cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM Discover Upgrade but question about cash back?

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

WM Discover Upgrade but question about cash back?

Just got my new card in the mail. Doubled my credit line on my WM store card from $1500--> $3000! Super excited! Been a good month on credit limit increases with them, JCP, my Capital One cards, and even my 1 month old Old Navy card! Plus I closed my Credit One rebuilder finally! Smiley LOL

Anyway, back to the point,  I was reading the phamplet that came with it and it says the 1% cash back is only available when you spend over $3000 in year to date purchases. I have this on my Discover Motiva as well (which I never use since the credit line is $500 after 6 years), so I know about it for that card. Does anyone know if they count the amount spent on my WM card before towrds that $3000? And also, does the 1% apply in Sam's too? On my Motiva I think they said those purchases don't qualify for cash back or count towards my $3000 qualifying spending for the year. That's going to suck, as I really use my card mostly at Sam's in store and for gas, and not Wal-Mart (personal boycott on shopping in store at WM, but I will order online and ship it).

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: WM Discover Upgrade but question about cash back?

I don't think store card earn any cash back but Dicover WM does........and it's apply for anything.......Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 99% how it's work.

0.25 for 1000 annual 

0.50 for 2000 annual

1% for 3000 annual.

you would see it under Walmart Credit Card application pages. There more details about it.

Hope it help

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 6

The reward percentages will depend on your total spending during a calendar year and will be .25% on total purchases up to $1,500, .50% on total purchases from $1,500.01 to $3,000 and 1% on total purchases over $3,000. A rebate check will be issued each time you accrue $10 in rewards.

Message 3 of 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If I understand you correctly you're asking if your YTD spending on your walmart store card before you recieved the upgrade will count towards your cashback spending threshold on your walmart discover? 

I don't think so. when you upgrade to a walmart discover account, your initial walmart account is closed, and a new account is opened in your name. I don't think the spending would transfer over to the new account, but I am not entirely sure. GE added a new "Chat Now" feature to their credit card portal for walmart, I would ask them there, or call up. 

Message 4 of 6
chan85
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

If I understand you correctly you're asking if your YTD spending on your walmart store card before you recieved the upgrade will count towards your cashback spending threshold on your walmart discover? 

I don't think so. when you upgrade to a walmart discover account, your initial walmart account is closed, and a new account is opened in your name. I don't think the spending would transfer over to the new account, but I am not entirely sure. GE added a new "Chat Now" feature to their credit card portal for walmart, I would ask them there, or call up. 

Juscool yes, that was the question lol

i knew all the info provided in the other responses and they didn't answer my question, but thanks everyone. ok ill try that chat now feature, i hate calling because i spend most my time explaining how they missinterpreted my question and end up frustrated and hanging up...

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 5 of 6
chan85
Established Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

I don't think store card earn any cash back but Dicover WM does........and it's apply for anything.......Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 99% how it's work.

0.25 for 1000 annual 

0.50 for 2000 annual

1% for 3000 annual.

you would see it under Walmart Credit Card application pages. There more details about it.

Hope it help

i know the store card doesn't earn cash back, i meant would they transfer my YTD spending on the store card over to the Discover version to count toward the tiers in the cash back rebates.....

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.