close it, but my fiance did the same, and they called her bluff (we closed it anyway) so be careful with that strategy.  There is no guarantee that you will have the CLs combined, but you could.  The only problem is, the only way to find out is to try, and if you try then one card is being closed whether you like it or not.
Message 6 of 7
rom828
Established Contributor

Since the CL's not a guarantee, I'll need to be strategic as to when to request.....

need to do it before Orchard  renews and adds AF on MC, but maybe after I get a CLI or two on these new cards, which I hope will be in October....at least just enough to make up the diff it I lose the CL of one of the Orchards.

I still think it will be worth it  to combine even at the cost  of the CL ....just can't justify paying AF on both  cards...especially when I don't even use the MC anymore because of the interest rate.  The Visa rate is not as bad and in actually in line with my 'primes'.

I just wasn't clear on whether they would transfer the MC history to the Visa, so now that I know they will, (or at least did for you!),  I'll plan to do this shortly.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.