cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wait to apply with "excellent" vs "good" utilization for greater limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait to apply with "excellent" vs "good" utilization for greater limit?

I know this is a pretty vague question and I'm aware that everyone's credit file is different so there's no real rule here... but say you've got "good" overall credit (low 700's scores across the board) and all of your credit factors are also "good" including your current utilization which say sits at 28%.  If you're considering applying for 2-3 more cards and you're pretty confident in approval on all 3, would it be worthwhile to wait another month or two if you knew you could get that 28% UTL down to 9% and hit the "excellent" category?  I ask not because of the possible small bump in credit score over those 2 months, but because of credit limit.  All things being equal, and again I know it's different for all cases, does having an "excellent" utilization ration of < 10% make much of a difference in the eyes of a potential lender with respect to initial credit limit verses a "good" utilization ratio?  If it's the difference between a $1500 limit and $2000 it doesn't really matter much to me, but if we're talking a $1500 limit compared to a $5000 limit, to me, it would be worth holding out for 2 months.  Hopefully this makes sense.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Wait to apply with "excellent" vs "good" utilization for greater limit?

Yes I would wait until your utilization is going to be 9% in the next month or so.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 5
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Mosst definitely wait!! My own experience, applied for Discover with high uti %, I was borderline, and they asked for a co-applicant. I let it go.  Fast forward, uti% is at 9%, I got approved for $4500sl. Of curse, like you said, all credit files are different and ymmv, but it gives you an idea of what uti% can do to a file. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 3 of 5
silkysean
Regular Contributor

I most definitely would would wait to its lower because you might get approved for higher limit and depending on Creditor better Apr. % and it just looks better on your credit profile when apping for new credit 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good... I will wait until I drop utilization down to 9%, hopefully around this time next month.  In another thread that I started I'm looking to remove 3 baddies from 2014 (30, 30, 60) from a Synchrony account that has a $4400 balance on it.  I was thinking of trying to entice them to remove the baddies by offering to pay off 50% of the remaining balance, around $2000 give or take.  In doing that my utilization would drop to 9%.  I want to try and remove those baddies at the same time rather than just pay the $2k and get nothing additional from it other than a better utilization % and obviously less "debt."  Anyone have luck removing reported late payments by enticing the creditor with a nice payment chunk?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.