Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wal Mart 24-48 hours ??

tag
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wal Mart 24-48 hours ??

Is a Sears card a premium bankcard?  Maybe you should try Discover....? I am new to this, but mine told me to go for a premum bankcard to help with the scores...
05/12: approx 680 across the board
04/08 EQ: 730 TU: 748 EX: 718
03/08: EQ: 713 TU: ? EX: ?
12/07: EQ: 689 TU: 711 EX: 721
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

rycoop wrote:
Hey, has anyone gotten approved for a Walmart Card with a 24-48 email follow up response? I just applied online and was wondering what the outcome was or if that's happened to anyone else.

Thanks guys! Smiley Happy

I applied for a Walmart Discover and it said that if you don't qualify for a Discover, they will consider you for a store card with the same app. I received the 24-48 hrs. message and thought I was denied. So I called immediately and asked if that means automatic denial. The CSR said "no, we just need to ask you to verify some information on your CR."

She then asked me a couple of questions regarding old addresses from years ago and after I answered the questions, she said that I was approved for a Walmart Discover with a $2500 CL.

So my DW wife then applied for the same card and got the same message. She however, did not call them like I did. They actually called her two days later from an unidentified toll free number and started to ask her for personal info. She told them she does not give out personal info on unknown cold calls. They said okay, we will just close out your application. So I called them them up and explained that when we do not know who is actually calling, we don't give out personal info because of all the scams going around and asked if it was really Walmart (actually GE Money Bank) who had called. They said yes and reopened the app. After asking my DW a few questions about old addresses on her credit app, they approved her for a $3000 CL.

Sorry for the long story, but I just wanted to let you know that 24-48 hrs does not automatically mean a denial. So don't give up hope. But expect a call and some questions about your past history. Good luck!

Sleigh17    
Message 12 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

rycoop wrote:
I agree Concorduser!! Stupid WalMart. Smiley Happy Soooo... I wonder how hard it is to get a Sears card. Someone told me it was hard and that they decline A LOT... I don't want the sears Mastercard.. I just want to get a store card TL so I can try to get my scores up. Does anyone know who sears pulls and what your score needs to be?

Thanks!

The Sears store card is weirdly difficult to get. I've heard story after story of people with great scores, and even with the Sears MC, who can't get the store card for love nor money.

Sears is handled by Citi. For my Sears MC, they pulled TU.

If you want to have a retail card for your mix of credit, you might look into the Best Buy store card. Be sure to apply in person or on the phone, because I understand that the online app will steer you toward the BB MC, which is icky. There are two tiers, and you want the one that offers 3 months same as cash, etc.

The BB store card tend to start with $1K credit limit and go up, because their stuff is expensive nad you need higher CL's. It is handled by HSBC, but I don't read as many cranky posts about it as about other HSBC products.

Try whogavemecredit-dot-com for the scores. They seem pretty forgiving of lower scores, although my son with scores in the low 700's only got $1K to start, because he has such a thin file.

Other store cards that people seem to love here are Home Depot (handled by Citi), Kohl's (handled by Chase), and Nordstrom, which has its own bank for CC's.

I'm not absolutely convinced that you have to have a retail card for your credit mix, but if you do, here's what to think about:
  • get a card where you actually shop
  • check into the bank behind it --how well do they treat their customers?
  • be prepared to PIF any balances --store cards usually have really high APR's
  • find out how easy it is to pay your bill --I think it's JCPenney's where if you pay at the store, it takes a week or more for the payment to post. How weird is that?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:

The Sears store card is weirdly difficult to get. I've heard story after story of people with great scores, and even with the Sears MC, who can't get the store card for love nor money.

"Weirdly difficult."  What a great way to put it.  And there are also many with great scores who, once they finally get it, wish they never had.

STBDW has had a Sears MC for 9 years with perfect Hx.  Her middle FICO is now 775.  They still won't lower her APR below 20-ish%.

The rewards program costs $25 a year to participate, and it basically equates to around 0.8% in the form of giftcards.

Yippee.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

...oh and I forgot to mention one other oddity regarding the rewards program.

The card is a Sears MC, yet actually using it at Sears or Kmart gets you nothing in particular in terms of rewards or perks.

Very weird.

Message 15 of 22
creditdream
Frequent Contributor

My wife love to do her shopping at wal-mart,and i am really intersting to apply for thier card ,but i am so afried to get decline,because i had BK in 2005 Smiley Mad
So any advise  BTW i have 2 account thru GEMB  ( JC PENNY,and MERVYN'S ) since last OCT-2007 .
thanks for your help Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 22
SWISSOATL
Contributor

Havent you learned anything form this forum!!!!!

Target is the Wave!!!!!!

I went from 200cl to 500cl to the Big boy $1000 Visa CLSmiley Very Happy

I say try for the Target card online and if declined clean up your credit some more!
EQ N/A
EXP- 692
TU- 673 3/10/08br>
Message 17 of 22
creditdream
Frequent Contributor

i can not have TARGET CARD ,because i had account with them in 1997 ,and it was part of my BK .
So they blacklist me .   Smiley Mad
Message 18 of 22
BethJ
Valued Member

Can anyone tell me how to reach their customer support? I applied for the Walmart card through GE Money bank 3 weeks ago and so far nothing.....no decline in the mail, no card, no inquiry on my credit report from them....and I'm starting to get worried. I just did a google search and there are many complaints.
03/16/2009 EQ 535 * EXP 581 * TU 586
7/13 EQ 616 * EXP 626 * TU 640
8/1 EQ 626 * EXP 640 *TU 603
Message 19 of 22
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.