cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM Discover w/o application... should I keep it?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

WM Discover w/o application... should I keep it?

Well, I log into my Wal Mart store account today to check my recent payment, and when I do it asks me to select which account I want... the WM store card, or WM discover? I was so confused, and at first nervous wondering if someone got my information so I called. The rep told me that they are just giving qualified cardholders WM discover cards. I felt so much better knowing that it wasnt fraud, and I hung up. If I cancel this card, will it still show up on my credit report? I don't want my AAOA to be messed with and I don't want a new account to be added as I'm trying to let them age so that I can get the cards I actually want in the future. Anyone had this happen and know the affects via your CR?

Also, if I can keep it from going on my CR I will, but is the WM discover a good card? Would this be something I should consider keeping?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: WM Discover w/o application... should I keep it?

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

Well, I log into my Wal Mart store account today to check my recent payment, and when I do it asks me to select which account I want... the WM store card, or WM discover? I was so confused, and at first nervous wondering if someone got my information so I called. The rep told me that they are just giving qualified cardholders WM discover cards. I felt so much better knowing that it wasnt fraud, and I hung up. If I cancel this card, will it still show up on my credit report? I don't want my AAOA to be messed with and I don't want a new account to be added as I'm trying to let them age so that I can get the cards I actually want in the future. Anyone had this happen and know the affects via your CR?

Also, if I can keep it from going on my CR I will, but is the WM discover a good card? Would this be something I should consider keeping?

Take it and congrats on the upgrade

It will be a new TL and they will close out the old TL but now you can use it outside of Walmart....

I would take it its a win/win 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

what do you mean they will close the old tradeline? They are going to close my WM store Card? I have other cards I can use anywhere, but I was wanting to apply for better cards that I might get a higher limit with in about 6 months, and didnt want this account to interfere with that unless it had some perks or some reason to keep it. I didnt know they could just open a trade without my approval?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

what do you mean they will close the old tradeline? They are going to close my WM store Card? I have other cards I can use anywhere, but I was wanting to apply for better cards that I might get a higher limit with in about 6 months, and didnt want this account to interfere with that unless it had some perks or some reason to keep it. I didnt know they could just open a trade without my approval?

If you accept it yes they will close the store card...sorry 

You can say no you don't want it you should have received mail about the time period to say no...unless you missed it and it has gone through already.

People had like 60 days to say no if they didn't respond then that meant they accepted the offer ....call if you don't want it because at this point I think you missed the mail....

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 11
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

What are they going to do with the balance? They said the limit was $800 on the discover and I have a $1400 balance on WM store card.

Message 5 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

What are they going to do with the balance? They said the limit was $800 on the discover and I have a $1400 balance on WM store card.

You need to call them YMMV but in most cases they saw a CLI

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You should have received a letter indicating your account was upgraded. In that letter you had a window of about 30 days in which to decline the card or they will send you the Discover card.
Message 7 of 11
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

best bet would be to call them and ask Smiley Wink that way you can make a better informed decision based on what you want to do...gl!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 8 of 11
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

ok, looks like it was just created and I happened to catch it online. I was on hold so long the first time I figured I'd just check here before calling back, but I will call them and see. If my limit is lower I'll need to find out what happens to the balance? Thanks for all the information you were able to provide. I'll wait for a letter to read the details and call back.

Thanks guys!

Message 9 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Don't wait for the letter if you can see the account already IMHO you missed the letter...Call before the changes take effect or it may be to late JMO tho

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.