cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW! F/R'd TWICE IN 3 MONTHS BY AMEX!!!!

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: WOW! F/R'd TWICE IN 3 MONTHS BY AMEX!!!!

Hey OP never leave home without something else besides Amex in your kick. Two AR's? Shred that bad boy. They won't even let you explain the circumstances right? It's just a piece of plastic after all. You could have gotten a cash advance on a 400 Dollar Orchard for gosh sakes. Who needs who more? Lots of banks out there willing to loan you money. Dump it.
Message 11 of 36
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

BOA offers to let me cash advance all of my 20k limit via direct deposit into my checking account OP. They seem pretty cash advance friendly, and are definitely a great lender if you need to consider replacements.
Here we go again...
Message 12 of 36
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
BOA offers to let me cash advance all of my 20k limit via direct deposit into my checking account OP. They seem pretty cash advance friendly, and are definitely a great lender if you need to consider replacements.

Penfed too but I would NEVER take a cash advance on a credit card EVER.
Message 13 of 36
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@smallfry wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

Oh I definitely try not to, but I've been put in the position where there was no other option.

I went ahead and opened a line of credit with NFCU to try and eliminate the need to ever cash advance again. The fees and interest suck.
Here we go again...
Message 14 of 36
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

Oh I definitely try not to, but I've been put in the position where there was no other option.

I went ahead and opened a line of credit with NFCU to try and eliminate the need to ever cash advance again. The fees and interest suck.

No fees with Penfed and the interest rate is the regular APR for purchases. The clock does start immediately on the interest however. All in all not too bad.
Message 15 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just because they set the terms and conditions on their money doesn't mean they should be ridiculous about it. It is why they will never have my business nor the business of many others on this thread. They should disclose upfront - if you are a new customer we will interpret a wide variety of acts as threatening and be a general pain in the butt. If they came out and said that they would avoid many new apps and probably save money by precluding the need for a F/R Department.
Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:
Like all CCCs, Amex is lending unsecured money, so they set the rules.  If we don't like them, we do have options  Smiley Happy

Exactly, and as I said for this reason, I will NEVER apply with them.
However, I can see where OP is coming from - if you already have it and the credit limit is going to make a big impact on util...
Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the cash advance probably looks pretty bad. To them it looks like you ran out of cash in your bank account.

I really wanted to have new Amex cards over the past year but instead I applied for other bank cards to fill my need. My only Amex is a very old and fear of loosing it stops me from using it. So it holds down my UTL. Too scared to charge anything on it. Thinking about applying for Green or Gold but the F/R keep me wondering.
Message 18 of 36
aftermath
Established Contributor

ilovepizza wrote:
I think the cash advance probably looks pretty bad. To them it looks like you ran out of cash in your bank account.

I really wanted to have new Amex cards over the past year but instead I applied for other bank cards to fill my need. My only Amex is a very old and fear of loosing it stops me from using it. So it holds down my UTL. Too scared to charge anything on it. Thinking about applying for Green or Gold but the F/R keep me wondering.

I hear a lot of people say the same thing as you. "... i don't use it, in fear of losing it..."

You won't lose it unless you have something to hide.  If they ask for proof of income, all you need to do is supply it to them.  Yes it's an inconvenience but as long as you can prove your financials, you wont lose it.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

aftermath wrote:

Yes it's an inconvenience but as long as you can prove your financials, you wont lose it.

actually some have reported being closed down, even after complying w/the f/r. i don't know if they had something to hide or not, but they indicated otherwise and given amex's rep on the matter i'm leaning towards beleiving the person who was willing to let amex snoop.
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.