Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WaMu pre-app for 0% BT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

WaMu pre-app for 0% BT

Hi all! Happy 4th of July!
I have some questions concerning an 'exclusive pre-approved'* offer from WaMu for 0% fixed APR until Aug.1 2009 on Balances transferred NOW and a Credit Line up to $7,500. The ad highlighted the NOW, and in the terms it says the introductory APR will apply to BT requested in connection with this application.
Also after the * further down the page it says *Please see the Terms & Conditions on reverse for important info about this pre-app offer, rates, and applicable BT fees. For the 12 month period ending March 2008, the median credit line received was $2,000.

I currently have a Providian Visa ( $2,500 CL with $2,150 bal.)  with an obnoxious APR of 26% because of a rate hike from 12% earlier this year due to high util. and an HSBC Platinum 15.999% ( $750 CL with $550 bal.) 
In my pre-Fico forum days, I unwittingly assumed paying on time & above min. was satisfactory, if not a GOOD THING! Live & learn...

That all said, I've been waiting for something like this to appear in my mail since I am too lax to apply @ my credit union nor have I recieved any CC offer other than annual fee high APR types. So now here are my questions.

1- Since WaMu IS Providian, are they trying to help me after screwing me? Or is it just a computer program spitting out data & adresses?

2- Since it is the same company, am I risking getting my nose cut off to spite my face? Is it a conflict of interest for WaMu to take on a BT from the aforementioned Providian card? I'm not comfortable with the horror stories I've read about cards being cancelled & CL lowered below what is allready owed. I don't want to get into a bigger mess. My scores have gone up since I found this site, I am loathe to take steps back.

3- When & if I apply for the BT do I state a higher amount than I want transferred? I am wondering that because if I get approved, will that just show as another high util. while lowering another? Is there a way you can know your CL before choosing what you want to move around as far as BTs go?

4- Lastly, if I did apply & was approved should I BT the ENTIRE balance owed on the Providian, or was the * of the median of $2,000 pretty much what I should expect to get, if I get it?

I'm chomping at the bit wanting to go & just gitRdone, but I value everyones insight & await some advice. I hope I wasn't overly wordy, but I lost my abbreviation list, and inks allmost as bad as gas, so I didn't print another Smiley Surprised)
Thank you all!
*cheers*  Joy
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: WaMu pre-app for 0% BT

WaMu is Providian.  They won't even let you BT from a Providian card onto a new WaMu card.
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheddar, I know they are the same bank, this is why I want to know why they would offer me this.
I'm going to go & just do it. I'm impatient.
I'll post my results Smiley Surprised)
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

butters wrote:
Cheddar, I know they are the same bank, this is why I want to know why they would offer me this.
I'm going to go & just do it. I'm impatient.
I'll post my results Smiley Surprised)

Good luck!

What I'm saying, though, is that banks will not let you BT from one of their own cards to another.  Your questions are all about should you do this and should you do that.  I'm saying it's a moot point because they won't let you.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand why they would offer that? Now I feel stupid.
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

butters wrote:
I don't understand why they would offer that? Now I feel stupid.

Don't feel stupid.  No reason for that.

They are offering you an opportunity to apply (not necessarily to be approved) for a card with a low BT rate.  You can still use it (if you are approved) to BT a balance from a card issued by another company, just not from another card issued by them.

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-04-2008 01:01 PM
Message 6 of 21
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

You could also find out if they would electronically deposit the balance transfer directly to your checking account.

Won’t hurt to ask

Message Edited by Cleanmachine on 07-04-2008 04:39 PM
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleanmachine wrote:

You could also find out if they would electronically deposit the balance transfer directly to your checking account.

Won’t hurt to ask

Good point.  Even if they won't do that though, WaMu sends me (and all of their cardholders, I'm sure) BT checks about every two weeks.  You could just make one of those out to yourself and deposit it, then use those funds to pay off any card you want to pay.

They keep my shredder busy.

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-04-2008 06:32 PM
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have yet to get any nice BT's ofers from WAMU

I get lots of them - just not good ones.

cheddar wrote:

Cleanmachine wrote:

Won’t hurt to ask

Good point.  Even if they won't do that though, WaMu sends me (and all of their cardholders, I'm sure) BT checks about every two weeks.  You could just make one of those out to yourself and deposit it, then use those funds to pay off any card you want to pay.

They keep my shredder busy.

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-04-2008 06:32 PM

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I receive tons of 1.99% transfers, as Cheddar stated, every couple of weeks. My first WaMu card was originally 19.99%, which is now 10.24%. I was approved for their new offer - referred to by the OP, for UP to $7500. Was given $5000 and 9.99% APR after the year of 0%/0%.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.